SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Driving a Sporty Saturn Through a Midlife Crisis

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Driving a Sporty Saturn Through a Midlife Crisis

Quote:
George Quarles, a retired veteran, submitted his story about his decision to purchase a Saturn Sky roadster to the San Fransisco Chronicle's "My Ride" section. "The Sky is a dream for anyone who wants the fun and joy of a classy looking two-seater, go-fast machine that gets pretty good gas mileage," he wrote.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Re: Driving a Sporty Saturn Through a Midlife Crisis

I love the Sky. Out of all the roadsters available like the Z3, Solstice, etc the Sky really stands out. I want one! 260 hp, that's just on a stock turbo Very nice for stock a production car, regardless.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic torpedo View Post
I love the Sky. Out of all the roadsters available like the Z3, Solstice, etc the Sky really stands out. I want one! 260 hp, that's just on a stock turbo Very nice for stock a production car, regardless.
Ya, I'm planning on getting a 2 seater convertible, the SKY Redline is at the top of the list. The mods section on here for the SKY isn't very active, I wonder what the potential of the car is...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
A new feeditems entry has been added:

Driving a Sporty Saturn Through a Midlife Crisis
I'm not sure if my sister is in a midlife crisis, but she was determined to buy a SKY over a year before they were released. Saturn was mailing her SKY postcards, and calendars. That sealed the deal.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I'm not sure if my sister is in a midlife crisis, but she was determined to buy a SKY over a year before they were released. Saturn was mailing her SKY postcards, and calendars. That sealed the deal.
Ya, I wanted one ever since I first saw one, about a year before they started production. I pretty much knew I would end out with one, especially once I started seeing a few on the road, and how slick they looked while moving. Then the Redline came out, I wanted THAT one. I wish it was supercharged, though, but oh well. When my girlfriend got her convertible and we started rolling around with the top off, I knew I needed a convertible. Although a removable hard top would have been a cool option.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
sdambros1
sdambros1 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2007 SKY

I have owned two Saturn Sky's over the past year. I bought a graphite base version and loved it so much I UPG to Black/Onyx Red Line. I turned 50 years of age and it was my birthday present to myself. Since them my life is now complete and I look forward to driving as much as possible in it. I have owned many cars in my life time however the SKY Red Line is by far the most fun, the most entertaining and what a ride.....!

Best,

Steve D'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdambros1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdambros1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdambros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
...I wish it was supercharged, though, but oh well...
The Sky Red Line is supercharged. A turbo-supercharger. Puts out a peak of 20psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
The Sky Red Line is supercharged. A turbo-supercharger. Puts out a peak of 20psi.
Ya, it's turbo-charged, I know. Some turbos have a lag, which is what I don't like. With an engine driven supercharger, you don't ever have lag. From what I've heard, though, there isn't much lag in the SKY. I haven't test driven one yet.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Ya, it's turbo-charged, I know. Some turbos have a lag, which is what I don't like. With an engine driven supercharger, you don't ever have lag. From what I've heard, though, there isn't much lag in the SKY. I haven't test driven one yet.
You really SHOULD drive one... my previous experince with turbos was a 2001 Audi TT Quattro Convertible. NOTHING happened below about 3000 RPM! Thankfully it had a 6-speed...

The Sky Redline just pulls & pulls & pulls... feels much more like a high-output V6 than the 2.0 liter 4!

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCityShawn View Post
You really SHOULD drive one... my previous experince with turbos was a 2001 Audi TT Quattro Convertible. NOTHING happened below about 3000 RPM! Thankfully it had a 6-speed...

The Sky Redline just pulls & pulls & pulls... feels much more like a high-output V6 than the 2.0 liter 4!
Nice. I just think that a 22 year old kid coming into a dealership for a test drive of a 260hp sports car would just result in me getting shut down. Haha. Thing is, I have the money for one. My S car is on its last legs (as far as reliability), I need a new DD.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
midnightinohio
midnightinohio is on a distinguished road

I've had my red line for over a year abd I still love to drive it. The turbo is so smooth that you really don't notice any "turbo lag". It's just a real fun car to zip around in and it really shows up in a crowd!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midnightinohio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midnightinohio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midnightinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightinohio View Post
I've had my red line for over a year abd I still love to drive it. The turbo is so smooth that you really don't notice any "turbo lag". It's just a real fun car to zip around in and it really shows up in a crowd!
Ya. Since my fiance has an 07 Mustang Convertible, Redfire with black top, I need a flashy car, too. Haha. Plus we're moving to San Diego in a few months, so I want a convertible.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
I get a little bit of lag every now and then. It's mostly like pulling off from a stop sign and I get about three or four feet out and the tires will get a burst of torque and let out a short squeal (actually it's probably more like a chirp since it's no more than half a second). I thought it was my heavy foot or low tires at first but I ruled those out, and it happens occasionally even when im driving like a grandma on her way to church on sunday morning. But when at speed, you dont feel any lag unless you drop the pedal to the floor all of a sudden. And this car gets moving quick enough that I rarely ever have to push the peddle more than half way down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Nice. I just think that a 22 year old kid coming into a dealership for a test drive of a 260hp sports car would just result in me getting shut down. Haha. Thing is, I have the money for one. My S car is on its last legs (as far as reliability), I need a new DD.
Hey quicksc2, I was 23 last october when I went in to test drive a sky, so I doubt you'd get shut down. It was a red line too (with the salesman riding shotgun of course, since i'm not 25 yet). I even bought one two weeks later. Only car I needed to drive when looking to replace my SL1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoEngineer View Post
Hey quicksc2, I was 23 last october when I went in to test drive a sky, so I doubt you'd get shut down. It was a red line too (with the salesman riding shotgun of course, since i'm not 25 yet). I even bought one two weeks later. Only car I needed to drive when looking to replace my SL1.
Oh okay. I didn't think about having the salesman riding along. I've never had one ride along when I've test driven cars.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
spence
spence is on a distinguished road

I just turned 30 and Got a 2007 Saturn Sky redline, and man I love it!!! I call it my 1/3 of a life crisis. HAHAHA
"Faster than a Speeding Ticket"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Get the GMPP tune. You'll love it even more. Takes it up to 290hp and 340lb/ft of torque and removes the detune when you do mods like exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
spence
spence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Get the GMPP tune. You'll love it even more. Takes it up to 290hp and 340lb/ft of torque and removes the detune when you do mods like exhaust.
How much did it cost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Gerry Proctor
Master Member

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

$550.00 from Crate Engine Depot: http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...0-P2292C0.aspx

Plus $160 for my Saturn service dept to install it(can be done by any GM service dept, not just Saturn). Kit consists of two new TMAP sensors, sensor wiring and o-rings. Those are the only "hard" parts to the kit. Once the new sensors are installed, the service dept uses the kit code to download a new flash program from General Motors to the PCM. This kit comes from GM and keeps the factory warranty in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
s4turngolf3r
s4turngolf3r is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

man i would love one of those

--My First Car: 2001 SL-1. 3/23/2007--3/23/2009. 72K worry free miles.
--Current Ride: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sport 12750 Miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s4turngolf3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s4turngolf3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s4turngolf3r is offline   Reply With Quote