SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn is on a distinguished road

Default misfire?

my old lady calls me and tells em the check engine light came on after filling up at the gas station on our 04 redline.
she brings it home 2 me i pull all 10 codes and their all cylinder misfire codes,1thru 6,wtf?
cleared them and im gonna attempt to drive it in 2 work..any thoughts on what would cause this?
im hoping just bad gas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: misfire?

Make sure that the gas cap is installed and that it is tight. A loose gas cap will throw a check engine light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Make sure that the gas cap is installed and that it is tight. A loose gas cap will throw a check engine light.
That wouldn't cause all cylinders to misfire. The engine would continue to run fine and throw some evap related code. Bad gas would be the low hanging fruit in this case. The only other thing that would cause all the cylinders to randomly have issues on that engine would be a dodgy cam or crank sensor, but those usually work or don't work....not usually a sometimes problem.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
nitroussaturn

it ran great for me today..codes never came back,lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
it ran great for me today..codes never came back,lol
Cool. Sounds like you might have just gotten some contaminated/bad gas then.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
nitroussaturn

lol i wish,codes came back truck is running like crap,wtf?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
Brock4u
Brock4u is on a distinguished road

Thats funny you say that, i had the same thing happen to me the early this week. I have a 02 vue (4cyl 5 speed) Put gas in brought it home the next time i try to start it runs like crap. I took it to a mechanic yesterday they ran the codes said it was a generic code saying cylinder misfire but cannot get anymore information unless i take it to a saturn dealership. I took the plugs out yesterday checked them out and put them back in, no difference. I just replaced the plugs with Bosch plugs about 2 months ago too! Anyone else have any ideas! Can a plug just blow and you wont be able to tell by looking at it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brock4u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brock4u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brock4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock4u View Post
Thats funny you say that, i had the same thing happen to me the early this week. I have a 02 vue (4cyl 5 speed) Put gas in brought it home the next time i try to start it runs like crap. I took it to a mechanic yesterday they ran the codes said it was a generic code saying cylinder misfire but cannot get anymore information unless i take it to a saturn dealership. I took the plugs out yesterday checked them out and put them back in, no difference. I just replaced the plugs with Bosch plugs about 2 months ago too! Anyone else have any ideas! Can a plug just blow and you wont be able to tell by looking at it?
If a plug is not firing it will quickly get fouled and you'll see the difference pretty easily between that plug and the others.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
nitroussaturn

any ideas for me?,,plugs are 3500k old.and the truck ran fine up to 2 - 3 days ago...just drove it 2600 mile roundtrip to indiana right before this started happening...any thoughts?suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Which V6 engine? What codes? Generalizing on all six cylinders misfiring without posting codes just leads to speculation on anyone's part like guessing on bad gas. One of the keys to support is supplying accurate information; year, model, engine, auto/manual transmission, recent maintenance, modifications, DTC codes, etc.. Car info entered in your personal profile eliminates repeating this and leaves you to supply recent issues to describe an overall picture of your problem.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
nitroussaturn

2004 saturn vue redline 99k honda 3.5,14 codes 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 cylinder missfire.also multiple cylinder misfire code

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

There are 4 components to a cylinder firing: fuel, air, spark, and timing. Those are pretty generic codes. Check the fuel pressure at the rail. Then check your air filter, you've already checked the plugs. Timing is controlled by the ECU and cam/crank sensors (which usually either works or not...intermittent failure is unusual). Start with the basics and gradually work your way down to the specifics. Have you changed the timing belt yet? It's due (as is a valve lash check/adjustment).

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
nitroussaturn

what should base fuel pressure be at idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I wonder if there's a clogged cat and not anything with sensors. Although it can be fuel related like a plugged filter strangling fuel flow, a simple pressure test and flow check should eliminate fuel/pressure problems. Multiple cylinder misfires not associated to any one cylinder bank points to just a few sensors that all six cylinders are affected by; map, iat, maf, cps, ECM, main intake manifold leak.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
Brock4u
Brock4u is on a distinguished road

Mine is doing something similar but it runs only on two cylinders, i had a misfire code so i reaplced the plugs, that didnt work so i am going to be replacing the coils and the ignition module tonight. Try that. Those are known to go bad on these vehicles, there was a recall on the modules.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brock4u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brock4u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brock4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
nitroussaturn

i also changed the plugs yesterday..and it still does it.
guess i have to pay the stealership to diagnose it..
i cant afford to just start changing parts untill i know thats what will fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
qwikz28
qwikz28 is on a distinguished road

sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem. What fixed it for you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwikz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
ysmyle
ysmyle is on a distinguished road

fault code

Have a Saturn vue 3.0 v6 2006... its doing multiple misfiring. any suggest on to fix this problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ysmyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ysmyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ysmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #19
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysmyle View Post
fault code

Have a Saturn vue 3.0 v6 2006... its doing multiple misfiring. any suggest on to fix this problem
If you have a 2006 Vue with V6 - the engine should be 3.5L.

Service manual suggests checking/adjusting valve lash at 100,000 miles.

A few members solved multiple cylinder misfire by adjusting exhaust valve lash.

Others used fuel treatment and claimed success.

It appears you have a way to check/clear codes? I'd do a clear and then check when misfire happens ... first start in AM, after engine warms, etc. You should also realize about 10 other engine parameters are stored in freeze frame when the code is set. Try to retrieve those numbers before clearing the codes.

My daughters 07 Vue with 3.5 and 112,000 miles was having multiple misfires on first start of day. I checked the usual suspects ... fuel pressure, battery, EGR valve, vacuum, PCV, EVAP, plugs, changed timing belt.

The problem persisted ... I've not adjusted valves but she's not had a misfire since she started turning key to ON/RUN and leaving until IPC lights go out - and then cranking engine.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock4u View Post
You're going to a cheap mechanic. You can purchase software to get all that same information. The shop just has to invest in their business. Its pretty hard to argue against buying this for GM products since there are so many; unless shop says "BMW" on the side.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote