SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Lightning Strikes SaturnFans.com World Headquarters

A new story entry has been added:

Lightning Strikes SaturnFans.com World Headquarters

Quote:
A fast-moving, severe thunderstorm wreaked havoc on the SaturnFans.com headquarters this past Saturday evening when lightning struck our home. We're finally back online, and things are beginning to return to normal. I'm just now catching up on forum posts, reading email, and gearing up to restart posting daily Saturn news updates.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Lightning Strikes SaturnFans.com World Headquarters

Glad to hear the house, your family, and server survived...

My house was hit in the 70's and it was amazing what the force of a lightning bolt can do. The bolt passed through a Realistic receiver laterally and the knobs were forced half off their shafts. All my cassettes were ruined. The audio was smeared between the layers of magnetic tape making weird echo affects.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
sparky741
sparky741 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
it was amazing what the force of a lightning bolt can do.
Indeed. If you can remember the scene in "Money Pit" when the wiring burns up like a fuse, I've seen similar results to a 220V thru-wall air conditioner that took a direct hit. The wiring looked to have actually exploded in the wall and blew plaster out into the room. Scary stuff...glad everyone is OK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparky741's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparky741 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparky741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Dizzy Re: Lightning Strikes SaturnFans.com World Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Glad to hear the house, your family, and server survived...
Yes, lightning is pretty scary -- and you are right, it could have been a lot worse!! Thankfully, the SaturnFans.com server is actually hosted in a data center, otherwise it would've been nuked. There's no damage on the outside of my house that I could see, but a surge came in from somewhere. My theory is that it got past the surge protector that my Internet router was plugged into and then it spread throughout the house over my home network. Everything with an Ethernet port that was plugged into the network was cooked.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
elgoto
elgoto is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

lighting does start from the ground up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elgoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elgoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elgoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

Time to buy a Hybrid Aura from Al, or reconsider offering a Saturnfans "subscription member" program?

Sorry to hear that Charlie. How much is homeowners actually covering? I've noticed they rarely ever cover anywhere near replacement value. When I was robbed I received about 10% of the value of what was stolen (and I was valuing my property at used rates).

Somehow usually when i've had lightning strikes near my house before, we always loose the same things....

The garage door motor, and the microwave. For some reason that's all we ever seem to loose.

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fotovue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
dalejrfan71
dalejrfan71 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

We had a severe thunderstorm go through this afternoon about 3:00pm. Our apartment building was struck by lightning and holy hell the thunder was deafening, not to mention it scared the crap out of me. It caused the fire alarms to go off, thank god the building wasn't damaged.

1994 - 2008
1995 Saturn SL1
R.I.P. old girl, you will be missed
280,350 KMs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I love my Malibu !!!!!!!

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dalejrfan71's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dalejrfan71 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dalejrfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Check with the maker of the surge protector. Many companies guarantee their products against lightning strikes and will replace anything that's damaged due to one. I know that's the only kind my brother ever bought. I don't know what brand it was though.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

That's no good. I'm glad everything is alright though. One of my good friends' houses took a nice hit from a lightning bolt last summer. They had to move into a hotel for a few weeks while the whole house was rewired. It fried everything plugged in to a wall outlet.

Like Kat said, a lot of surge protector manufacturers have guarantees against such things. They had their TV, VCR, game systems, and computers replaced for that reason. Something to look into if you haven't already...

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:15 AM   #10
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Surge protectors are certainly a worthwile investment to stop the high voltage spikes that can come in on the wiring however there is a "but" here.

Lightning does not have to actually HIT your wiring or the utility system supplying the power to your house to do damage. A strike to a tree or other object close to your house can still destroy electronics in your house. There is a strong electro-magnetic pulse associated with a strike. This pulse can induce a strong surge directly into electronic devices that are close by. Actually, devices that use integrated circuits and other micro devices are more susceptable to such damage. These devices are by design, low current devices. They are VERY easily damaged by electro static discharges. We often assume that if a device or appliance is damaged, it must have been either hit directly or the wiring feeding it was hit.

I will also say to Charlie that I am glad nobody in your family was hurt. Lightning is, as stated, very dangerous and powerful.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Charlie, look into a whole house surge protector that is installed on your electrical panel. They are supposed to work quite well.

OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote