SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Wires to the starter

I put my starter in my car and I hook up the positive red battery cable and the alternator cable to the solenoid. I connected the 2 ground wires and the one wire going to the side of the solenoid and when I tried to start my car the starter just spins. I was wondering if I got the wires mixed up? Does the brown wire connect to the solenoid on the side? And are the 2 tan wires both grounds?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Wires to the starter

two wires on the left side get bolted to the block via a 10mm screw up the the left of the starter below the #4 intake runner.

The 3rd wire (brown one) goes to the starter on the 10mm nut (the nut the red cable is NOT attached to, but to the left of it). This is the actual cable that runs from the ignition switch.

The starter is spinning but is not being pushed foward. Get these wires in place and you should be good to go.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ob8XTkphH6U

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
randall2365
randall2365 is on a distinguished road

brown goes too the starter above the starter the two wires bolt to the block

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randall2365's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randall2365 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randall2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
randall2365
randall2365 is on a distinguished road

8mm sosket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randall2365's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randall2365 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randall2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Another question remains.

Why were those two grounds removed in the first place? They're not too easy to get to with the engine in the car.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I removed the wires because I pulled out the engine and trans..Anyways thats how I had the wires hooked up at first.. The 2 grounds bolted down, and the brown wire to the solenoid, and when I try to start the car it just spins, why doesn't the gear kick in? What could be the problem?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Leave the two brown wires OFF for now. They are confusing you with the starter wiring altogether. The starter needs the battery cable and the alternator cable together on the LARGE solenoid terminal. The START wire from the ignition switch is probably the purple wire (the wire on the right side of the picture) that belongs to the small solenoid terminal.

The starter body itself is providing the electrical ground for the starter motor and the solenoid by design. No ground wires are ever attached to any terminal on a starter.

With this properly wired you should have your starter working as it was supposed to. Once the starter wiring is correct go back and figure out what the two brown wires do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The starter body itself is providing the electrical ground for the starter motor and the solenoid by design. No ground wires are ever attached to any terminal on a starter.
But the starter body grounds the starter to the BLOCK. If the block isn't grounded to the BODY (and thus back to the negative post of the BATTERY), it's still a bad circuit. Those two brown ground wires provide that block-to-body ground, AFAIK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, you're correct but the wires were attached to the solenoid that's supposed to have only a switched START signal or positive battery power on the other side of the solenoid terminals. No grounds correct? I believe turbobuick33 is confusing the starter terminals for ground connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The two brown wires on the back of the block are the PCM ground and the O2 sensor ground. Without them properly connected you are going to have some strange symptoms like you have never seen before. The starter solenoid is grounded through the frame to the block. If it spun but did not roll the engine then the cheap, foreign made, low quality pinion clutch is no good out of the box, the clutch is slipping. Off with it and back to where it came from for another try. It will be much easier to reattach the PCM/O2S grounds with the starter off of the engine also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

WOAH those little brown wires are grounds but they would never be big enough for the starter to pull all those amps through i think they are to ground something else to the engine not to ground the engine

you have a ground wire from your battery that bolts to tranny to engine bolt
that grounds both of them

the starter grounds through the block

also if the starter is spinning when you crank it you have the solenoid hooked up right it isn't pushing forward to engage the starter gear with the flywheel

unless you did something weird and bypassed the solenoid (but then it would run anytime the battery was connected)
its either:
a bad solenoid(most likely)
really bad wiring (less likely)
or a few teeth missing right there or the fly wheel (least likely)

you can try rebuilding the solenoid, buy a new solenoid, or buy a new starter

also before you go through that take the starter out use some jumper cables
to connect it and use a jumper to engage the solenoid ( or get it tested at an auto parts store)

those little brown ground wires get bolted just under the intake on the drivers side

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me.theuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

D'OH, my bad about the gauge of those ground wires (note to self: review the pics...). But why would there be a ground under the hood for the PCM, which is in the cabin? And doesn't the O2 sensor ground through its mounting to the exhaust manifold?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I think it is the rear O2 sensor ground. Two wires for heat and 2 wires for the sensor, one to the PCM for signal and ground the other. The PCM ground to the block is for all of the sensors that are one wire, oil pressure, knock, front O2 etc. If there was not a continuation of the ground path to the block directly from the PCM any ground loop voltage developed on the battery ground system would be impressed on the signal voltage from the sensor(s). Its mostly to have a nice clean sensor output signal. Its one of those hidden things you look at right after you decide there is no real answer to the behavior you are looking at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I think it is the rear O2 sensor ground.
1992 SL2 ≠rear O2 sensor.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

Those two brown wires are indeed for the the PCM (only),as stated they go to another point just above the starter ,you can access the mounting stub ,through, between the fuel line support plate and the back of engine.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I have an extra starter so I bolted it and still does the same thing when I try to start the car, it just spins I looked over the wires and I have all the grounds bolted and they are clean..The flywheel I bought is brand new and it is the same as the oem and I know there is no way I could of installed it backwards, it just goes one way..What else could the problem be?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I brought the starter to autozone and it tested good, the gear pops out, so it looks like it is the flywheel? Which I don't understand why? The flywheel I bought is the same as the OEM..Here is a pic of the flywheel, did I bolt it the right way?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the starter spins when the key is twisted to the crank position then the wiring is correct. The starter pinion is not hitting the ring gear as you would surely hear the racket. The pinion has to come out for the motor to run as the switch is inside the back of the solenoid. So, the fun starts. Measure from the starter mounting face to the ring gear side closest to the transmission. Now, take a small screw driver and stick it under the edge of the pinion gear and measure from the mounting face to the far side of the pinion gear. this is the engagement depth of the starter. compare the two measurements. Does the pinion project far enough to engage with the fly wheel? If it passes that test then the next is to see if the starter pinion will mesh with the ring gear. Measure from the inside of the starter mounting hole to the peak of the ring gear tooth. looking at the starter face measure from the edge to the pinion gear root. Will it engage? It is hard to believe that he starter is turning in the wrong direction but check it of of the car. A bad pinion clutch is a possible failure as they are not that uncommon. Do you know that the spare starter is actually capable of starting a car? The flywheel looks good in the picture by the way.

When AZ tested it all they did was spin it up and observe that the pinion extended right? You still do not know if the pinion clutch is slipping or not. Normally they are tested before the starter is assembled by trying to turn them in both directions. If the clutch is shot it will slip. I have seen the failure rate from the rebuilder parts from south of the border 15 years ago running about 25% right out of the box.

There are ways to check the pinion clutch after the starter is either assembled or on the car but its not real safe.

Last edited by OldNuc; 07-16-2008 at 08:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

By any chance are you changing from an automatic transmission to a manual transmission? for the 92 there are different starters for the AT and MT.

Looks like it is a different size motor but the pinion is the same. Basically either one should crank the manual trans engine.

Last edited by OldNuc; 07-16-2008 at 08:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

The car is originally a manual trans

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!