SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
ziprhead
ziprhead is on a distinguished road

Default What is the "Drive Cycle" needed to reset the engine code

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm calling this the right thing which may explain me not being able to find it in the search. But, I have had my check engine light reset and I think (hope) that my problem is fixed, however I understand that there is a certain "drive cycle" that cars need to go through before they have all the information they need to verify that the emissions systems on the car is indeed running properly.

I have heard some people say a certain number of miles, etc.?

It will need to be smog checked, and I don't want to pay just to find out that the computer doesn't have enough data to give an ok. Also, for my own peace of mind I would like to know at what point the car has passed the point of throwing the code again. (although I realize that it could still be an intermittent problem and throw the code a month later anyway)

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ziprhead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ziprhead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ziprhead is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What is the "Drive Cycle" needed to reset the engine code

I think I've heard 50 miles...and then I've heard a certain amount of open/closed loops. But if you're just trying to reset an SES code, the local auto parts store can usually do that for you.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
ziprhead
ziprhead is on a distinguished road

Thanks, yeah I had it reset and just wanted to know how long before the computer has enough data collected to either trip the light again, or give the ok signal.

50 miles sounds reasonable.. What is an open/close loop? is that a starting/ turning off the car?

Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ziprhead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ziprhead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ziprhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Take a 20 min drive through traffic and on a highway where you can get about 5 to 10 min of cruise time at over 45 mph. Shut it off and go somewhere for lunch. Start it back up and repeat. That should do it for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziprhead View Post
50 miles sounds reasonable.. What is an open/close loop? is that a starting/ turning off the car?
Before I bought my L300 I didn't have a clue too. Open/closed loop is in reference to the BIG BROTHER mandates of emissions control. Essentially, when a car is first started and coolant temperatures are below operating levels the PCM (engine computer) runs in open loop mode where the engine is running as rich as possible to quickly warm up, emissions fall by the wayside, until warm up is complete. The PCM detects the warmed up engine and enters closed loop mode where emissions are closely monitored by the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor is useless below 600F and the main reason open loop is used at the beginning of a cold engine start otherwise a HOT O2 sensor can be used immediately but not after a simple engine shutdown. The exhaust keeps the temps above the 600F operating temperature required to keep the O2 sensor working.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Check out the inspection laws in your state. I'm in New York where up to 2
readiness monitors can be in not ready mode and you still pass inspection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

There answer to your question is here:

Quote:
OBD-II Driving Cycle
If you have a 96 or newer vehicle you have the OBD-II diagnostic system. This system is constantly monitoring the sensors and solenoids on the engine. If you have replaced the battery, disconnected the battery or cleared the codes after making a repair you will need to do what is called a "Driving Cycle". This will perform a diagnostic on all the systems the computer monitors. This cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start
In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50C (122F) and within 6C (11F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle
The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on maximum and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate
Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate
Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate
Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate
This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Zipr, it helps if you add an approximate location and your car's vitals to your profile..

Once you've completed the driving cycle Low suggested, go back to the place that reset the code. Their scanner will also indicate which checks are complete, any that are still due and show any pending codes that may have been recorded (make sure they don't re-set it!). If all are complete, and there are no pending codes you should be good to go.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

Last edited by off-track; 07-27-2008 at 08:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
ragde22
ragde22 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Hey Low Saturn, I have a 2006 Ion (Sedan) and I have problems to activate the EVAP Monitor, All the rest of the Monitors are OK, only that one. What is the best and fastest way to activate that one!!!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
There answer to your question is here:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ragde22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ragde22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ragde22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragde22 View Post
Hey Low Saturn, I have a 2006 Ion (Sedan) and I have problems to activate the EVAP Monitor, All the rest of the Monitors are OK, only that one. What is the best and fastest way to activate that one!!!

Thanks.
This is a S series forum. You need to post this in the Ion section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
ragde22
ragde22 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Attention Re: What is the "Drive Cycle" needed to reset the engine code

Sorry, I will.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ragde22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ragde22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ragde22 is offline   Reply With Quote