SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Meriva is Called a Car Saturn Needs Now

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Meriva is Called a Car Saturn Needs Now

Quote:
CNNMoney.com assembled a list of vehicles it thinks GM should put into production as soon as possible. "General Motors' product pipeline contains some interesting products that could help bolster swooning sales," wrote the website. One new concept was picked and profiled for each of the company's brands.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Meriva is Called a Car Saturn Needs Now

I agree that Saturn, and GM for that matter, needs a car like the Meriva. It appears to offer what the popular Mazda 5 offers, space for a family of four or more while potentially offering better gas mileage than a mini van or a smaller SUV, as well as handling that is more than likely superior to that of a mini van or SUV. The styling itself is relatively sporty like the Mazda 5.

The author of this article writes about the Astra being designed in Europe for Europeans, eluding to this being the reason for its dismal sales. Although I unfortunately agree with the author, I also know that a vehicle like the Astra is what our country needs in a time when gas prices have tipped the $4 per gallon mark, albeit the Astra fills only a niche market and there are vehicles sold in our country that offer superior gas mileage. I personally like the Astra much more than the traditional compact sedan, but I am only one person. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Meriva is what the Europeans call an mpv and is one of the most popular vehicle styles sold in European countries. It is popular mostly because of the aforementioned reasons. If you read CAR magazine, you know what I mean. What I find humorous is this type of vehicle, which includes the Mazda 5, is basically designed for Europeans as well, yet the Mazda 5 is relatively popular in this country.

In conclusion, the Meriva appears to be the type of vehicle Saturn needs in order to compete in the now ever-changing automotive market. Whether or not it sells, remains to be seen. Unfortunately, if it has a Saturn emblem it will not be received as well as if a Chevrolet emblem was slapped on the car. Who knows whether or not North America will even see the Meriva. If you watched CNBC's Saving General Motors program you also know that Rick Wagoner appears more interested in investing money in China than in North America.

Only time will tell.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I'm not convinced that more Opels will help Saturn. If Saturn is to survive they need to go back to it's roots. They sold US built American cars.

Hot dogs, apple pie, and an Astra... It doesn't work...

IMO the typical Saturn owner doesn't want an imported car.

Opels are a niche market car in the US, like a Saab. They will sell like such.

If Saturn had a re badge of the Cobalt, they'd be selling 8-10k of them a month. We'd have happy Saturn dealers again...

I can see the new ad campaign... We fixed the ION!

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The Meriva is very small. It's not like the Mazda 5. It's more like the Honda Fit with a high roof.
I still want the Corsa. A 3 door with a rev happy small 4 cylinder and a manual transmission. No options, make it cheap and light.
Astra Twin Top too.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

It is certainly more Fit sized than Mazda5 sized. If they put the right motor in it (read: FSI Turbo or diesel), it will find a market here. They need to do nothing other than change the logos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opel-meriva-concept.jpg (59.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg opel-meriva-concept-doors.jpg (147.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Opel-Meriva.jpg (166.8 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
KeithR
KeithR is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I think that they should bring it over here as a Saturn. I could see it being a good seller here if they made it cheap. I would definitely look into buying one. It's pretty cool looking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KeithR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KeithR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KeithR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I think it is a good idea, bringing the Meriva over. However, I believe that most of these problems can be fixed by tweaking the Astra.

One big problem that is facing the Astra currently is the lack of options. There need to be more powertrain choices, and Saturn should bring over the remaining body styles.

A sedan would help, as well as a coupe, and even a convertible.

The only way I could see the Meriva succeeding is if it was priced competitively within the segment, maybe even lower, with outstanding Fuel economy.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
It is certainly more Fit sized than Mazda5 sized. If they put the right motor in it (read: FSI Turbo or diesel), it will find a market here. They need to do nothing other than change the logos.
Would it be OK at $23K?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Would it be OK at $23K?
Only if it had $5k in the trunk!! Anything over 18k in that size range is insane. The Fit, while nice, is a stretch at 18k for a nice one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I'm not convinced that more Opels will help Saturn. If Saturn is to survive they need to go back to it's roots. They sold US built American cars.

Hot dogs, apple pie, and an Astra... It doesn't work...

Opels are a niche market car in the US, like a Saab. They will sell like such.

If Saturn had a re badge of the Cobalt, they'd be selling 8-10k of them a month. We'd have happy Saturn dealers again...

I can see the new ad campaign... We fixed the ION!
Hot dogs (frankfurters) are German, apple pie is English and Astra is German designed/Belgium built....sure it works.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
Only if it had $5k in the trunk!! Anything over 18k in that size range is insane. The Fit, while nice, is a stretch at 18k for a nice one.
That's why you won't see the Meriva anytime soon. It would have to start at $20K for it to be worth selling in the US, otherwise it's a money loser. There's a reason why you don't see many sub $18K Astras.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
08auraj
08auraj is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 AURA XR

I really hope they dont bring that over. I honestly cannot stand that design. The Astra imo is a nice looking car for its class, just needs some minor tweaking to make it perfect. I think the Astra would be a big seller if it were marketed correctly and setup with the right option packages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08auraj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08auraj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08auraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Meriva

Zafira

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I think I'm the typical Saturn owner and I/we own one (and really want another to replace the 'Nox). What does that tell you? All we want is a good car for good money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
That's why you won't see the Meriva anytime soon. It would have to start at $20K for it to be worth selling in the US, otherwise it's a money loser. There's a reason why you don't see many sub $18K Astras.
The reason you don't see many sub-$18k ASTRAs is because people like to load up on options. You could get one for $16k. A Civic can get just as expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
The reason you don't see many sub-$18k ASTRAs is because people like to load up on options. You could get one for $16k. A Civic can get just as expensive.
At least you can find a Civic for under $16K. As sparse as it may be. Good luck finding an Astra that way. And you can find any number of Cobalts, Foci, Elantras, Spectras, that are sparsely equipped for low prices.
The Astras you see on the lot aren't expensive because all of the people want them that way. They're expensive because GM needs to recoup a lot of the money they lose for building it in Europe.
An Astra XE with just AT and AC is $18780
Elantra $15795
Cobalt $16395
Spectra $15850
Focus $16125
Civic $17760 for the LX or $15810+ whatever the dealer charges for AC.
Those are MSRP before various discounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
At least you can find a Civic for under $16K. As sparse as it may be. Good luck finding an Astra that way. And you can find any number of Cobalts, Foci, Elantras, Spectras, that are sparsely equipped for low prices.
The Astras you see on the lot aren't expensive because all of the people want them that way. They're expensive because GM needs to recoup a lot of the money they lose for building it in Europe.
Elantra $15795
Cobalt $16395
Spectra $15850
Focus $16125
Toss in rainsense wipers, heated side mirrors, and the fact that it's a hatch (extra wiper/washer, lift-gate, touchpad, etc.) that you don't get on the cars you listed and you get much closer to the same price. It's priced to be competitive in it's class: Rabbit, Mazda3. You've picked bargain basement cars (sans Civic) for your comparison, which is outside the ASTRA's scope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Elantra $15795
Cobalt $16395
Spectra $15850
Focus $16125
Don't forget, the Astra also comes with 4 wheel discs, ABS, 6 airbags, power windows/mirrors/locks, automatic wipers, tire pressure monitoring....it isn't stripped down like the others on your list are.

I'd still rather have the Astra, even if it is more expensive. We all screamed for a high quality interior, loads of features and great looks. Well, this is what it costs. We pissed and moaned for GM to bring it, said it looked great and was worth it....until we found out how much it cost, then it was a problem even though the Mazda 3, VW Rabbit, Civic and Corolla are sitting on the lots with sticker prices in the $24K zone. Nope, GM is stupid. Apparently all the other cars are worth that but the Astra isn't worth $18K (even though the Ion with similar equipment cost the same). We don't deserve this car.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Toss in rainsense wipers, heated side mirrors, and the fact that it's a hatch (extra wiper/washer, lift-gate, touchpad, etc.) that you don't get on the cars you listed and you get much closer to the same price. It's priced to be competitive in it's class: Rabbit, Mazda3. You've picked bargain basement cars (sans Civic) for your comparison, which is outside the ASTRA's scope.
Well of course, how else is he supposed to make his argument? Perhaps he should also pick manual transmission equipped versions since the price of automatics varies greatly. From a standard equipment point of view, the Astra is top notch and the Rabbit is about the only direct competitor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #20
KUDZU
KUDZU is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I think that is the problem. Saturn needs a cheap entry level car, minus all the bells and whistles. I've been a Saturn driver for years, but I bought a Toyota Yaris recently because I needed a new car in the 12K range and Saturn didn't make one. I could have gotten a used ION I suppose. Instead I got a Yaris for $12K with manual transmission, AC and cd/mp3 player with an ipod jack.

Saturn needs a car to compete with the Fit/Yaris/Versa, or at least a stripped down, base model Astra (kinda like the ION 1 from years ago) It looks like the Meriva would be a good candidate for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KUDZU's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KUDZU reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KUDZU is offline   Reply With Quote