SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default The Real Deal: Jill Lajdziak Addresses Rumors Surrounding the Next-Generation Aura De

A new story entry has been added:

The Real Deal: Jill Lajdziak Addresses Rumors Surrounding the Next-Generation Aura Delay

Quote:
If you've been following some of the drama surrounding Saturn over the past couple of weeks, it's very likely you have some questions about the status of the brand's next-generation Aura midsize sports sedan. Depending on your sources, the redesigned car has either been put on hold, shelved, or scrapped all together.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY
Default Re: The Real Deal: Jill Lajdziak Addresses Rumors Surrounding the Next-Generation Aur

My god, five to six years . I'm not suggesting the current car is long in the tooth or non-competitive, but I fear this means GM will just let the car wither along with minimal changes until it is (Pontiac G6 anyone?). If there is a decent mid-cycle update, say for 2010, then the car will be fine until its replacement, but given GM's habits in recent years, I doubt an MCE will happen. When is GM going to rededicate itself to cars again, firing on all cylinders???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
NSAP
NSAP is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The Real Deal: Jill Lajdziak Addresses Rumors Surrounding the Next-Generation Aur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive View Post
My god, five to six years . I'm not suggesting the current car is long in the tooth or non-competitive, but I fear this means GM will just let the car wither along with minimal changes until it is (Pontiac G6 anyone?). If there is a decent mid-cycle update, say for 2010, then the car will be fine until its replacement, but given GM's habits in recent years, I doubt an MCE will happen. When is GM going to rededicate itself to cars again, firing on all cylinders???
Well the whole reason behind the delay has been a "lack of resources" for the program and to modify the fuel economy of the new car (waiting for HCCI, BAS+, etc). So basically GM is pinching the pennies tight on product programs due to their financial crunch.

Don't let the PR fluff confuse though. There are legitimate reasons as to why they "adjusted" their business case on the program.

Administrator-- GMInsidenews
Future Saturn Owner??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NSAP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NSAP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NSAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: The Real Deal: Jill Lajdziak Addresses Rumors Surrounding the Next-Generation Aur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive View Post
If there is a decent mid-cycle update, say for 2010, then the car will be fine until its replacement, but given GM's habits in recent years, I doubt an MCE will happen.
Saturn has traditionally done a much better than the other GM brands when it comes to continuously updating and improving their models year-over-year. I would expect some type of MCE before the all-new Aura appears. Most of the '09 Saturns are getting pretty significant updates. If I'm remembering correctly, I think the previous-generation Vue was the last Saturn to receive MCE treatment in 2005 (as a 2006 model) -- that was a rather substantial update, and like I said above, I would expect the same for the Aura.

I'm going to be optimistic until I see a reason to think otherwise.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAP View Post
Don't let the PR fluff confuse though. There are legitimate reasons as to why they "adjusted" their business case on the program.
Carmakers always have legitimate reasons for the way they conduct their business. Most consumers however, don't care. GM is always able to provide a million reasons why something can't be done. Those of us who understand the auto business can understand some of those reasons. But reversing public perception of GM as a peddler of stale, non-innovative products (especially in small and midsize cars) depends on a full line-up of fresh, frequently updated products. Any "reasons" preventing that from happening just provide another excuse to look elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

GM stock is at something like a 50 year low, and it is living off its cash reserves and unless sales make a magical rebound soon, GM will need to raise more cash to pay bills and wages ... they can only extend loans, bonds, etc. only so far ... they need to do something before the end of 2009. Cutting expenditures and selling off assets are its logical options to keep its head above water.

Gm has already announced closure of (4) truck plants. Buick, GMC, Hummer, and Saturn are among the GM entities being considered for "fix / sell / close" actions. In light of that, it's no surprise that non-critical programs will be delayed.

As for vehicle programs, expect more imports of smaller cars (perhaps more re-badged Opels?), and expect the engineering focus to be on hybrid and similar alternate energy vehicles ... whatever sells and provides critical cash flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: The Real Deal: Jill Lajdziak Addresses Rumors Surrounding the Next-Generation Aur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Saturn has traditionally done a much better than the other GM brands when it comes to continuously updating and improving their models year-over-year. I would expect some type of MCE before the all-new Aura appears. Most of the '09 Saturns are getting pretty significant updates. If I'm remembering correctly, I think the previous-generation Vue was the last Saturn to receive MCE treatment in 2005 (as a 2006 model) -- that was a rather substantial update, and like I said above, I would expect the same for the Aura.

I'm going to be optimistic until I see a reason to think otherwise.

Charlie
I hope you're correct on this, Charlie. If a new Aura isn't coming out until 2012-13, then the current Aura will definitely need a MCE for 2010. And not just some minor tweaking and trim pieces, either. Unfortunately I recall that Saturn once had a damn fine midsize car before the Aura, and they let that one wither on the vine, allowing it to go from highly competitive to automotive punchline.

I hope this isn't the L-Series all over again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I said from day one GM just doesn't have the money. GM needs to be very careful where they spend their money. Jill Lajdziak's comments only represents what GM wants the public to believe.

Do you put money in a division that may possibly shut down?

Either GM evolves to the current economic conditions, or wait hoping the economy loosens up enough that they can make money in their current condition.

IMO GM will be doing a combination of the two scenarios to be safe. They will not totally close the book on the models that made money for them in the past.

We'll be seeing some radical changes at GM as long as the dollar is weak and oil prices remain high. GM and our economy cannot continue in it's present form.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I must be missing something because I see the Aura as a very competitive product. This car was introduced in ’07 and won car of the year. I would love to influence some minor changes to it but nothing that would require a new platform to keep it competitive with what is currently, or will soon, be in the marketplace as potential alternatives.

As the quote from Jill says the changes already made for ’09 make it the fuel economy leader and the adjustment to the ordering options like an XR with the 4cyl and six speed are icing on the cake. At current gas prices I will be surprised if Fairfax does not add overtime…

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Kooler King
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreed View Post
I must be missing something because I see the Aura as a very competitive product. This car was introduced in ’07 and won car of the year. I would love to influence some minor changes to it but nothing that would require a new platform to keep it competitive with what is currently, or will soon, be in the marketplace as potential alternatives.

As the quote from Jill says the changes already made for ’09 make it the fuel economy leader and the adjustment to the ordering options like an XR with the 4cyl and six speed are icing on the cake. At current gas prices I will be surprised if Fairfax does not add overtime…

IMO, Saturn is not lacking for a good product, rather their "soft-sell" marketing and limited number of dealer outlets puts them at a competetive disadvantage relative to the more agressive brands, such as Chevrolet ... the new Malibu, also built on the Epsilon II platform, is a clone of the Aura. In June, our local Saturn dealer had a lot full of Auras despite a $2000 rebate incentive being in effect ... Malibu had no rebate.

The last thing I want to see / hear on TV is some annoying fat guy yelling "come on down to our Saturn lot ... it's HUUUUGE!" ... but that may be what it takes to provide the Saturn brand a sales shot-in-the-arm??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I am seing much more saturn commercials on canadian cable tv in the last week or so. They advertize Astra and a PR about the "new" car line-up .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
thewolf
thewolf is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
The last thing I want to see / hear on TV is some annoying fat guy yelling "come on down to our Saturn lot ... it's HUUUUGE!" ... but that may be what it takes to provide the Saturn brand a sales shot-in-the-arm??
Oh, I love the Fuccillo commercials. Do you think he is really fat?? Maybe he is just big-boned.

One thing I will say about him, he knows how to sell cars. Saturn could use a dealer like him...........................

Live and learn...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Good. I'm glad to hear this. I feel that killing the current Aura in '10 would be much too early for a car that has taken so long (and continues) to get on it's feet.

I believe and hope the Aura will be back in the spotlight once again in '09.

Also, this will give more time to refine the next gen Aura to make it a real show stopper. Hopefully during this time GM doesn't decide to change anything. I like what I'm seeing so far, and this may just be my next car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Oh, I love the Fuccillo commercials. Do you think he is really fat?? Maybe he is just big-boned.

One thing I will say about him, he knows how to sell cars. Saturn could use a dealer like him...........................
Man, I can't stand Fuccillo commercials.. Only because HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEE!!!!!!!!@#&* Get's SO old, SO fast... But, he does get attention.

Wolf, also, a few of us want to set up a Buffalo/WNY Saturn meet, you in if we do it?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

again, where is the wagon that was supposed to be here for '09?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post

Man, I can't stand Fuccillo commercials.. Only because HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEE!!!!!!!!@#&* Get's SO old, SO fast... But, he does get attention.

Wolf, also, a few of us want to set up a Buffalo/WNY Saturn meet, you in if we do it?
I can't see how they would sell any cars with those commercials! HORRIBLE! I change the channel everytime they come on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
I can't see how they would sell any cars with those commercials! HORRIBLE! I change the channel everytime they come on.
Oh believe me....... I would NOT. Sorry Billy Fuccillo, tough luck.

Does he have dealers in Canada too? I know a lot of our dealers near us are selling to you Canadian Customers. Saves a couple thousand right?

I like when Canadians come visit.. Like the accent. haha. Canadians always seem to be very nice.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

This Fuccillo guy sounds like Rosen in my area. "Rosen Rosen Rosen, Rosen Rosen Rosen, Where you'll save a fist full of dollars!" He does a weekly "Video Car Lot" show.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
Kooler King
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

The "huuuge" dude has a chain of dealerships in NY from Albany to Buffalo and most points between. I have heard that he has dealerships in other states as well, but goes by a different name.

It's not like the guy wastes a lot of money on production time for his commercials ... most are shot in the same place and he uses generic phrases so they can play in multiple markets; e.g. "go team in the big game", "this is for the guys at the ... uh uh uh factory, you know who you are, come on down for a deal", etc. He's so busy making commercials, he doesn't bother with second takes when he flubs them, and it shows ... he had one a couple years ago where he flubbed his line and followed with, "I'm so excited at these huge deals I pee'd my pants", while he pointed at a puddle in the dealership parking lot. Thankfully the station had the sense to pull that ad after only running it 2 or 3 times ...

Would I ever buy a Saturn from such a maniac? Not in this lifetime.

Well, at least he's not Dan Creed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #19
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The worst we have around here is "Rockin' Rick" from the Victory Toyota/Honda stores. They've got all the "hard to find" cars you've been looking for. He then proceeds to promote the advanced features on the vehicles behind him, like 4 doors, air conditioning, automatic transmissions, and even CD players. It's apparently very difficult to find cars like that around here.

I think the only reason someone would watch the commercials is for the skanky, wannabe trophy wife chick, Austin, that "interviews" him.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #20
thewolf
thewolf is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post
Let me know, that could be interesting................

Live and learn...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote