SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Relighting the Saturn Rocket: Where to find an entry-level car?

Relighting the Saturn Rocket: Where to find an entry-level car?

By Todd Lassa
Motor Trend

Too few car buyers know, or care, what General Motors's import-fighting division, Saturn, has become. Efforts to move it slightly upmarket haven't worked so well, with the midsize Aura and crossover Outlook foundering in the market even as siblings like the Chevy Malibu and the Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia succeed.

Then there's the Astra compact, a car far superior to the Ion it marginally replaced. It's also significantly more expensive to both buyers and GM (Opel builds it in Ghent, Belgium), and it's not selling, either. Plus, Opel/Vauxhall has a new Astra coming for 2010, just three model years into the Saturn version. So it's time for a new entry-level Saturn.

Enter the second-generation Meriva, a kind of tall hatchback/MPV on the Gamma small-car platform (which it shares with the Corsa hatchback). GM previewed the next Meriva, due in Europe by next year, with a concept at Geneva last winter that featured production-ready suicide doors with a solid B-pillar.

If Saturn chooses the Meriva as an Astra replacement -- and why wouldn't it? -- the car would further distance Saturn from GM's other, more conventional North American division with a model that should appeal to import car intenders, of which there apparently aren't as many as GM had thought.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Relighting the Saturn Rocket: Where to find an entry-level car?

Thanks for the read, BobbyP.

While Lassa's point about the decision to move Saturn upscale not paying immediate dividends is spot-on, Meriva is more likely to complement Astra than replace it.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Where Saturn fails, its twins thrive. Hmmm, cliched by now. Saturn does not have the retailer numbers. If there were just as many Saturn dealers as Chevy things would change. I always smile though when I see a vehicle from the all new line up. Because I know the person driving had to drive at least 45 minutes to the nearest dealer. But it is all possible they had the car before living here, the Groton-New London Naval Submarine base is right down the road. Most of the time though the people don't look to be still in the service.

I see the same white Outlook almost everyday, and there's only one SKY around that I have seen. Kind of tempted to knock on this persons front door and ask for a spin. I have the only AURA around here that I know of. There is another one but a couple from Florida drive that one, so that doesn't really count. Can't remember but I think I have seen 1 or 2 VUEs from the current line-up.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wonder if they still have the tooling and robot software lying around from the "S" series. Bet a car that got 40 mpg hwy (SL) and sold for under $11k, would be flying out of the showrooms about now...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

It will come out in time for GM to close up Saturn.
At the Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Chevrolet, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda dealer.
The Astra is not an entry level car. It's a compact car. A small car with the same features and quality as all other Saturns. Saturn doesn't sell entry level cars.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Metgol why are you looking for and counting Saturns when you can routinely watch submarines coming into and going out of port? I routinely see at least a hundred different Saturns every day including many new VUEs, Outlooks and Auras but I rarely get a chance to see any submarines, unless I drive at least 5 to 6 hours to do so. Saturn isn't dying by my observations, you are just in the wrong place to see a lot of them as much as I am to see subs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
It's a compact car. A small car with the same features and quality as all other Saturns. Saturn doesn't sell entry level cars.
At least not anymore....

Also, I don't know where Metgol is in CT, but there are a number of Saturn dealers near me (which is odd because I know there aren't many in general). Milford, Fairfield, Danbury, Watertown, White Plains. The first 3 are less than 30 minutes and the last 2 are within 45 minutes.

Not that I would buy another Saturn....but I'm just sayin'.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
At least not anymore....

Also, I don't know where Metgol is in CT, but there are a number of Saturn dealers near me (which is odd because I know there aren't many in general). Milford, Fairfield, Danbury, Watertown, White Plains. The first 3 are less than 30 minutes and the last 2 are within 45 minutes.

Not that I would buy another Saturn....but I'm just sayin'.

Cheers,
I'm in Poughkeepsie so Danbury and White Plains are about an hour for me. I've been to Danbury to look at cars and general shopping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
I'm in Poughkeepsie so Danbury and White Plains are about an hour for me. I've been to Danbury to look at cars and general shopping.
Look on the bright side...yer closer to the Roscoe Diner.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Look on the bright side...yer closer to the Roscoe Diner.

Cheers,
Or the Dutchess Diner on South Road...

http://dutchessdiner.com/

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Or the Dutchess Diner on South Road...

http://dutchessdiner.com/
The Dutchess is about a mile and a half away from me. I go there often.
I've never been to the Roscoe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!