SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Development of an All-New (and Unique!) Saturn Aura Underway

A new story entry has been added:

Development of an All-New (and Unique!) Saturn Aura Underway

Quote:
AutoWeek magazine reported via its website earlier this week that Saturn will indeed offer a new version of its critically acclaimed and increasingly popular Aura sedan. For awhile now, it has been widely believed that the next Aura would be a rebadged version of the GM Epsilon II-based Opel and Vauxhall Insignia, which was just unveiled at the London Motor Show.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Development of an All-New (and Unique!) Saturn Aura Underway

It indeed would be a very smart move to give buyers choices of powertrains in the new Aura. People will be able to evaluate both costs and their driving patterns to configure the vehicle to best fit their budget and needs. I also hope they do make the Aura look different from the other GM versions of this vehicle. That would certainly reduce the frequent re-badging criticism often directed at GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I can't imagine it takes 2-3 years to slap on some new fenders and grill on the Aura. In 2-3 years while Aura's competitors will have newer improved platforms, the Aura will just have a cheap makeover...

New engines may help, but the Aura's chassis is overweight. This reduces the gains of more efficient power plants.

Bob Lutz must realize that the Aura doesn't sell enough to warrant an updated chassis...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

Last edited by BobbyP; 07-26-2008 at 02:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
New engines may help, but the Aura's chassis is overweight. This reduces the gains of more efficient power plants.
The XR is definitely on the high end. It does look like getting a 4 cylinder does save about 200 lbs

Dimensions: Exterior & Cargo

With this chart, you can easily see a model's exterior dimensions, turning circle, weight, and cargo capacity. To sort models by a specification, click on the top of that column.

Exterior & cargo | Seating capacity
SORT BY COLUMN HEAD (Arrow indicates current selection)

Make/Model Weight lb.
Mazda Mazda6 sedan 3,150
Nissan Altima sedan 2.5 S 4-cyl CVT 3,215
Honda Accord sedan LX-P 4-cyl 3,270
Toyota Camry LE 4-cyl 3,280
Ford Fusion Base 4-cyl 3,320
Mercury Milan Base 4-cyl 3,320
Volkswagen Jetta 3,330
Chrysler Sebring sedan Touring 4-cyl 3,335
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4-cyl 3,340
Kia Optima EX 4-cyl 3,345
Mazda Mazda6 sedan s V6 3,355
Pontiac G6 sedan Base 4-cyl 3,365
Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-cyl 3,380
Kia Optima EX V6 3,430
Mitsubishi Galant ES 4-cyl 3,430
Nissan Altima sedan 3.5 SE V6 CVT 3,435
Chevrolet Malibu LT 4-cyl 3,460
Volkswagen Passat sedan 2.0T 4-cyl 3,465
Chrysler Sebring sedan Touring V6 1 3,480
Ford Fusion SEL V6 3,480
Mercury Milan SEL V6 3,480
Nissan Altima sedan Hybrid 4-cyl CVT 3,525
Toyota Camry XLE V6 3,530
Pontiac G6 sedan GT V6 3,540
Subaru Legacy sedan 2.5 GT Liited 4-cyl 3,540
Dodge Avenger 3,550
Honda Accord sedan EX-L V6 3,570
Saturn Aura XE V6 3,570
Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 3,600
Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 3,605
Volkswagen Passat sedan 3,615
Pontiac Grand Prix 3,630
Toyota Camry Hybrid 4-cyl CVT 3,650
Saturn Aura XR V6 3,670
Mitsubishi Galant GTS V6 3,715

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

What does the weight of the existing Aura have to do with a new model based on a new platform? Isn't it a reasonable assumption that with the increasing importance of fuel efficiency, designers and engineers will be seeking ways to reduce weight? I would think the Saturn/GM people would follow that trend for any new product line and a redesigned Aura would be no exception.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
What does the weight of the existing Aura have to do with a new model based on a new platform? Isn't it a reasonable assumption that with the increasing importance of fuel efficiency, designers and engineers will be seeking ways to reduce weight? I would think the Saturn/GM people would follow that trend for any new product line and a redesigned Aura would be no exception.
Reducing weight is difficult if there are new safety regs and people who want cars that are silent on the inside while cruising at 85 MPH.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
Two major determining factors of a cars gas mileage is it's weight, and it's aerodynamics. The Aura and VUE are overweight in comparison to it's competitors. A new platform is the manufacturers opportunity to correct the weight problem. You have too much trust in Saturn/GM's decision making. Remember they they want to "weather out" the current problems and go back to business as usual...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
A new platform is the manufacturers opportunity to correct the weight problem. You have too much trust in Saturn/GM's decision making. Remember they they want to "weather out" the current problems and go back to business as usual...
I'm not nearly as pessimistic about GM's chances as some people but my trust in Saturn/GM is largely irrelevant to the outcome. Most of the manufacturers are in a battle for their economic lives as they deal with the reality of increased costs of petroleum based fuel for their customers. No one is going to succeed by "weathering out" anything. They will adjust or die. New designs and technologies will be essential and every manufacturer including GM will have to deal with this. Manufacturers will have to quickly get the right (in terms of design and cost) new products to market and ultimately it will be the marketplace that determines the winners and losers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I'm worried about the comments about a new mid-sized product from Saturn. This is making me think the AURA is getting the axe. I sure hope not.

Also, we should cool it on the redesign idea for now.. The car is still a fairly new design, give it some time, and redesign the interior.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

I fear with the budgets getting cut that the current Aura's slow start put it well down the list. It seems that they are going to put a push on Buick's midsize products (along with Chevy) and let Saturn trundle along with the same vehicles that are, in the words of Lutz, not selling up to expectations. Even Mercury is getting some new cars next year but it looks like the Aura will be around in present form for many years to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Hmm. Much of this sounds familiar.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoAura View Post
Hmm. Much of this sounds familiar.
Yup, looks like Saturn's rebirth may just be a re-do of it's birth after all. Give it a bit of attention, then let it stagnate for 10 years while only evolving current product.

I looked at the Opel website and omg the Insignia is a fantastic looking car. If it drives on par with its European competition, then it would be a much nicer car than the current Aura or Malibu (which I really like). The G6 cousin isn't even close (but I do like the looks of the G6 coupe!).

IMHO (shared by MANY over at GM Inside News), this is a tragic mistake, not "re-badging" the Opel Insignia as a Saturn Aura gen2.

BOB, ARE YOU LISTENING??? Why waste all that money and TIME re-engineering a beautiful, amazing-looking car that American buyers LIKE almost universally, to introduce who-knows-what in 3 years????

GM will never survive at this rate, and it really makes me sad.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

If GM keeps going in this direction, I think the stock holders (not me) will demand a higher ROI. That will likely mean GM kills off another brand.
Most likely candidates for getting axed would be
(1) Saturn, (2) Buick, (3) Pontiac (4) GMC (5) Hummer ?
Your pick___________ Other brand? _____________
Why ____________

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
If GM keeps going in this direction, I think the stock holders (not me) will demand a higher ROI. That will likely mean GM kills off another brand.
Most likely candidates for getting axed would be
(1) Saturn, (2) Buick, (3) Pontiac (4) GMC (5) Hummer ?
Your pick___________ Other brand? _____________
Why ____________
I'd actually put Hummer first, then GMC, Pontiac and Buick. I've said many times, GM may be down to Chevy and Cadillac by 2020, with perhaps Saturn as the 'global' division selling Opel subcompact, compact and mid-size cars with high fuel economy. The combining of B-P-G is a start, as is the rumor of Saturn possibly being combined with B-P-G. Hide and watch.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Wow, the Aura is overweight for it's class??? Now, let's look at the FACTS:

(Note - equivilant mid-size 4 door models with V6 and Auto Trans, similarly equiped, stats courtesy of MSN Autos and Edmunds)

Saturn Aura XE - 3529 lbs 18/29 mpg (22/34 best in class 2.4L for 2009)
Honda Accord - 3600 lbs 19/29 mpg
Toyota Camry - 3516 lbs 22/31 mpg
Ford Fusion - 3280 lbs 18/26 mpg
Nissan Altima - 3417 lbs 19/26 mpg
Chrysler Sebring - 3576 lbs 16/26 mpg

Gee, looks like the Aura is world class to me. And styling on the Aura is #1, as we all know. One reason the Euro models weigh less is that they do not have to comply with US Safety standards that add weight. Also, from experience, Euro versions of US-sold models are often not as well sound insulated and have less plush interiors that save weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma View Post
I fear with the budgets getting cut that the current Aura's slow start put it well down the list. It seems that they are going to put a push on Buick's midsize products (along with Chevy) and let Saturn trundle along with the same vehicles that are, in the words of Lutz, not selling up to expectations. Even Mercury is getting some new cars next year but it looks like the Aura will be around in present form for many years to come.
Much like they have since the '08 Malibu came out...

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The 'Spin Doctors' are playing with your heads.

The reality is, however much we all love and respect our Saturns, that to GM, it is just a brand and, with regard to market share it does very little, at the moment. GM is in a financial crisis, so, whatever plans it had before for promoting and improving the brand, have now gone out of the window.

In a recent article in the Toronto Star, the prospect of a GM bankruptcy was discussed. it noted that nearly all GM brands except Chevrolet had very little market share and that a lot of the GM brands could easily go the way of Oldsmobile, simply because there were too many brands to finance and keep alive. As an example Chevrolet was quoted at 12.9% market share, compared to Saturns 1.4%. Which do you think GM would prefer to keep?

It is my opinion that the spin doctors want you to believe that there is a new Aura coming, but in reality they are buying time time to see how the industry will pan out over the next couple of years before they make any more business decisions on which brand will live and which will die. In some cases, that decision will likely already have been made as I have no doubt we will see over the next few months.

Hit the 'link' for the article:

www.wheels.ca/article/301059

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote