SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Kaya
Kaya is on a distinguished road

Default Power steering gave out during rain

We've had some terrible rains out hear in the NE. The other day, I was cruising down the highway in some severe weather. I was in the right hand lane and there was flooding everywhere. Anyway, I was going about 50 mph down 93 South and the power steering just went...just like that. This happened one other time, turning into a parking space (in the rain too). It was out for a good 15 seconds and I thought we were going to die! I had my 83 year old grandfather in the front seat saying "what do you mean you can't steer it?". Luckily, I was able to slow down without incident and it eventually kicked back in. Has this happened to anyone else out there? We are bringing it in tomorrow to be looked at AGAIN! Any feed back is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Power steering gave out during rain

Wet slipping belt?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i havnt ever heard of this happening before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

This happened to me on Friday in heavy rains and light flooding. I lost all power steering but could still steer (difficultly). Water was getting up in to the engine area and I think the belt just got too wet and could not get any grip.

This can happen to any car - except for those with the electronic steering pump.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Kaya

Thanks for your thoughts. I knew it had to do with the weather... The wet belt sounds like the probable cause. It was also making a very loud "screaming" noise when it was happening. Any remedy besides staying out of the puddles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

The screaming sound you heard was most definitely the belt slipping. When the sound stopped, your steering came back? Sounds like a significant safety issue to me. I would at the least get it documented in your service records. Even if they say they can't fix it. Maybe there's an issue with the tensioner not keeping enough pressure on the belt to minimize this. As atated already, any wet belt can slip. But it shouldn't slip that easily.

Jason
On my 4th and 5th Saturn - 2006 Ion RL Stage 2, 2007 Outlook XR loaded to the gills minus leather and Nav.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Bulletin #07-02-32-010:

Intermittent Stiff Steering, Steering Effort Hard, A/C Compressor Noise, Drive Belt Squeal/Chirp (Replace Both Front Inner Wheel Well Front Liners)

Condition:
Some customers may comment that after driving through a puddle of water, one or more of the following conditions may occur:

Intermittent Stiff Steering

Intermittent Steering Effort Hard

Intermittent Compressor Noise When AC is On

Intermittent Drive Belt Squeal/Chirp

Cause:
These conditions may be caused by water splashing onto the drive belt and causing the belt to slip on the pulleys.

Long story short, there is a newer design wheel well liner with an additional rubber flap on each side added to better protect the engine compartment, your Outlook may have been built before such liners were used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MaxSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Good info! I prolly would never encounter this problem as I live in the desert SW. Rains for maybe 2-3 wks the entire year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Kaya

MaxSL2- Thank you so much for providing the bulletin info. This is a tremendous help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
DeeDe
DeeDe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
We've had some terrible rains out hear in the NE. The other day, I was cruising down the highway in some severe weather. I was in the right hand lane and there was flooding everywhere. Anyway, I was going about 50 mph down 93 South and the power steering just went...just like that. This happened one other time, turning into a parking space (in the rain too). It was out for a good 15 seconds and I thought we were going to die! I had my 83 year old grandfather in the front seat saying "what do you mean you can't steer it?". Luckily, I was able to slow down without incident and it eventually kicked back in. Has this happened to anyone else out there? We are bringing it in tomorrow to be looked at AGAIN! Any feed back is appreciated.
We have had the same problem several tmes over the past year and have reported it to NHTSA. We had the wheel well liners installed and it did not work. We were told that this is normal when driving in heavey rain/ puddles. I agree it is very scarry and extremely dangerous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeeDe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeeDe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeeDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

If there's enough water around to shut off your power steering maybe you shouldn't be driving.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Many cars in the 70's and 80's were just as bad. My 1980 Buick Skylark had the same problem.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
If there's enough water around to shut off your power steering maybe you shouldn't be driving.
Thanks for the helpful advice. Unfortunately, as pointed out above, the problem is a design flaw in the wheel wells that allow water into the engine compartment, and so your advice is perhaps misplaced in this case...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #14
DeeDe
DeeDe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So are you suggesting that I not go to work, take kids to school, etc. because it is raining? Hmmm do not think any of us spent that much money to purchase a new car only to park it in the rainy weather! As stated I drove through a puddle!

The new wheel liners were installed and unfortunately that did not fix the problem. Have been back several times with no luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeeDe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeeDe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeeDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDe View Post
So are you suggesting that I not go to work, take kids to school, etc. because it is raining? Hmmm do not think any of us spent that much money to purchase a new car only to park it in the rainy weather! As stated I drove through a puddle!

The new wheel liners were installed and unfortunately that did not fix the problem. Have been back several times with no luck!
Both posts say heavy rains/puddles. So yes, don't drive when you're having a flood.
Plus you can still steer a car (even a truck) without power steering

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. Unfortunately, as pointed out above, the problem is a design flaw in the wheel wells that allow water into the engine compartment, and so your advice is perhaps misplaced in this case...
I definitely understand the concept but I think the OP and later commenters are understating the amount of water on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
jdunc2002
jdunc2002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I definitely understand the concept but I think the OP and later commenters are understating the amount of water on the road.
I do not believe telling someone you do not know personally they are a bad driver is the way to solve this terrible design flaw in the '07 Outlooks. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with mine. You do not have to be driving through deep water or terenchal rain, you just have to drive will the road is wet. It is extremely frustrating to be the one on the side of the road when it is raining and to be told by the Saturn dealership to purchase a $500 part to fix their own design flaw.
Unfortunately, this is only one of many problems with this vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdunc2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdunc2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdunc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
vmgray
vmgray will become famous soon enough

2007 Outlook XE

I have had this problem with my 07 Outlook since November. It did not matter if it was heavy or light rain. The dealer talked me down the first time it happened as if it were nothing. Then when it happened again I insisted they look into it. They discovered that the 07's were not installed with extenders in the fender wells to divert water getting to the belts. They ordered them and installed on Dec 8. They told me it was not going to be an issue anymore. Well they were wrong. It happened 2x yesterday witin a mile from home. I called the service department and they don't have an answer. They told me to get Saturn Customer Service involved so I did. C/S took all my history and will get back to me after they speak to my service dept. This is a very serious safety issue and I hope to be able to let you know that Saturn is doing the right thing to address and correct it. Be safe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vmgray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vmgray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vmgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
KC4ZGE
KC4ZGE is on a distinguished road

Yes they do have a fix for this by adding to fender wells it is not a complete fix but have had less prob mine is 07 xr loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KC4ZGE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KC4ZGE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KC4ZGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
vmgray
vmgray will become famous soon enough

2007 Outlook XE

On Thursday Saturn service went over my well extender installation and said it was done right. Today, Friday, the manager called me and said he found another memo that suggests replacing the belt if problem persists. It could have been damaged in prior episodes. I am set to go in next week for that repair. They still want it on a rainy day to drive it around and experience it for themselves. Will keep you posted

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vmgray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vmgray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vmgray is offline   Reply With Quote