SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Stev08
Stev08 is on a distinguished road

Default clutch install for 96 saturn sl2

Its time to change the clutch in my 96 saturn sl2 and I can't really find any how-tos or diagrams online as to whats involved. I read you have to take the engine out is this true? I've done about 10-15 clutches in other cars ranging from hondas to mazdas but never a saturn how difficult or different can it be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stev08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stev08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stev08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: clutch install for 96 saturn sl2

Search the forums, this gets covered a LOT, especially lately. You don't have to pull the engine. You don't even have to pull the tranny out of the car. Simply separate the engine and tranny and shove the tranny back into the wheelwell, you'll have plenty of room to access the clutch and flywheel. Or you can drop the driver's side of the cradle and slide the tranny right out of the car and open it right up.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
00 SLow
00 SLow is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
2000 SL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00 SLow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00 SLow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00 SLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Stev08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Search the forums, this gets covered a LOT, especially lately. You don't have to pull the engine. You don't even have to pull the tranny out of the car. Simply separate the engine and tranny and shove the tranny back into the wheelwell, you'll have plenty of room to access the clutch and flywheel. Or you can drop the driver's side of the cradle and slide the tranny right out of the car and open it right up.
REALLY??? don't even have to drop the tranny, what do I do just keep it attached to a engine mount somewhere and let it hang in the wheel well ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Stev08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Good number of threads on how to do it in the how to section.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ch+replacement

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

No, don't leave it attahced to anything. Disconnect it, shove it back into the wheel well. The engine will beed to be supported either from the top or the bottom once you remove the tranny.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Stev08

Cool guys thanks for the link and info. Definately sounds easier than most.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Stev08

Ok did the clutch swap today but a problem still persists. It was very hard to shift into gears to the point it wouldn't go in any gears before the clutch install. I was unaware, until I did the clutch, that this was the problem.

After we did the clutch it still doesn't go into any gears while the engine is on and rotating. While the engine is turned off however it goes in all gears just fine.

What could this be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

Well, it's a good thing August is clutch month.

I had the same problem after I replaced my clutch this spring. I was nuts already, so I can't say it drove me nuts.

The replacement clutch (Sachs) was the culprit. Replaced again, with a Luk, problem solved. The Sachs apparently had some tolerance problems. It just would not work right.

Did you check the hydraulic system?
Did the hydraulic system work BEFORE you did the repair?
Did you keep the slave cylinder lower than the M/C the whole time?
Do you know how to do the "wire" test, this tests fork movement vs. pedal movement.
Are you sure you installed the clutch correctly, fork clipped to the pivot ball, plastic fulcrum in place at the throw out bearing. Clutch cover evenly bolted to flywheel. Fluid in tranny. Fork in good shape. Plastic "nose" on the end of the slave rod. Slave rod seated in the dimple, in the fork.

Verify that the hydraulic system is working correctly.

BTW you CAN bleed the system, if you suspect air in the lines, it's messy, but not difficult.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Stev08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Well, it's a good thing August is clutch month.

I had the same problem after I replaced my clutch this spring. I was nuts already, so I can't say it drove me nuts.

The replacement clutch (Sachs) was the culprit. Replaced again, with a Luk, problem solved. The Sachs apparently had some tolerance problems. It just would not work right.

Did you check the hydraulic system?
Did the hydraulic system work BEFORE you did the repair?
Did you keep the slave cylinder lower than the M/C the whole time?
Do you know how to do the "wire" test, this tests fork movement vs. pedal movement.
Are you sure you installed the clutch correctly, fork clipped to the pivot ball, plastic fulcrum in place at the throw out bearing. Clutch cover evenly bolted to flywheel. Fluid in tranny. Fork in good shape. Plastic "nose" on the end of the slave rod. Slave rod seated in the dimple, in the fork.

Verify that the hydraulic system is working correctly.

BTW you CAN bleed the system, if you suspect air in the lines, it's messy, but not difficult.

Havn't bled the system yet, I will do that tomorrow. I had to come in and clean up for dinner lol. Could air in the system keep it from going in to gear. There's no grinding or any kind of noise it just won't move into gear.

As for keeping the slave cylinder lower I never disconnected it or the shifter cables off the tranny. I just slid the trans over about 6 inches to make room for the clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Do the wire test. Will it shift with the engine off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
Stev08

Yeah shifts into all gears fine when the engines off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Check your hydraulics. Barnowl has a great how-to in the library.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

What are you using for transmission fluid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
Stev08

dexron III

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, thats the right stuff.

Pull on the parking brake before doing the following and make sure you have plenty of clear space in front of the car as it might just take off. What happens if you select a gear (second or third) and then try to start the car? Does it crank at the normal speed or does it drag bad or not turn at all? This will check for a bad case of clutch drag and non release.

If it starts how far does the clutch come off of the floor before the engine starts to bog down?

Try all of this after verifying that the hydraulics are delivering the correct stroke. The plastic cap on the actuating rod didn't fall off did it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
Stev08

Yeah I somewhat tried that, I put it in first without the car started then started in gear. It wouldn't let me go out of 1st but didn't try moving the car I'll do that tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

With my "bad" Sachs clutch, the disengagement point was at the floor. You would think you had to shove the pedal through the floorboard to allow shifting!

With the good Luk clutch, the disengagement point is about 2 inches off the floor.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote