SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn to Offer Radios with USB Ports for Music Players on Select 2009 Models

A new story entry has been added:

Saturn to Offer Radios with USB Ports for Music Players on Select 2009 Models

Quote:
The Associated Press says that Saturn will begin offering some of its 2009 models with stereos that include USB ports later in the model year. "The new radios will allow customers to play music from iPods or MP3 players," writes the AP, "while charging many of the devices through a USB port like the ones found on most computers."

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Saturn to Offer Radios with USB Ports for Music Players on Select 2009 Models

FINALLY SATURN HAS DONE A GOOD DEED!!!!!

I love MP3/iPod Control from the radio. I prefer voice command control. See this is another reason why I keep getting pushed away from the Astra. It's not an option. The Astra is supposed to be for the younger crowd but there isn't nothing showing it is. The Astra should have been the first to get the USB feature.

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Saturn to Offer Radios with USB Ports for Music Players on Select 2009 Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell89 View Post
FINALLY SATURN HAS DONE A GOOD DEED!!!!!

I love MP3/iPod Control from the radio. I prefer voice command control. See this is another reason why I keep getting pushed away from the Astra. It's not an option. The Astra is supposed to be for the younger crowd but there isn't nothing showing it is. The Astra should have been the first to get the USB feature.
Yes the Astra is the red headed step child in the stable.. No one ever mentions the good things about the car or the endless positive reviews it gets..

But you are right on this issue it does need iPod support, I don't think its offered in the Opel model either..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Pretty cool

I still want the PAL instead.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
darnell89

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Pretty cool

I still want the PAL instead.
Please explain to me what a PAL is???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
aquatechie
aquatechie is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Please explain to me what a PAL is???
PAL = Personal Audio Link - basically another way to connect & control your iPod with your car stereo.

Seeing that I don't own any iteration of an iPod or other type of portable MP3 player, the real question is whether or not one can stick in any generic usb flash drive loaded with MP3/WMA files and have the stereo play it. That's a feature that's long overdue. Put the coedecs and the digital-to-analog converter inside the head unit and have the user supply the music on some type of flash medium.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aquatechie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aquatechie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aquatechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
08auraj
08auraj is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 AURA XR

Yes this is cool..
PAL is cool, but not everyone owns ipods. This is a feature I would of liked to have. I wonder why they put it in the colbalt/ g5 first? I remember how they were boasting the G5 as the "multimedia car" haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08auraj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08auraj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08auraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
darnell89

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatechie View Post
PAL = Personal Audio Link - basically another way to connect & control your iPod with your car stereo.

Seeing that I don't own any iteration of an iPod or other type of portable MP3 player, the real question is whether or not one can stick in any generic usb flash drive loaded with MP3/WMA files and have the stereo play it. That's a feature that's long overdue. Put the coedecs and the digital-to-analog converter inside the head unit and have the user supply the music on some type of flash medium.
Most new cars can support the flash drive as well as the MP3 or ipod. So the PAL should be able to handle it!

What a minute is the PAL that Hard drive that they used in the GM's CSV??? I think I remember that now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Most new cars can support the flash drive as well as the MP3 or ipod. So the PAL should be able to handle it!

What a minute is the PAL that Hard drive that they used in the GM's CSV??? I think I remember that now.
No not really. PAL is just basically a connector for the iPod to the car, with no visible cords, it just shills inside the glove box.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
darnell89

1996 SL2

OIC. I Found this on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDqktd_HNo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I've had an aftermarket head unit that does this for years. Two, actually: My old VR3 one, which was cheap and eventually cooked itself, and my new Sony one which is much better.

Playing straight from a flash drive is a great feature. I don't have to burn CD's or worry about my "real" ones getting messed up, cooked in the sun, or stolen. No skipping, no seeking, no moving parts, very little to go wrong, and I can even use the USB port to charge my phone or MP3 player.

Great idea to stick this in an OEM head unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
darnell89

1996 SL2

General Motor is really slow when it comes to Technology. The old technology is being put in the new GM's. For Example: Bluetooth & Input USB & AUX Jack.
These technologies have been done back in 2005 (Starting) of other vehicles. General Motors should have been had BT for Onstar in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
aquatechie
aquatechie is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
General Motor is really slow when it comes to Technology.
Agreed. The USB port should have been standard equipment by now, or at the very least, a mid-level upgrade option for *ALL* GM models, not just a select few as GM currently intends to implement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aquatechie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aquatechie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aquatechie is offline   Reply With Quote