SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2
Default Extra Capacity with FL-400S Oil Filter

Just curious if anyone knew how much extra capacity (if any) the FL-400S provides over the PF-53?

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'00 Saturn SL1 5 Speed (wife's car)
'95 Saturn SW2 (automatic for now)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinVarnes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinVarnes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Extra Capacity with FL-400S Oil Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
Just curious if anyone knew how much extra capacity (if any) the FL-400S provides over the PF-53?
You don't have to add extra oil, if that's what you're asking. I use a bigger filter, checked my oil, and it was right at the full line. I drove for 15 minutes, checked again, still at the full line.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Buy 5 qt of oil instead of 4 qt. Fill 'til the full line.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

Quote:
You don't have to add extra oil, if that's what you're asking. I use a bigger filter, checked my oil, and it was right at the full line. I drove for 15 minutes, checked again, still at the full line.
I have to assume that it will hold more. Much like using a PF35 instead of a PF25 on a SBC as it holds another 1/2 quart. Looks like I'll just do the trial and error method to find out. Thank you for the replies.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KevinVarnes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I have to assume that it will hold more. Much like using a PF35 instead of a PF25 on a SBC as it holds another 1/2 quart. Looks like I'll just do the trial and error method to find out. Thank you for the replies.
That's what I was going for, trial and error, but all I could gather was it took no oil. Really, it's only an inch longer (as I recall) and part of that is filter media, I don't know if it would be enough extra to take extra oil.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
KevinVarnes

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

I gotcha. Well if I could pry my wife from the car so I could do an oil change I might find out. I'll post my findings. I didn't have a PF53 handy to compare to the FL-400S so I wasn't sure what the physical difference was.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
KevinVarnes

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

Well I finally got a chance to do an oil change. I'll make the call at 4-3/8qts. So if you go by Wolfman's spec of 4-1/4qts with a filter on the change this would give you an extra 1/8qt. Not a lot more than stock, but some. Given that the FL-400S was about $0.70 cheaper than the PF53 at my local Advance it's not a bad deal, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find a FL-400S if you didn't have one handy.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
bprimerano
bprimerano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Looking at the WIX equivalent of these two filters (easiest place to get data) I make the difference to be 17 cubic inches or 0.3 quarts as seen from the external dimensions. Of course all that space is not available for oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bprimerano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bprimerano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bprimerano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
KevinVarnes

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

Just thought I would add an update to this. Just did my first oil change with the FL-400S. It is much easier to get a band style wrench over the longer filter than the PF-53. I don't remove the passenger side wheel to get to the filter I do everything from the bottom. If you do remove the passenger side tire it probably won't make much difference to you. I think it is definitely worth it to use the FL-400S over the PF-53 if you have the choice.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

I've been thinking about using the larger filter, and I believe that because the filter mounts horizontally and maybe 1/2 or more of any extra capacity would run back into the pan when the engine is off, maybe we should be thinking about overfilling by whatever that amount is(let's see 1/2 of 1/4-1/3 =1/8-1/6 quart)? Once the engine is running, the filter will be full and the level will be correct. Unless there's a check valve in the filter adapter, in which case I'm just confusing the issue with the math.

01 SW2-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
00 SL1-spare
98 SC1-parts
+ 25 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
01SL1SATURN
01SL1SATURN is on a distinguished road

2001 SL

There is always ~ 1/2 qt of old oil left in the engine during an oil change. You never get it all out.

2001 Saturn SL 5 speed -- 131,000 miles
Slush boxes..... taking the fun out of driving since 1950!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SL1SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SL1SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

I use fl 400s alot and change it w/o going underneath the car Do it from pass wheel well with wheel all teh way left locked. Just a wee bit more and cheaper to buy the gallon oil with lil left for anything....

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Extra Capacity with FL-400S Oil Filter

I have used the larger (Taurus SHO) filters for a couple of years and typically change them by turning the wheels all the way to the left just as the previous poster said. Then I reach in through the access panel hole (someone didn't bother to give me the panel with the car in the first place).

The car is always up on jack stands when I do this so I can get the drain pan underneath easier, but other than that I don't go to any special trouble. Usually I can muscle it off without a strap wrench, but I have been accused of being a gorilla upon a few occasions.

I always buy the 5 quart jugs of oil. Anything left over at the end of 3000 miles goes into the next oil change or into the pump oiler I keep on my workbench. Nothing goes to waste. Synthetic oil always. Just my preference.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: Extra Capacity with FL-400S Oil Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprimerano View Post
Looking at the WIX equivalent of these two filters (easiest place to get data) I make the difference to be 17 cubic inches or 0.3 quarts as seen from the external dimensions. Of course all that space is not available for oil.
i am a firm believer in WIX filters. i have 3 cars and all three and a previous buick use wix filters. they are considered to be one of the best filters on the market. stay away from fram. before fram was sold, several years ago, the filter construction quality was great bt not anymore. too many horror stories.
i would stick with ac or wix.

i buy the filters from rockauto.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
KevinVarnes

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

One more minor update on this. You cannot remove the alternator from the car with the taller 400S filter on. It looks like it might be tight with the PF-53. Not a big deal overall, but just a minor annoyance.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W

REWARD EXCELLENCE!