SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
VueinNC
VueinNC is on a distinguished road

Default "Change oil soon" light

My daughter called me last week and said her "change oil soon" light on her 03 Vue was on. It goes off about 10 seconds after you start the engine. I had the oil changed and the light is still comes on for a brief moment. Is there some way to reset it so it will stay off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VueinNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VueinNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VueinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: "Change oil soon" light

Turn the KEY(not the car) to the on position (do not start the car). press the accelerator 3 times and hold it on the 3rd for like 10 seconds. Turn the car off and then it should have reset.

I think that's how you do it. In any case, it's in the book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

The reset procedure is in the manual. Turn the key to the on position (but don't start it). Within 5 seconds press the gas all the way down and back up 3 times. The idiot light should flash for about 20 seconds or so and then will go out. Turn the key to off and start to verify that the light has been reset.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Wait! It's an '03! You have to go under the hood. Find the removable black rectangular cover for the relay box from the driver's side. Look closely and find the red rectangular push-button with 'OIL' on it. With the key in 'RUN' position (engine running or not), hold down the button for ten seconds. Replace the cover, turn the key off and start the car. The light should flash and go out. It will come back on very briefly every time the car is started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

why didnt the oil change place reset it?? i would think it is part of there job

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

but i bet they had time to put on the fake 3000 mile sticker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
guitar_stitch
guitar_stitch will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Most oil change places don't know about that feature.

It's one reason why I quit paying some other monkey to change my oil.

Oh good. My Dog found the Chainsaw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guitar_stitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guitar_stitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guitar_stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it seems that an oil change place should have enough pride in there job and do it right. sorry but this is one of my pet peeves. olm have been on gm cars in numbers since the late 90s. wake up. they dont reset it and you need to change oil in 3k miles. same with places that screw up tire pressure monitors. learn your job. many many are good but others give the rest a bad name

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

If some of the most experienced people on this forum didn't know how to do it on the early VUE, why should anyone expect a grease monkey to know? Take responsibility for your own vehicle when it comes to quirky little details that are out of the ordinary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

because its his job to know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
it seems that an oil change place should have enough pride in there job and do it right. sorry but this is one of my pet peeves.

And people that don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their' is one of MY pet peeves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Wait! It's an '03! You have to go under the hood. Find the removable black rectangular cover for the relay box from the driver's side. Look closely and find the red rectangular push-button with 'OIL' on it. With the key in 'RUN' position (engine running or not), hold down the button for ten seconds. Replace the cover, turn the key off and start the car. The light should flash and go out. It will come back on very briefly every time the car is started.
Oops, I stand corrected. I didn't notice it was an '03.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

well how do you expect them to know how to do it on every car? I worked at a toyota dealership but other cars came in as well. It was hard enought to learn the 50 different ways to reset the toyota oil change light let alone the other 100,000 other manufacturer/models ways

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Another reason to maintain a vehicle yourself, within your ability to do so & a place to do the work. No guy in a fast lube is going to care as much about my car as I do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Funny to see this question again. Didnt we have a 50+ post thread about this at one time?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rayzur9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rayzur9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Why would they care to reset your OLM? They are in business to take your money which means they will tell you to come in every 3000 miles (light or no light) while the OLM might tell you to change in up to 9,000 or so miles. In that case they'd lose money, so they don't want you to pay attention to the light. It'd be bad business for them.

If I were taking mine to an oil change shop, I'd reset it myself as soon as I got it home just to be sure it was done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote