SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
MilwaukeeMike
MilwaukeeMike is on a distinguished road

Default Steering Column Noise

2008 FWD XR, approx 15,000 miles.

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks what sounds like rubber being twisted or rubbed against whilst turning the steering wheel at low speeds maneuvering out of the driveway or parking spot.

It's not a big deal...just a minor annoyance...and no, it's not the tires that I'm hearing.

Anyone else heard this in your VUE?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MilwaukeeMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MilwaukeeMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
CR Cirl
CR Cirl is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Steering Column Noise

I have. I just figured it was normal, though. I'm pretty sure it's been doing that ever since I got it. I'm almost to 12k miles now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CR Cirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CR Cirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CR Cirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I too have the same noise. Don't remember it making the noise last winter but only since it got hot and humid. I just put it down to that. Asked my dealer when I was in about a week ago but of course it wouldn't make the sound when I tried to demonstrate it. Seems to be most noticeable on first start up in the morning. Next time I take the car in for servicing I think I will leave it overnight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
gillers29
gillers29 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

I had the same thing in my RL. The service tech didn't hear it so I took him for a drive just in their parking lot. I think it was louder the faster I turned the wheel. He finally heard it and ended up greasing the steering shaft as it went through a rubber boot at the firewall. That stopped the noise. While the noise is not indicative of a problem, I didn't like it and now I am happy that it is quiet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gillers29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gillers29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gillers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Finally fixed my Steering Column Noise

I too have been dealing with this noise. I've tried greasing the boot, but the noise comes back.

I may have finally fixed it.

I took apart the rubber boot assembly that surrounds the column as it goes through the firewall. Everything slides up (the steering column). There is a rubber collar that slides off first. The second is the boot that is the weather seal. If you squeeze it, the rubber boot will detach from the metal firewall. It too can be pushed up the column.

I cleaned the steering column assembly and regreased it. I slide everything back in place. The noise is GONE.

I would recommend you have a good flashlight. You've got to get under the dash to get to the boots. It's also good to do it on a warm sunny day.

I think the reason the noise got worse was the amount of debris that had collected up in the collar. The assembly is a weather seal, so all the winter grime and salt gets up there.

This fix was for a 2003 VUE. I do not know how the seals may differ in the later models. Perhaps someone will post their results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Warren

As I said in another thread, the dealer informed me that it was a grommet that need "fixing". Anyway, after his "fix", the noise went away for about one month. Now it is back. I plan to take the vehicle in upon my return to Canada (wintering in Florida) and think I will take a copy of the post re: "cleaning and regreasing) and see if that will do the job. As was said, I don't think any harm is being done but it is annoying.
2008 XR (AWD) with 26,000 K (approx 17,000 miles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
BobWitt
BobWitt is on a distinguished road

I am a GM Employee that works on the VUE.

There is a Service Bulletin that covers this symptom - review with your service writer on your next visit...

BobWitt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWitt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWitt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
mrgto
mrgto will become famous soon enough

Bob, anything else you can tell us or point out what to look out for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrgto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWitt View Post

There is a Service Bulletin that covers this symptom - review with your service writer on your next visit...

BobWitt
Thanks Bob for the excellent response. I will certainly discuss with my service writer on my next visit. Will he (the service writer) have access to all Service Bulletins on his computer. Is it much of a "fix".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWitt View Post

BobWitt
Bob
Do you happen to have the number of the Service Bulletin. I checked the TSB list and I couldn't find one for "steering column noise". Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
blue_vue
blue_vue is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Took my VUE in for 1st service this weekend. Had a bit of a 'groan' from the steering especially during morning starts. Tech said power steering fluid was a bit low....topped off, and said its gone. I will monitor during the week. Just something else to consider.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue_vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Warren

Was anyone able to get this "problem" resolved. I am about to take my Vue in for its semi annual oil and filter change and would really like to have my retailer deal with this matter and any help I can give him would, if nothing else, make me feel better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
VampVue
VampVue is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Devil Re: Steering Column Noise

I had the same problem and Saturn replaced the entire Steering Column. All of the fluids were empty.....Stay tunned! I think it is a recall on this. Stay on them to replace!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VampVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VampVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VampVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillers29 View Post
I had the same thing in my RL. The service tech didn't hear it so I took him for a drive just in their parking lot. I think it was louder the faster I turned the wheel. He finally heard it and ended up greasing the steering shaft as it went through a rubber boot at the firewall. That stopped the noise. While the noise is not indicative of a problem, I didn't like it and now I am happy that it is quiet.
It's interesting how the 2008 still has the same problems that the first VUE's had in 2002... Dielectric silicon grease would be a great lubricant for this area. It wouldn't dry up and is slick and water resistant.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
It's interesting how the 2008 still has the same problems that the first VUE's had in 2002... Dielectric silicon grease would be a great lubricant for this area. It wouldn't dry up and is slick and water resistant.
Excactly! Did that to mine and it's been quiet ever since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Excactly! Did that to mine and it's been quiet ever since.
Not to show my incompetence in this area, but may I be so bold as to ask "Where did you apply the grease". Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
hand-filer

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Not to show my incompetence in this area, but may I be so bold as to ask "Where did you apply the grease". Thanks
At the point where the steering shaft passes though the firewall as viewed from within the vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
At the point where the steering shaft passes though the firewall as viewed from within the vehicle.
I finally bought some silicon and applied it exactly where you mentioned. Guess what, the groaning noise is gone. Thanks so much for the tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
hand-filer

2008 VUE Red Line

Hey Warren,
Glad I could help.
H-F

REWARD EXCELLENCE!