SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
rabbit_diesel
rabbit_diesel is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Engine Swap Dohc to Sohc Please help!

Ok, my plan was to take the DOHC motor out of the 1999 Sl2 that is blown and put the good motor from the smashed car in it which is a 2001 Saturn Sl1 SOHC. I began by looking at all of the wiring plugs under the fuse box in the engine bay and they looked like they would just plug right in. So, I began swapping the motors... I put the Sohc in and plugged in the wires to the fuse box, they plugged right in. I finally got to the point where I could hook up the battery terminals and noticed smoke rolling out from the main power wire going to the alternator, It was fried. So I thought Oh no now what. I looked at the plugs and noticed that the wires from the DOHC motor are in different holes than the SOHC so I started to change the wiring harness under the dash. Now I'm to the point where the headlights are malfunctioning and the windshield washer fluid motor stays on when I turn the key. The motor does start but doesn't stay running. It could be someting simple, but then maybe not. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
rabbit_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Engine Swap Dohc to Sohc Please help!

Well....

There is no reason to change any of the cars wiring harness'. To accomplish what you want to do, you need the engine, SOHC instrument cluster for your year car, SOHC PCM for a 1999 SL, SL1, SC1 or SW1. You'll also need the transmission that the SOHC engine came with. Your current transmission that was in your car wont be correct. More so if you have an automatic.

As for the fried wiring, it sounds like you didnt connect the starter/alternator/power wiring correctly.

And why would you do a DOHC to SOHC swap?? Everyone else does the opposite.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
Kal
Kal is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post

And why would you do a DOHC to SOHC swap?? Everyone else does the opposite.
Ya, I was wondering the same thing. Less power yikes. However maybe he just wants the better fuel economy, but I don't think its worth it. I like my DOHC's power. Anyway, sorry I can't be of any help.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

To change a DOHC motor to a SOHC motor the first thing that must be acquired is a SOHC PCM with the same options as the car its going in to. IE power locks, power windows, AND tranny type.

This is why nothing is working and the engine wont stay running.

The SOHC engine from the '01 will work with the '99 car. You need a '99 SOHC PCM Manual OR a '99 SOHC PCM Automatic.

If you have an automatic tranny in the '99, you also need a SOHC tranny. The SOHC PCM will not know what to do with the DOHC tranny. If you have a manual, it WILL Work, however fuel efficiency may suffer as the gear ratios are different.

Nothing should have to be altered to the wiring.

You will also need a SOHC cluster if you change tranny's.

No the PCM from the '01 will not fit in the '99.

I suggest puting the wiring back to the stock locations. Get a SOHC PCM that matches your car. You should be set after that as long as you dont have an automatic tranny.

Keep us posted. Good luck!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

he said why he's doing it:

"...take the DOHC motor out of the 1999 Sl2 that is blown and put the good motor from the smashed car in it which is a 2001 Saturn Sl1 SOHC."

some people might find a good DOHC to swap in, but he already had the wrecked SL1. sounds like a good allocation of resources.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
rabbit_diesel
rabbit_diesel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
To change a DOHC motor to a SOHC motor the first thing that must be acquired is a SOHC PCM with the same options as the car its going in to. IE power locks, power windows, AND tranny type.

This is why nothing is working and the engine wont stay running.

The SOHC engine from the '01 will work with the '99 car. You need a '99 SOHC PCM Manual OR a '99 SOHC PCM Automatic.

If you have an automatic tranny in the '99, you also need a SOHC tranny. The SOHC PCM will not know what to do with the DOHC tranny. If you have a manual, it WILL Work, however fuel efficiency may suffer as the gear ratios are different.

Nothing should have to be altered to the wiring.

You will also need a SOHC cluster if you change tranny's.

No the PCM from the '01 will not fit in the '99.

I suggest puting the wiring back to the stock locations. Get a SOHC PCM that matches your car. You should be set after that as long as you dont have an automatic tranny.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

Okay so I put the origional dash wiring harness back in and it was quite the releaf to my worries because everything in the interior and the headlights and signal lights are all back to normal again. I used a pcm(located under the dash on the left side) that was from a 1999 with a manual tranny. When I tried to use the key to turn over the motor, the relay for the starter just clicks and the current doesn't make it to the starter solenoid(I replaced the wire that fried). So I had an I idea... I turned the key ON and crossed the solenoid terminals and she turned over but didn't fire. It almost seems as thought it doesn't even know the motor is in... oh ya and the pcm that is above the tranny is missing the smaller plug because it is connected to the 2001's wiring harness, does that matter? I just put the harness in tonight and got tired so that's all the farther I got. I'd appreciate any info... Low Saturn and rc1488 were a big help, thanks

Last edited by rabbit_diesel; 08-30-2008 at 02:00 AM.
rabbit_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

nothing wrong with using what parts are available (free) and saving some gas, esp. nowadays.
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
Titanium48
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
nothing wrong with using what parts are available (free) and saving some gas, esp. nowadays.
Free parts are good, but I wouldn't expect any gas savings if that SOHC is paired with a DOHC transmission. 2200 RPM at 100 km/h in 5th gear is what saves gas, not 8 less valves.
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Pacco46
Pacco46 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have the same problem except I'm using a 95' sohc to replace a 99' dohc. Is there any other things i might need to know?? Will this app work with the dohc ecu?? thanks
Pacco46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacco46 View Post
Hi. I have the same problem except I'm using a 95' sohc to replace a 99' dohc. Is there any other things i might need to know?? Will this app work with the dohc ecu?? thanks
You'll need the SOHC exhaust manifold, downpipe and a 1999 SOHC PCM (ecu). And hopefully the car has a manual transmission and you're using the manual for a SOHC equipped car.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Pacco46

The 95 sohc was manual and the 99 is auto. I already got the 99 auto tranny on the soch but am hessitant to drop it in.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
I already got the 99 auto tranny on the soch but am hessitant to drop it in.
Dont. Because its not going to work.

The DOHC PCM will not properly control the SOHC engine. And a SOHC PCM can't control the MP7 (DOHC auto) transmission.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
Pacco46

Well all that work down the drain....guess i got no choice but to replace or rebuild the dohc. Thanks for your help saturn.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Well all that work down the drain....guess i got no choice but to replace or rebuild the dohc. Thanks for your help saturn.
You could always try to find a DOHC engine or SOHC manual transmission. I'd look for the DOHC engine.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Pacco46

yeah, I think i will find another DOHC......might even turbo the thing...anyway, thanks again Saturn.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #16
almoore
almoore is a jewel in the roughalmoore is a jewel in the roughalmoore is a jewel in the rough

1994 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I have replaced DOHC motors with SOHC motors.I have not changed any PCM's,or transmissions.Also ,never had any check engine lights.All of the cars ran great.If you have questions,send me a PM.
"No good deed goes unpunished"
almoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I'm getting better MPG with my '96 w/ power mods then my old '97 SC1 ever saw. What MPG gain by swapping to the crappy motor?
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
almoore
almoore is a jewel in the roughalmoore is a jewel in the roughalmoore is a jewel in the rough

1994 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Mileage gains are almost nil,but if your new SOHC is a good motor,the power loss is not very noticeable.DOHC motors are getting hard to find and are much more expensive here.I can buy a SOHC with 3000 miles,for 600 bucks.A DOHC with 130,000 miles for 750.So for daily transportation the swap makes sense.
"No good deed goes unpunished"
almoore is offline   Reply With Quote