SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Scout238
Scout238 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1996 SL1
Default Cruise control, A/C not working

So weird problem with the car.... started it and the a/c is not working. The cruise is not working either and the wrench light just came on. The car is driving alright, but neither of the systems work. Overall it runs pretty well except for occasional issues starting. I cleaned the IAC and it helped, but I think it's time for a tune up. Any idea on why the cruise and A/C would just stop working? It has been on several restart cycles now?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scout238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scout238 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Cruise control, A/C not working

Have you checked all the fuses? Specifically, have you checked to see if there's a fuse that controls both systems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Yes I checked the fuses and I did not find any blown. Which specific fuse controls both?

Also today my fiance took the car to work and it would not start at the end of the day. I went there... changed the plugs real quick (Been a long time) scanned for codes (nothing), checked spark at coil packs (good spark), and it was cranking good. It would not start though... at all. I could not hear the fuel pump cycling (but it wasn't all that quiet out there). I also don't know how old the fuel filter is. I'm thinking maybe an issue with the fuel system, but not sure how to check besides a pressure gauge. (which I didn't have)

Anyone have any ideas? FWIW, it had been having issues starting every once in a while. Once started and warmed up it was fine though. I have cleaned the IAC.

The A/C, blower fan, and cruise had not been working up until this point either. They just stopped working.

Thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Any now I went to her work and it started up.... I drove 25 freeway miles home.... and then I turned it off. Try to start it again to get it in the garage and it won't start again. The whole way home no cruise, A/C, or blower motor. Also service wrench was lit up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

BTW this is the 96 SL1 with 150K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

So I did some electrical checking and this is what I found:

I have no power at the cruise, ignition3, and recirc fuses. The defroster also does not work.

I DO have power from the orange wire from the ignition switch that is for the "run" position.

I didn't see anything between the two points when looking at a schematic...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Where are you measuring the IGN-3 voltage? I am looking at a 98 drawing which is different but the IGN-3 fuse is in the UHJB and the high side is right off of the battery, do you have 12v there on the high side of the fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Well I got that issue worked out... it was loose wires in the back of the I/P fuse panel. Now I think my fuel pump is going out.... Thanks for the replies

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The I/P panel could also be the fuel pump problem. The relay lives there also. The connectors to the relay prongs can get loose. To fix you get to remove the panel from the car and take the front off then you can increase the tension on the connector sleeve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote