SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
aph3x
aph3x is on a distinguished road

Default '07 Saturn Outlook - Vacation Ruined - THANKS GM!

We have a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD. The vehicle was purchased in June of 2007. We chose this car over several others because of the size (coming from a suburban), amenities and the cost.

At first we were very happy with the vehicle. It was fun to drive, cost a lot less to operate than the suburban and sat our entire family comfortably. After about a week is when things started going wrong with yesterday being the straw that broke the camels back.

The first week after buying the Outlook we pressed the button to close the rear door automatically and nothing. I went to the back of the vehicle and checked and it the arm that opens/closes the door no longer worked. We took it into the dealership where it was dropped off FOR A WHOLE DAY to be told that they needed to order the part and come by next week. We did that and it works again. A little bit of a pain but not the end of the world.

A few months later we start to realize that whenever you start or stop the vehicle that the drivers seat would move back and forth a little bit. We took it to the saturn dealership, again, it was there the whole day. I come back in the evening (i never received a call) and was told that they need to order a new seat chassis and to come back in a week.

We walked out the house this winter to find one of the chome rear parts of the rail had just fallen off the car. Took into the dealership and they claimed to have fixed. It wasnít - if you touch these things they fall off.

We come back in a week, it gets the work done, it STILL does this after that - the dealership takes it back in and finally gets it fixed.

The Outlook then a few months later is in the car wash. Kids are in the back seat and all of a sudden there is water coming in from both rear doors. Being busy the Outlook hasnít gone in for this yet.

A year later a whole bunch of the interior trim is falling off. The rear door entry panels have come off. The cover in the rear where the jack always falls open when we drive.

Even after all this we still enjoyed the Outlook since most things would get taken care of and it was reliable and more comfortable than our other car for family trips (other vehicle is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd). We recommended it to people since we were approached often because of the way it looks and we told everyone it was a great car.

Fast forward to yesterday. We decided to drive from Reno, NV to the LA area to have a mini vacation. We get about 10 miles from our destination (on the 101) and all of a sudden I hear a big POP. I tell my fiance to pull over so I can check the tires (I assumed we had a flat). I checked all four tires, everything was OK so I summed it up to driving over something. As soon as we pull forward I continue to hear a metal dragging sound so I have her pull over and I look underneath the vehicle to see the tip of the front driveshaft resting on the road. Iím in disbelief - we are sitting on the side of the 101 in busy traffic (4PM on a Friday) in a 1 year old car with 13K miles looking at driveshaft on the ground.

We hit the onstar button and were put in touch with someone immediately who took the information and then put us through to someone who would assist in getting a tow truck to us. We explained the details (it was my fiance, the 3 kids (9,9 &12) + luggage) and they said they would call us back with an ETA of when the tow truck would arrive.

20 minutes went by with no call from OnStar or the tow company. With traffic getting worse, the kids having to go to the bathroom and the danger of the situation (busy traffic and weíre on the tip of an onramp) we called a family member who was nice enough to drive down and pick my fiance and the kids up. I remained with the vehicle.

During this time I called the local saturn dealership (Saturn of Ventura) and spoke to the service department - the person I spoke told me we may have to wait for the part to be ordered but at least the work should be free that its under warranty. I asked if there was any way we could have a loaner vehicle and he said no, there is nothing we can do.

We then called our local dealership (Saturn of Reno) and talked to the general manager there. He explained that the Ventura Saturn dealership should get us into a rental vehicle and get us on our way. My fiance then called Ventura saturn dealership and they explained they would do this.

The tow truck took the Outlook and dropped me off at our relatives house. We called the dealership but at this point it was after 5 so we waited until this morning.

At 9AM this morning we called the dealership and they explained that they had to order the part, they would do this overnight but it probably wouldnít arrive until Monday afternoon. We asked for morning delivery (because I need to be back in Reno by Tuesday morning) but they werenít willing to budge on the afternoon delivery). They told us to call Enterprise for a rental vehicle and that we should be able to get something comparable until it gets fixed.

We started calling around to Enterprise Rental shops and after explaining what was going on were told that the local enterprises only had a Pathfinder in stock but that GM only pays to rent GM vehicles. The Saturn dealership backed this up saying they only pay to rent GM Vehicles. Ok, fair enough - we are going to find a GM vehicle that is comparably sized to carry myself, my fiance, the kids and one of their cousins.

Well - we found trailblazer but now saturn says they will only cover $37.50 a day - that covers a Chevy Aveo at Enterprise! NOT the equivalent sized vehicle. If we wanted something bigger that we would have to pay for it (much more expensive ESPECIALLY on weekends) and are now left wondering what to do. We have no way to travel to the events and places we were planning on this weekend and if we arenít able to get it fixed on monday I may be looking at spending $150 to fly back up Monday to reno.

At this point I am disgusted not only by the quality of this vehicle but also how we are being handled for this. Our vacation at this point has been a failure since we are unable to travel as a family anywhere and Saturn certainly isn't doing anything more than the absolute bare minimum to help us.

This sucks. Thanks GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aph3x's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aph3x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aph3x is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: '07 Saturn Outlook - Vacation Ruined - THANKS GM!

I'm so sorry to hear about your roadtrip experience. It is never fun when you have the whole family loaded up & something goes wrong. The roadside assistance with Onstar is one of my favorite features... Murphy dictates that IF you're going to have a problem, it is going to happen on your roadtrip while you're a state or two away.

Unfortunately, the loaner or rental program is not designed to be a direct replacement for the vehicle you purchased... not that that helps when you've ot a trip planned or are in the middle of one.

I'm sure that the Saturn stores you've been working with will get your Outlook up and rolling again as soon as they possibly can.

Do they know yet what could have caused such a catastrophic failure in the drivetrain?

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

its sad to hear of so many problems with your outlook. maybe they will fix this and you will drive a long time without anymore problems as you have had your share. i bought my 08 on friday the 13th last july. it has 17k miles and has never been back so its not all outooks that have these problems. good luck and hope all goes better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCityShawn View Post
Do they know yet what could have caused such a catastrophic failure in the drivetrain?

The campaign for the propellershaft/driveshaft front bolts not being done?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
aph3x
aph3x is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
The campaign for the propellershaft/driveshaft front bolts not being done?
I think this is exactly it - of course I didn't know about this TSB until after the fact.

Have you seen this happen to other outlooks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aph3x's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aph3x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aph3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

I have seen loose bolts but never seen a shaft fall off yet.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
jf7fsu
jf7fsu is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Wow that is an unbelievable story. I am really sorry for all that happened to you. I took delivery of my 07 XR FWD on July 3, 2007 and the only issues I have had is the standard problem of the jack door coming open.

Outlook XR Cocoa/Black, Touring Pkg, Leather, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg, Molded Mudguards, Sidesteps, Remote Start, Hood Deflector, GMPP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jf7fsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jf7fsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jf7fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Does anyone have the TSB # for this campaign. I am taking my Outlook in tomorrow to have the Stabilitrac checked since the computer display notified us to have it serviced. Don't know what that is about since it only has 12,000 miles on it but I would like to have them check the drivetrain to keep that from possibly occurring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

stabilitrac doesnt need to be serviced. if message comes on something is wrong with it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
chunda2
chunda2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook33 View Post
Does anyone have the TSB # for this campaign. I am taking my Outlook in tomorrow to have the Stabilitrac checked since the computer display notified us to have it serviced. Don't know what that is about since it only has 12,000 miles on it but I would like to have them check the drivetrain to keep that from possibly occurring.
Please see my posts under "Bad Cams"....this is exactly what happened with my Outlook. There is nothing wrong with the Stabilitrak or ABS...more than likely you have bad sensors.

After going through my own little nightmare - this morning I talked to Saturn and have officially opened up a case file to start the process of getting my vehicle replaced by the dealer. The head cylinders were replaced, then they found a major electrical failure, decided to replace the entire wiring harness, the new wiring harness did not correct the problem...now they are waiting on ANOTHER wiring harness to be delivered to see if that one will work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chunda2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chunda2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chunda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf7fsu View Post
Wow that is an unbelievable story. I am really sorry for all that happened to you. I took delivery of my 07 XR FWD on July 3, 2007 and the only issues I have had is the standard problem of the jack door coming open.
Get them to replace the door. I went through 3 of them before they got one that had a good latch on it. My dealer said nearly everyone had the issue.

By the way, you took delivery on my birthday!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
Galaxusion
Galaxusion is on a distinguished road

Saturn of Ventura are a bunch of you know what! Don't trust them, they destroyed my 07 XR and I now have a lemon. Call this number 800-553-6000, Saturn headquarters and file a complaint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galaxusion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galaxusion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Galaxusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I went in today and they told me they are getting me a rental car b/c one cam has too much movement and it will take a couple of days to fix. I will keep you updated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

Wow, this is sad. Sounds like their build quality isn't all there, and that with all the things popping off the interior etc that the manufacturing tolerance and/or glue they're using isn't very good.

What's really sad though is how the auto reviewers, including Consumer Reports which usually rants about American cars, all seem to be raving about the Outlook and its siblings. They love its driving characteristics, handling, power, and utility and rate right there at the top in its class. Then we see that GM just can't control its build quality, or can't figure out the correct adhesive to use that will hold up.

Not that making a vehicle with 1000s of parts is easy, but the Japanese seem to do it all the time with pretty decent job in initial quality and in reliability, so why can't Americans? Note that many of the foreign cars are built in the USA now and have great quality, so it has to be design, materials and assembly line organization and execution, not the American workers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont think that things falling off an outlook is a normal thing. hasnt been a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
jf7fsu
jf7fsu is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
i dont think that things falling off an outlook is a normal thing. hasnt been a problem.
Agree. Most of the Outlooks that have no issues do not post here.

Outlook XR Cocoa/Black, Touring Pkg, Leather, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg, Molded Mudguards, Sidesteps, Remote Start, Hood Deflector, GMPP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jf7fsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jf7fsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jf7fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Not that making a vehicle with 1000s of parts is easy, but the Japanese seem to do it all the time with pretty decent job in initial quality and in reliability, so why can't Americans? Note that many of the foreign cars are built in the USA now and have great quality, so it has to be design, materials and assembly line organization and execution, not the American workers![/QUOTE]

I don't believe the Japanese are doing as well as North American car manufacturers. Toyota has recalled more vehicles than they have built in the last year! Give me a GM product every time! The service I have received at Saturn has also been excellent.

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
techlord
techlord is on a distinguished road

i heard the sun roof model outlooks have waterleaks is this true

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techlord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techlord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #19
leobg
leobg is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlord View Post
i heard the sun roof model outlooks have waterleaks is this true
oh yes - ask me (and many others here on this forum!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leobg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leobg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leobg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
95jive
95jive is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

haha that sucks man. Read my signature. LOL unless its old school its something else with a Saturn emblem on it.

08' Saturn? No such thing. You must mean Opel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95jive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95jive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95jive is offline   Reply With Quote