SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Roger Smith Called One of the Seven Most Notable Presidents Who Helped Shape GM

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Roger Smith Called One of the Seven Most Notable Presidents Who Helped Shape GM

Quote:
The man with the vision behind the creation of General Motors' Saturn subsidiary, Roger Smith, was called one of the seven most notable executives to have run the corporation during GM's storied 100 year history. GM "has been led by men who were often larger than life themselves," wrote Bryce G. Hoffman in an article published this morning in the Detroit News.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Roger Smith Called One of the Seven Most Notable Presidents Who Helped Shape GM

Although, Saturn aside, I'm not really sure what he shaped it into...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Roger Smith Called One of the Seven Most Notable Presidents Who Helped Shape GM

Roger Smith was notable, but my favorite GM exec was John DeLorean.

John DeLorean's work at Pontiac and Chevrolet was very significant. He kept GM afloat during the rough 70's. It was unfortunate he got involved with the drug scheme trying to save his own car company.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
Although, Saturn aside, I'm not really sure what he shaped it into...
Smith basically invented the plant shutdown.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Smith basically invented the plant shutdown.
And the "cookie-cutter" car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I think I'm going to vomit.

If ever there was someone to blame for GM's current mess it's Roger Smith.

First,we'll make all our GM cars look alike.

Then start a stand alone subsidiary to make a car that shares nothing with our other brands [ not even Cadillac will have that luxury ], never makes a dime, drains development funds from all our other divisions, but BY GOD, I get to live out my Walter Mitty fantasy of a bloodless bean counter creating his own car company. With someone else's money.

Yeah we'll show those Japanese.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
I think I'm going to vomit.

If ever there was someone to blame for GM's current mess it's Roger Smith.

First,we'll make all our GM cars look alike.

Then start a stand alone subsidiary to make a car that shares nothing with our other brands [ not even Cadillac will have that luxury ], never makes a dime, drains development funds from all our other divisions, but BY GOD, I get to live out my Walter Mitty fantasy of a bloodless bean counter creating his own car company. With someone else's money.

Yeah we'll show those Japanese.
Personally I liked the styling of most the 70's and 80's GM cars. It did not disturb me that they looked alike. Their styling obviously agreed with many because the sales were quite high. I remember Lincoln used to poke fun at GM because of the similar styling.

Saturn was a noble effort. GM never seemed concerned that it did not make money. Unfortunately in today's economic times everyone need to carry it's own weight or be scrapped. I don't know what GM will eventually do with Saturn. Anything is possible.

I personally would like a GM Megastore concept where one could shop all GM cars under one roof. Eliminate the retail divisions. Have every dealer capable of selling any GM car.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
And the "cookie-cutter" car
GM had cookie cutter cars long before then.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote