SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default KappaII is Dead. The SKY Will Disappear

It's official, the SKY will die at the end of it's current life cycle.

Quote:
It is no secret by now that General Motors has been shaking up its product programs left and right. We first heard of the slashing of the Buick Zeta car, apparent death of the Cadillac Zeta car, and the impending death of a couple GMC product programs. Now GMI is hearing that the Kappa II program, successor to the current lineup of Kappa roadsters, has been pulled from the product plans. The reasons for all of these changes are obvious; uncertain gas prices, an uneasy economy, poor financial situation within the company and an overall product shake up are just a few reasons.

The Kappa line of products makes the "cut" bill rather easily. GMI has been told that when the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky came to the market, GM was losing around $10,000 per unit built. Needless to say, that is not a money-making product line by any stretch of the imagination. It is not entirely surprising that Kappa has been a money pit of a product program. From the ground up Kappa cars are costly; starting with the frame no less. The Kappa architecture is hydra-formed as part of the fabrication process to achieve the dimensions and frame rails needed. Many of the body panels (namely the hood, deck-lid, and fenders) are hydra-formed as well. Hydra-forming is a costly fabrication method, particularly for vehicles that have such low starting prices and low volume to boot. Add on the fact that the Kappa vehicles are largely “hand built” cars (at least by today’s standards); it becomes quite evident why GM will likely never get a return on investment with the Kappa products.
More here.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: KappaII is Dead. The SKY Will Disappear

What a shame.

They were pretty cool cars. However, at least they are cutting something that isn't terribly popular. The image is what those cars were all about, which they did well.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

There goes the only good looking vehicle saturn currently makes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Mad Re: KappaII is Dead. The SKY Will Disappear

Is there any indication how long the current Sky model run will be? I really would like to get one before they go away, but I have to keep my current car for at least 2 more years before I can trade. Surely Saturn will put out something similar--maby a version of the Corsa convertible sold in Germany by Opel? Oh well--maby I can get a fairly recent used one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
oh so there is a Opel that you like...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
Is there any indication how long the current Sky model run will be? I really would like to get one before they go away, but I have to keep my current car for at least 2 more years before I can trade. Surely Saturn will put out something similar--maby a version of the Corsa convertible sold in Germany by Opel? Oh well--maby I can get a fairly recent used one.
I'm not certain, but the model run likely won't be more than 5 years, if that. It might go as long as 2011...maybe not even that far. You might be alright. There was talk of putting these cars onto the new Alpha platform, but I'm not sure what came of that.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan12 View Post
oh so there is a Opel that you like...
It looks alright, but I wouldn't have one. Don't worry, I still don't like the astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Indeed. Kinda funny/sad that the only car Saturn has in its pocket that generates any real excitement is the one they lose tons of money on each unit. You just can't make this stuff up.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Thumbs Down Re: KappaII is Dead. The SKY Will Disappear

According to some of the posts on the GMI website link that Uzzy posted, the current run of Solstices and Sky will run their production life and that will be the end of the line.

Who knows with GM...it could be this year, it could be 2011 before the roadster disappears.

Shame that they were loosing $10K on each car that was built.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

We have a Chili Pepper Red 2007 (yes 2007) Sky, Stick, non turbo for sale. Was $27024 now $21900, better get it while you can.

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
It looks alright, but I wouldn't have one. Don't worry, I still don't like the astra.
had to try...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
reedred
reedred is on a distinguished road

2009 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
It's official, the SKY will die at the end of it's current life cycle.
It's not official until GM says so and while they likely lose money on them, the $10K figure is pretty lofty. Hold out for a real announcement, not speculation from GMI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reedred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reedred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
KimberlySky
KimberlySky is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

I'm glad actually about this... I hate when you buy a new car in a couple of years the body style changes uggggg....

~Kimberly
Onyx
3 Peds
LSD
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Sky Mats
Tint
Short Antenna
Console Saddle
DC Sports Brace Bar
AEM Intake
Dual RL Exhaust
1100 10/5/06
Mine 1/26/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KimberlySky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KimberlySky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KimberlySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #14
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ya I'm still waiting for used Redlines will hit the dealerships...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
KimberlySky
KimberlySky is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

LOL yeah....

I'm going to my dealer this weekend actually I'll see what they ACTUALLY have for RL on the lot and what prices are for ya... know not in the same state but that way an idea of what is really out there.

The last time I was at the dealer they had a couple used 2.4's with a TON of miles and they didn't look so good ie: bad scratches, just really used looking. Odd... and a lot of it could have been cheaply rubbed out and stuff but oh well guess they don't want to spend the little time or money.

~Kimberly
Onyx
3 Peds
LSD
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Sky Mats
Tint
Short Antenna
Console Saddle
DC Sports Brace Bar
AEM Intake
Dual RL Exhaust
1100 10/5/06
Mine 1/26/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KimberlySky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KimberlySky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KimberlySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 AM   #16
love099
love099 is on a distinguished road

don't believe in rumors. let's just wait and see if these news is real.

hate to see the sky go away...

Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come. well, whatever... :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to love099's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help love099 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
love099 is offline   Reply With Quote