SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Thanks for Everything

Hey all. I originally bought the Saturn as a stop gap due to the insurance taking so long to settle after my '06 WRX was totalled. I liked the SC2 so much I decided to keep it for a bit and take my time replacing the WRX. After 7 months I finally replaced it with an '06 Mustang GT, and tonight I just sold the '02 SC2. I have to admit I'll miss the little car. Saturn really got it right with the S-Series. It's a shame they shelved it.

This place was a great source of information, and I really appreciate all who have added to that. Take care and good luck with your Saturn passion.

1999 Saturn SL2 automatic (DC Commuter, 92k miles)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (toy and sometimes commuter, 18k miles)
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed (bad weather commuter, 189k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Thanks for Everything

Good luck with the Mustang. My first car was a 67 so I have a special place in my heart for Stangs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Good luck with your Mustang. My first car was a 65 Mustang. A lot has changed since then. Hope there is a nice Mustang forum in your future. My only concern of buying a non-Saturn is missing this forum. But, that probably will not be for a while. It may take a while for the wheels to fall off my S-Series (knock on wood).

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Heh. My first car was a '67 Mustang. I replaced my 95 SC2 with an '89 LX 5.0 notchback 5sp (which was stolen about a year later...sigh). Now I'm driving a Hemi Charger.

Good luck with the stang.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
RobertJ

1999 SL2

Well, after all of these years I am back! I just closed the deal on a '98 SL2 with only 85k miles on it. I bought the car from a girl that inherited from her grandmother. It has been lovingly taken care of and looks fantastic. I moved to DC a couple of years ago, and am tired of my manual transmission vehicles. An automatic commuter will be just what in need in this DC traffic. I can't wait to get to work on it. The first thing I'm going to do is change the transmission fluid and filter and look it over really good.

I'm excited to be active on this forum again, because I always thought this place rocked. As I get closer to retirement (only 7 and a half year left!) I refuse to buy a new car. I am so lucky that I found such a gem that will probably last me the rest of my working life. I'm off to search the forum now for a procedure on the transmission! Thanks all.

p.s. Need to update my signature! It's been a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

They always come back. Nice to see you picked up a nice commuter car. I currently have 6 in the yard. 94 SW2, 97 SW2 96SC2 and 2 95 SC2s and my 92 SC2

1992 SC
1995 SC2
1994 SW2
1997 SW2
others in my yard

1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
RobertJ

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny95sl2 View Post
They always come back. Nice to see you picked up a nice commuter car. I currently have 6 in the yard. 94 SW2, 97 SW2 96SC2 and 2 95 SC2s and my 92 SC2
For people that appreciate a well made simple automobile it's hard not to have Saturn in the back of your mind. The S-Series will always be one of my favorite vehicles in the practical category!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

WELCOME BACK!

you caught the fever. i have 2 and im having issues parting with one!!!

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
RobertJ

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87z16 View Post
WELCOME BACK!

you caught the fever. i have 2 and im having issues parting with one!!!
Thank you! It is a fever. I will drive one as long as I possibly can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Slow day at work, so I was browsing around.

I'm fairly close to retiring as well, but not planning on it yet. Bought my SL2 about 6~7 years ago, and excluding gas, oil, plugs, filters, I think I am at less than $2,500 - including the sales tax and cost of purchase.

Doesn't include the plates/tabs or insurance, but those are pretty cheap, too. I might treat myself to a brand new car after I retire, but in the meantime, I'm loving how cheap this thing is to own and operate

And I park wherever I want with no fear of dings

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
RobertJ

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
And I park wherever I want with no fear of dings
Definitely a big plus!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

RobertJ, back in 7-11-08 when you first opened this thread, you mentioned buying an '06 Mustang but never updated your sig to reflect it. Now with a new/used Saturn, did you keep the Mustang or sell/trade it? I'd like to think Saturnfans members may be more mature about sharing valuable maintenance, diagnostics and troubleshooting info so anyone joining (or not) can find the wealth of free info related to Saturns and their problems to save on repair costs with diy methods before resorting to dealers or repair shops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
RobertJ

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
RobertJ, back in 7-11-08 when you first opened this thread, you mentioned buying an '06 Mustang but never updated your sig to reflect it. Now with a new/used Saturn, did you keep the Mustang or sell/trade it? I'd like to think Saturnfans members may be more mature about sharing valuable maintenance, diagnostics and troubleshooting info so anyone joining (or not) can find the wealth of free info related to Saturns and their problems to save on repair costs with diy methods before resorting to dealers or repair shops.
I sold the Mustang when I moved to Texas and ended up with a 90 a day mile commute, but while I had it I learned a lot about the 3 valve 4.6 V-8 while I owned that car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!