SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
BagaJellyDonuts
BagaJellyDonuts is on a distinguished road

Default Four cylinder XR Vue?

I've been nosing around on the GM web based online order site. (it doesn't seem to be a site that is secure, in other words, it's open to the public) I went to see what's for for 2009 on Vues. Okay who sells these and has figured out the content of a ZLV26 Vue?

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...vehicleID=6860

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BagaJellyDonuts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BagaJellyDonuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BagaJellyDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY
Default Re: Four cylinder XR Vue?

I just saw this today too. While a 4-cyl FWD XR is listed under "New for 2009", there is no equipment info listed in the guide. I really hope this is going to happen because it has bugged me with GM vehicles in general that if you get a 4-cyl model, you're stuck with a cheap appearance/trim package. Now we have a 4-cyl Aura XR, Malibu LTZ and hopefully a Vue XR. What I would reallllly like though is a Turbo four Vue Red Line!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
BagaJellyDonuts

From the GM online order guide:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...&page=&butID=9

&

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...page=5&butID=3

&

a handy tool:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...009&regionID=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BagaJellyDonuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
skydrive

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagaJellyDonuts View Post
From the GM online order guide:
Thanks. I noticed those tidbits in the guide but no equipment breakdown for a 4-cyl XR. I'm just wondering if there are equipment differences as there are between 4-cyl & V6 AURA XR models. I did a quick search on AutoTrader and found no 2009 4-cyl VUE XRs listed. I wonder if the retailers have any info yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive View Post
I just saw this today too. While a 4-cyl FWD XR is listed under "New for 2009", there is no equipment info listed in the guide. I really hope this is going to happen because it has bugged me with GM vehicles in general that if you get a 4-cyl model, you're stuck with a cheap appearance/trim package. Now we have a 4-cyl Aura XR, Malibu LTZ and hopefully a Vue XR. What I would reallllly like though is a Turbo four Vue Red Line!
What would be the point of putting the turbo Ecotec in the VUE? The Sky Redline only gets 19/27mpg and it weighs over 900 pounds LESS than the VUE. So you'd have about the same horsepower as the 3.6L V6, but a wee bit more torque once the turbo spools up....and likely worse gas mileage. So what's the appeal again?

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I thought the new SATURN line-up was going to be a upscale theme, I guess wrong.

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell89 View Post
I thought the new SATURN line-up was going to be a upscale theme, I guess wrong.
I think a lot of people feel like the current theme (08's) are more "upscale" compared to the older ones (at least more upscale visually I guess)...unless you meant that the whole line was going to shift to Lexus/BMW/Acura or whatever else anyone would consider upscale.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
darnell89

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
I think a lot of people feel like the current theme (08's) are more "upscale" compared to the older ones (at least more upscale visually I guess)...unless you meant that the whole line was going to shift to Lexus/BMW/Acura or whatever else anyone would consider upscale.
lol, I wish. I mean as in stop putting the 4-cylinders in the upper levels. Keep them in the XE models. I was very disappointed when SATURN dropped the 6 cylinder in XE model of the Aura for 09, and replaced it with a 4 Cylinder in the XR. I still don't get what SATURN is trying to accomplish. If SATURN is going to do all this they might as well bring back the Manual Transmission in the Vue, and make it an option to the Aura division. I do like driving manuals, and SATURN doesn't have one in there nicer cars, except the Astra which isn't my favorite of the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: Four cylinder XR Vue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell89 View Post
lol, I wish. I mean as in stop putting the 4-cylinders in the upper levels. Keep them in the XE models. I was very disappointed when SATURN dropped the 6 cylinder in XE model of the Aura for 09, and replaced it with a 4 Cylinder in the XR. I still don't get what SATURN is trying to accomplish. If SATURN is going to do all this they might as well bring back the Manual Transmission in the Vue, and make it an option to the Aura division. I do like driving manuals, and SATURN doesn't have one in there nicer cars, except the Astra which isn't my favorite of the brand.
Years ago I shared your sentiments, but in today's economy with high fuel costs, I think its good that Saturn offers a nice 4-cylinder in their uplevel models. After they came out with the 4-cylinder Aura XR, I was wondering how long it would be before they did the same with the Vue. It makes sense to me. The 2.4L seems to perform well in the XE, and I would expect nothing less in the XR. Honda and Toyota offer 4-cylinders in their uplevel models, so to be competitive Saturn really needs to as well. While its often not necessarily the case, a lot of folks equate V6s with fuel in-efficiency, so with gas prices as high as they are, I think this is a good move.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
darnell89

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Years ago I shared your sentiments, but in today's economy with high fuel costs, I think its good that Saturn offers a nice 4-cylinder in their uplevel models. After they came out with the 4-cylinder Aura XR, I was wondering how long it would be before they did the same with the Vue. It makes sense to me. The 2.4L seems to perform well in the XE, and I would expect nothing less in the XR. Honda and Toyota offer 4-cylinders in their uplevel models, so to be competitive Saturn really needs to as well. While its often not necessarily the case, a lot of folks equate V6s with fuel in-efficiency, so with gas prices as high as they are, I think this is a good move.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie, I guess i'm understanding now, because SATURN is the only company in the GM (American) family to offer a 4-cyl in a SUV. I'm also guessing that is why it was the second SUV to be a BEST-SELLER!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
BagaJellyDonuts

Okay, I'm curious. What's the content of a XR Ecotec Vue?

I'm somewhat disappointed with the color options of a standard Vue. I will not buy a grey or tan interior vehicle when given the choice. Slip the black interior pieces of the Redline into a Ecotec Vue you've got my interest. Don't have to go all the way to suede seats, cloth will do fine.

Secondly, I have noticed that Saturn seems to be the forgotten division when it comes to USB port radios. The radios are already out there and optional on HHRs and the G5 Cobalt twins. And listed as coming atractions on G6 and Malibu. Where's the Vue and Aura on that list? Yes it makes a heck of a difference in the market. Given the choice, I would gladly pay the hundred bucks for the integration and the assumed abilty to control an Ipod via an in dash radio. Besides that, I assume the USB port will also charge the Ipod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I agree with Charlie. There is no reason to believe that people who want fuel efficient vehicles only want a car or SUV with basic features. There is also no reason to believe that everyone who wants a high end vehicle wants or needs a high level of acceleration and power. I like the idea of having choices in how a vehicle is equipped and powered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Would AWD and the 4 cylinder be too much to ask for?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I sure hope not because a 4 cylinder, AWD Vue XR is exactly what I will be looking for when I purchase my next vehicle in a couple of years. Love my 08 XR AWD Vue but don't think I will need the towing power next time around. Maybe a turbo four AWD XR. How many out there would like to see this vehicle as an option. Don't know about you but I think AWD is worth the extra money. I just like having that extra security.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I sure hope not because a 4 cylinder, AWD Vue XR is exactly what I will be looking for when I purchase my next vehicle in a couple of years. Love my 08 XR AWD Vue but don't think I will need the towing power next time around. Maybe a turbo four AWD XR. How many out there would like to see this vehicle as an option. Don't know about you but I think AWD is worth the extra money. I just like having that extra security.
Can you explain to me why you're attracted to the concept of a turbo 4-banger rather than the V6? Near as I can tell, it's going to get similar mileage and maybe slightly worse. Look at the mileage numbers for the Sky. Now imagine you add fatter tires, increase the drag coefficient, and put 900lbs in the trunk. I'm not ragging on you. I'd really like to know what you think makes that a good choice. And that's coming from a BIG fan of small turbocharged engines.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ritz; 09-09-2008 at 10:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
skydrive

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Can you explain to me why you're attracted to the concept of a turbo 4-banger rather than the V6? Near as I can tell, it's going to get similar mileage and maybe slightly worse. Look at the mileage numbers for the Sky. Now imagine you add fatter tires, increase the drag coefficient, and put 900lbs in the trunk. I'm not ragging on you. I'd really like to know what you think makes that a good choice. And that's coming from a BIG fan of small turbocharged engines.
We would obviously have to see such a powertrain in action to know if it would yield significantly better fuel economy numbers. Would the Turbo four weigh less that the 3.6? My biggest issue with the Vue is its mediocre fuel economy and I wish GM could find a way to shed some weight and/or offer a more efficient powertrain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #17
aardvark122
aardvark122 is on a distinguished road

a need for a turbo 4, is you have power when you need it. and fuel economy also. my sky gets 34+ mpg if I am cruising and my foot is not in it. A turbo 4 under boost is just like a v-6, but when not in boost, it is a normal 4 cyl. A turbo also works best under a load. so you will find that you can run taller gears in the car. that is why the normal sky gets worse fuel ratings then the redline. it is complex. but a 4 cyl in a vue with a 6 speed trans would be a great thing. you would get the power and perks of a v-6 with the mpg of a 4 cyl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aardvark122's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aardvark122 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aardvark122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #18
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Honda and Toyota offer an AWD 4cyl small SUV. If GM wants to increase it's sales, they should offer one again as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Honda and Toyota offer an AWD 4cyl small SUV. If GM wants to increase it's sales, they should offer one again as well.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I still like the idea of a turbo 4, 4 cylinder economy and V6 power when you need it. Of course Saturn must expand the 6 speed tranny to the 4 banger
Just a thought, how about a turbo diesel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I would be happy to see a turbo-diesel in the Vue offered. Why not try to break away from the pack and differentiate it somewhat? VW has done this with their Jettas/golfs for many years to set them apart from other compact cars in their segment.

A turbo-4 would be cool as well, but most of all, if nothing above is going to make the cut, for the love of God, give the 4 cyl Vue the 6T45 tranny, as the aura now has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote