SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2000, 07:54 PM   #1
auditude
auditude is on a distinguished road

Default clutch install tech notes wanted

If anyone has any tech notes for replacing the clutch in a Saturn, please email me a copy.

I'm in the middle of the install right now, and I'm going by the Chilton manual. It describes how to do it by taking the tranny out, which some say does not need to be done.

If there are any resources online, I'd love to have links to them as well.

Thanks,

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auditude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auditude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2000, 01:18 AM   #2
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

Did you mean to say taking the ENGINE out? There is no way to replace a clutch without removing the tranny, since the clutch is BETWEEN the engine and tranny!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2000, 10:37 AM   #3
auditude

No, I meant, "It describes how to do it by taking the TRANNY out, which some say does not need to be done."

More than a few people have changed their clutches by moving the tranny to the side, without dropping completely out of the car.

I was looking for any notes on doing this, which I got.

I'm doing the clutch right now, so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for responding,

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auditude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2000, 12:18 PM   #4
Saturnmeister

Ahh..I gotcha. Sounds like a good savings of difficult labor. Good luck with your project - let us know how you make out. Hope you're putting in a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...::grins::

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2000, 11:43 AM   #5
auditude

Yes, of course it's a Dual Fricton. <g>

I got the clutch put in last weekend. Everthing went pretty smoothly, I broke two sockets putting things back together. My fault, in a way. Craftsman and SK Tool, too.

I had to buy a 30mm socket for the axle nut, and a three jaw puller to get the driver side axle out of the hub to remove it.

I left the flywheel in the car, and hand sanded it with some 100 grit to break up the surface. It didn't have any burn marks or ugliness.

I replaced the throwout bearing with a stock one, and put Redline MTL in the tranny as well.

I did not have to completely remove the tranny from the car, "just" unbolt it and move it over. I also just unbolted the three of the cradle bolts, leaving the passenger side front one, and let it hang down a little.

At first I thought I let some air into the clutch hydraulic system, by letting the slave extend fully when I removed it. I thought this because the clutch pedal was so soft when I got it all back together.

So I tried to bleed the clutch the next day, but it wouldn't get firmer. Finally I hopped in it, started it up, and tried to put it in gear with the clutch in. If it needed to be bled, it would have grinded, but it didn't.

The clutch pedal effort was just extremely low, due to the new clutch. It has firmed up a little bit since then. I've got about 130 miles on it or so. I'm taking it easy until at least 500 miles.

My old clutch has 132k miles on it. The friction material was worn a decent amount down, but it wasn't slipping. I replaced it because of the mileage. At first I thought I had quite a bit of material left on the disc, but then I realized I was comparing it to the rivet heads that were coming in one direction. The other rivet heads were much closer to the friction surface.

The springs in the disc were a bit loose, one was quite loose, and exhibited evidence that it was spinning inside it's little holder.

The throwout bearing didn't make noise in the car, but it was noticeably more "bearing-y" sounding compared to the new replacement when I compared the two. Kind "dry" as I've heard it described.

The pressure plate's fingers were worn down flat from contact with the throwout bearing, and eventually the tips would have broken off. They were rather thin at the thinnest point. Perhaps the wear was caused by the throwout bearing not being perfectly smooth, causing the contact surface to rub instead of spin. Granted, I did have a habit of sitting in gear with the clutch in at stoplights.

Some of the pressure plate fingers did not return all the way to their at rest position.

The pressure plates contact surface had some black marks, like it got pretty hot or something.

All in all, I'm surprised the clutch was a smooth and trouble free as it was, considering the wear it showed.

The new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch was interesting. The pressure plate seemed to be the same as stock, with no special centrifugal weights like I'd seen on other Centerforce units. Both the clutch disc and pressure plate were stamped "LUK", which is another clutch supplier. They may only use the hard parts from that vendor. I think the stock clutch I took out was also a LUK clutch.

The Dual Friction clutch disc has two different friction materials, as you would think, one on each side. On the flywheel side, I think, the materials is multiple pads, instead of a complete "ring" of material.

I got some tech notes from Ryan, whose email address is has "Jester" in it. He's planning on putting the notes on his website, so I'll refrain from posting them to this site. Should he decide to do so, he can.

I think that's about it. I'm glad I didn't pay someone else to do the work. I saved lots of money doing it myself. However, I was quite sore from the hips up from doing the work. I had trouble sleeping after the second night, because my body was tensing up. The next day, my hands were swollen and red from all the wrenching. I'm all better now.

Later,

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2000, 05:53 PM   #6
Saturnmeister

Glad you got 'er done! Now NO MORE SITTING AT LIGHTS WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED AND THE CAR IN GEAR ::waves finger::...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread