SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
coltwarrior
coltwarrior is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default 1999 SL2 coil pack/ignition module

Hi all! I have a 1999 SL2 with 276475 miles. Trying to diagnose a problem with poor fuel economy. Have replaced ECTS,IAT,EGR valve/soleniod,O2 sensor on manifold. Replaced plugs and wires. Checked resistance across coil pack towers, 8.43 and 8.45 respectively. No noticeable corrosion on towers. Looks like original setup. Have noticed that the bottom two bolts on coil pack is missing. Do I need to replace coil pack and/or module? And also got a fluctuating reading from downstream O2 sensor by catalytic convertor. I drive 2250 miles a week and have a mpg of 33-35 this time last year. Only getting 27-29 now. I change oil and filter tow times a month and air filter every 12000 miles. Going to a K/N filter asap! I change tranny fluid every 30000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coltwarrior's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coltwarrior reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coltwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 1999 SL2 coil pack/ignition module

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltwarrior View Post
Have noticed that the bottom two bolts on coil pack is missing. Do I need to replace coil pack and/or module?
-Find new/used bolts.

-What kind of plugs are you using?

-OEM or aftermarket ECTS?

-Condition of ECTS connector?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
coltwarrior

1999 SL2

I used an after market ECTS, brass tip, the connectors looked to be in good shape. The plugs are autolite gapped at .040

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help coltwarrior reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
coltwarrior

1999 SL2

I am also recieving codes 340 and 341....ignition mod problem or poor conection?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

You didn't mention replacing/checking the PCV.

Just out of curiosity, how did you check your O2 sensor?

Melissa_M

1999 SL2 MANUAL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
TomM96
Advanced Member
TomM96 is on a distinguished road

The ignition may be weak. Wolfman suggested good clean connections to coilpack, see photo : http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...cat/500/page/1

Part of the concern is good ground/heat-transfer(?) to block mtg surface.

Another item to check is whether the engine creates any compression in the cylinders , as without compression the efficiency/power drops.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

As Low Saturn install replacement coil pack bolts.

You didn't say if you replaced the thermostat or not.

The rear O2 sensor should give some fluctuation in the readings but it certainly should not follow the front sensor readings.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
As Low Saturn install replacement coil pack bolts.
But what no one has mentioned (and sometimes you gotta be specific) is that THIS is one of the major causes of your running problems. Most certainly THE cause of your 340/341.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
But what no one has mentioned (and sometimes you gotta be specific) is that THIS is one of the major causes of your running problems. Most certainly THE cause of your 340/341.
Yep. Proper grounding for the coil packs is done through the bolts to the caes.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
coltwarrior

1999 SL2

OK ...an update to my problem....I cleaned coil packs and ICM and mounting surface on tranny...Thanks Wolfman, that cleared the 340/341 codes. I have changed out PCV valve, EGR valve/solenoid, map sensor in addition to other senors. Had to order my K & N air filter as all the auto parts stores here in Indy,Terre Haute and Vincennes did not carry and would have to order. Found air filter at Anythingauto for 37.95 with free shipping. will be here in 4-5 days. I really don't want to overinflate my tires as it would be counter productive for mpg versus wear and tear. I put on 435 miles a day 5 days a week. Think i will stay with 32 psi all around and rotate every other week. I have noticed that since Dec of 2007 that I have consistently gotten 28-29 mpg and nothing I try is improving that. I drive a consistent 65 mph on highway and speed limits in city while making deliveries. No jack rabbit starting/stopping and I try to keep rpms down and let tranny work for me.....unless a young whipper snapper in a Honda comes by and revs his engine...then he eats my dust! (LOL) Saw some other posts that since the addition of 10% ethanoll in the gas my mileage this time last year was 33/32 mpg with an occansional 35 in there and like i said since DEC 2007 it has stayed around 28-29 mpg. Guess I have to live with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!