SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
veloracer
veloracer is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 2002 SL2 starter won't engage

Have a 2002 SL2 automatic with 250,000 miles. everything has been great. Today moved the car to wash it, started fine, ran fine. After the wash, it would not turn over, the battery is fully charged, cables are clean, I hear the relays clicking under the dash, radio, door chimes, gauges... all work. just no turning over to start. Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to veloracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help veloracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
veloracer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 starter won't engage

Open the hood and stick your head out the window. Can you hear the starter solenoid click when you turn the key. Turn off the radio and put on the seat belt so the chime does not mask the attempted start. Turn on the headlights and try to crank it while someone looks at the headlights, do the dim or go out? They should not from your description but it is a simple check. Try with the transmission in Neutral as well as Park.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Mine just did the same exact thing this last week bfore going on a whitewater rafting excursion......The noid would engage but not spin the starter. Is that what urs is doing? You can always yank it off and have advanced test it....

Mine, werked fine some starts and others it would click. I took it to advanced and it werked FINE off the car. But when I put it back on and drove it and it got hot it crapped out that day.

And Mine only had excatly 100K on it.......

Replaced starter.

No problems

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

250k on the original starter? Seems like its time for a replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Well , if it clicks then itst the starter. But, if not then it is some nebulous loss of continuity between the high side of the solenoid and the battery with the key in crank. I hope its the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

Have you tried starting it in Neutral instead of Park? It may be the dreaded Neutral Safety Switch.

Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captsam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

If it were the NSS, there wouldn't be a click at the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think we are awaiting the OP to confirm or deny the existence of a "click" from the starter. The OP did confirm relay actuation in side the car so we are part way to the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
veloracer
veloracer is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Alright, I confirmed the starter click, decided to pull the starter, took it to Advance, they said it was junk, got the new one installed.... I can here it whirr but it doesn't engage the flywheel. The purple wire fitting was to small for the new stud on the starter so I made it bigger a bit. Did I hook up something wrong? I watched Richpin's videos. I changed the CPS while I was in there too, got a code on that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to veloracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help veloracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
veloracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It doesn't seem possible to mount a starter wrong unless you were given the wrong starter to begin with. Did the replacement fit securely into the opening with no spaces left between the starter housing and the engine frame? The starter gear is in a retracted position but when the starter solenoid engages with a loud clicking sound before the sound of the spinning starter motor, the solenoid pulls the starter gear out from its retracted position into precise alignment with the flywheel on the engine a moment before the starter begins to turn at high speed. Any misalignment during the bolt on procedure can ruin a starter upon engagement. Have a close look again and if everything was the exact reverse of removal then you have a brand new faulty starter!? You couldn't have wired it wrong; one large RED and one small RED cable together on the large starter solenoid terminal, the small purple wire to a small spaded terminal. Perhaps the hint is the stud that isn't supposed to be there but a spade lug for the purple terminal to slip onto. All connections are on the solenoid terminals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Either the wrong starter or a bad one right out of the box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Sara26
Sara26 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I have a little over 84000 miles on my 2000 sl2 and my starter just went out. It wouldnt start one afternoon so we jiggled the battery cables and it started so I took it in. The shop I took it to told me my car didnt have enough miles on it to be the starter...not two weeks later the thing when out and stranded me across town.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sara26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sara26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sara26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloracer View Post
Alright, I confirmed the starter click, decided to pull the starter, took it to Advance, they said it was junk, got the new one installed.... I can here it whirr but it doesn't engage the flywheel. The purple wire fitting was to small for the new stud on the starter so I made it bigger a bit. Did I hook up something wrong? I watched Richpin's videos. I changed the CPS while I was in there too, got a code on that.
You actually got a CPS code???? That's like getting an ECTS code. It doesn't happen. Are you certain it wasn't a code for the camshaft position sensor? That would be a P0340 or P0341. The CPS is a crankshaft position sensor. These cars don't actually have a camshaft position sensor. Those codes usually mean it's time for plugs and wires.

As for your starter, make sure it's seated properly. If it is, take it back.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote