SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Ackpacket
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Ion stuck ignition cylinder solution

I realize that a lot of people here have had their key get stuck in the ignition, and no one has offered up much of a reasonable solution yet.

Although my first preference would be to find the instructions, buy the part myself and perform the work myself, I could not find those instructions. Perhaps I was just too lazy in my search (after all it isn't my car).

For those of you who have to take your car somewhere, my suggestion is a locksmith. They've proved to have the cheapest prices, they work at odd hours sometimes for a little extra, and the best part is they come to you so if you're key is stuck in the off position there is no need for a tow truck.

The locksmith charged a little less than the dealer for the part, and it only took him half an hour to complete the job. If this had been an absolute worse case scenario, and everything had gone wrong, the total would have been 290. Since it was in far better shape than that, the cost was considerably less. Sorry if the details are a little sketchy, like I said it wasn't my car. Exact data available if anyone requests it (actual total cost, name and number of locksmith).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2005 Ion stuck ignition cylinder solution

There ia little panel about the size of a quarter under the steering wheel that pops out and allows you to push some small part that releases the key. No need for a locksmith, really. But helpful.

Never would have thought when I was fighting the stupid thing......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
There ia little panel about the size of a quarter under the steering wheel that pops out and allows you to push some small part that releases the key. No need for a locksmith, really. But helpful.

Never would have thought when I was fighting the stupid thing......
The trap door trick only works if your Ion is equipped with an automatic transmission. (Not sure about the CVTs)

4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
snakes
snakes will become famous soon enoughsnakes will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default 2005 Ion stuck ignition Its also happended to me

Well I just had this repaired not to long ago. I also have an 2005 Ion. When I would put the car in park and turn the car off the key would get stuck in the ignition and I would have to wait a minute until I heard a click and then the key would release. Well I had the Saturn Tech look at it and first they said it was the I had a bad Cylinoid.(exactly $400 to fix) That was replaced and then the next day it happened again. Fiest they tought maybe the brand new keys they just cut me were not shaved down enough. they gave me new keys however it still kept happening. The last option was the shifter. That was replaced also at exactly $400. dollars at the Saturn dealer and (knock on wood) after 3 mos I havent had any more problems. So it did turn out to be the shifter. I am just glad it was fixed. it was so annoying to have to wait for the key to release. I beleive that I also did have a bad cylinoid because I would get a click, click, click(3 times) from the steering column when I would turn the car off. I still got screwed at the end because I paid for the extended API premium warranty when I bought the car in new in 2005. well to make a long story short as you all probably know that API went bankrupt and the dealership itself was honoring my warranty since I bought it from them Well Just so happended that when i took the car into service for the key problem they were no longer honoring the warranty,. Its a shame because the CSR , Service reps, and mechanics are all really nice people at that dealership. However if i have to pay for my repairs now I am not going to drive an hour to DCH Saturn masapequa,Ny out of my way for service when I can just go to the Saturn of Smithown(sep franchise) which is 5 minutes from my house. Anyway dont mean to vent. But do check to make sure your key is not worn and then have them look at the shifter. hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
blk06RXC
blk06RXC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I recently talked to someone who was having the same problem at the dealership (getting their car fixed). Someone else who was talking among us suggested maby trying to turn the steering wheel when the key gets stuck. Also I have found if I have a cup in my cup holder it keeps me from putting the car into park fully which makes the ignition hold onto the key. Following that thought maby if you make sure the car is fully in the park position, the key might come out easier. I have an auto tranny btw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blk06RXC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blk06RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
LuvscoutII
LuvscoutII is on a distinguished road

Has anyone had the key get stuck in the on position and not being able to turn the car off? It's happened to me for the second time now and the first time we replaced the lock cylinder. If it were the shifter wouldn't I at least be able to turn the car off to the acc but just not be able to take the key out? Any ideas? Thanks.

Jen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LuvscoutII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LuvscoutII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LuvscoutII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
blk06RXC

2008 Astra XR

Well, unfortunately I do not have any helpful ideas for when the car is stuck turned on, other than possibly the above mentioned button for the auto tranny cars.

I wonder if there is a possibility of using an ignition switch from a different type of car? I have no idea how this would work, but possibly you could find one that will fit, and work better... Possibly try a different GM model? Just a thought.

Also a thought, maby take your old one to a locksmith or something and see if they can figure out what might have gone wrong and replace the faulty part/pieces with better pieces?

I have a slight trouble getting the key out of the ignition, but only when it is in the off position.

I also compared my daily use key with the spare key I have, and I noticed some subtle differences between the two. My family sometimes moves my car with the spare key, and they have no problems with it.

Sorry you are having trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

worn keys and stock ignition switches/key receptacles are known to cause troubles for most eventually, but has anyone had this recur after replacement (for those that replaced it after they fixed the problems with the components).

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
blk06RXC

2008 Astra XR

I was under the impression that the person who originally posted the thread is on the second one. I wonder if it is a replacement from another Ion, a new part from GM when the Ions were still being manufactured, or Post Ion new GM part?

It does seem that most people who get the factory installed ignition switch replaced with an OEM switch do not have recurring problems. I wonder if they thought we will pinch a few pennies while we are making them, but sell better replacement parts...?

Not a clue...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
jam12
jam12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk06RXC View Post
I was under the impression that the person who originally posted the thread is on the second one. I wonder if it is a replacement from another Ion, a new part from GM when the Ions were still being manufactured, or Post Ion new GM part?

It does seem that most people who get the factory installed ignition switch replaced with an OEM switch do not have recurring problems. I wonder if they thought we will pinch a few pennies while we are making them, but sell better replacement parts...?

Not a clue...
I have replaced lock cyl twice. There is some sort of wire or switch that comes off the ignition column that when you turn the key activates something but when I go to turn my key off it stops then sometimes you here a chime then wait a few seconds or minute then it shuts off it seems there is a connection with the pass lock code maybe but don't know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jam12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jam12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
blk06RXC

2008 Astra XR

I don't know exactly, but I would assume there would be the power wire going into the switch, then two wires leaving the switch. One of those wires would go to the acessories power, and the other would go to all power. I might be thinking too simplistic though as I have not seen any ignition switches just by themselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Heres the problem. If your key is stuck in the run position and you cant turn the car off...you need a new lock cylinder. The small tumbler bar has come loose on the cylinder causing it to freeze in the housing. A small drip of super glue needs to be added to the corners of the tumbler bar on the new cylinder to keep it from coming loose again. If I had pictures it would be easier to understand.

Now if your key gets stuck in the acc position sometimes, and you have to wait a sec or two before it releases. 99% of the time it is the BTSI solinoid on the shifter assembly. The switch sticks sometimes. It needs to be replaced This is not the same solinoid at the cylinder that you access through the little door.

There is no way any solinoid related to the ignition cylinder or shifter cost $400. sorry Snakes but your dealer way overcharged you. Part is about $60 + 1hour labour. The shifter probably wasnt defective either. New shifters come with a new BTSI solinoid as well. thats why it was fixed when they did the shifter. Just my 2 cents on the subject

Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ

94 SW2-my daily, custom intake and ported throttle body
2007 Ion 3 2.4L ---custom intake, HP tune, stock Redline coil springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
ih8trfc
ih8trfc is on a distinguished road

Where can I find instructions on replacing the lock cylinder? Mom's stuck in the "on" position a few days ago, they bought a new one and want me to replace it. I have read that people say it is "easy", but I have not found any step-by-steps yet.
Is it that easy that you don't need them?
Thanks, Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ih8trfc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ih8trfc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ih8trfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8trfc View Post
Where can I find instructions on replacing the lock cylinder?
look no further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8trfc View Post
I have read that people say it is "easy", but I have not found any step-by-steps yet. Is it that easy that you don't need them?
Thanks, Dave
it's relatively straight forward, but a play-by-play keeps you from missing important steps.

for the lock cylinder and ignition switch, follow 1, 2, and 4

to just replace the key cylinder from the ignition switch, do all except 4

1.First, you disconnect the negative battery cable.

2.Then you take off the plastic steering column covers (the top one pulls off and the bottom one is held on by 4 or so screws).

3.turn the key to the run position

4.remove the electrical connector, then the mounting screws

5.there are two holes in the top of the lock cylinder, press the 1st (toward the key hole end) detent, then the second one, then the first one again.

Installation is reverse the removal.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

Last edited by 2006 ion2; 10-01-2008 at 07:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if the ignition switch also needs replacing, you need to relearn passlock.

1. turn the key to on
2. attempt to start the car
3. watch the security light flash for 10 minutes
4. turn the key to off for five seconds
5. repeat two more times
6. turn the key from off to start to off
7. and bingo was his name-o, the car should now start

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
john11v35
john11v35 is on a distinguished road

The steps below worked just fine with one exception....You will need your vehicle's "cylinder code" because you will need to put the pins 1-5 in the correct order in the cylinder. It is not possible to take your old cylinder apart to figure out the code, the pins 1-5 are too similar in appearence.

I had to get my code from the dealership (free), but they made me bring my insurance card with my name and VIN on it as well as a copy of my driver's license as proof that I owned the vehicle.

Also, when assembling the cylinder, make sure to press the pins 1-5 down into the cylinder with a small flat screwdriver. They won't fall into position without some encouragement from the screwdriver and if they don't fall in, you cannot place the springs on top of the pins.

One last tip - remove the windshield wiper assembly to make it easier to reach the small holes to release the cylinder with. It uses a TORX bit to get the assembly off. I used a small allen wrench inserted in the holes to release the cylinder instead of an awl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
look no further.

it's relatively straight forward, but a play-by-play keeps you from missing important steps.

for the lock cylinder and ignition switch, follow 1, 2, and 4

to just replace the key cylinder from the ignition switch, do all except 4

1.First, you disconnect the negative battery cable.

2.Then you take off the plastic steering column covers (the top one pulls off and the bottom one is held on by 4 or so screws).

3.turn the key to the run position

4.remove the electrical connector, then the mounting screws

5.there are two holes in the top of the lock cylinder, press the 1st (toward the key hole end) detent, then the second one, then the first one again.

Installation is reverse the removal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john11v35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john11v35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john11v35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by john11v35 View Post

The steps below worked just fine with one exception....You will need your vehicle's "cylinder code" because you will need to put the pins 1-5 in the correct order in the cylinder. It is not possible to take your old cylinder apart to figure out the code, the pins 1-5 are too similar in appearence.
Actually the pins as you call them (wafers or tumblers) are all numbered. It very small writing and you need to have them clean but they are (should be) numbered.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote