SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
pierangler
pierangler is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default 93 SL2 Loud Rattling Sound and Vibration

My 93 SL2 (140,000 miles on it) has begun making a loud rattling sound and a vibration that seems to be coming from beneath the passenger side floor. It does not make it when the engine is idling - only when the engine is accellerating. I believe that it may be coming from the catalytic converter. When I hit it with my fist, I can hear something rattling around inside of it. Could this be my problem? How hard is it to replace? How much would it cost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierangler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierangler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierangler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
LeeWee76
LeeWee76 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC
Default Re: 93 SL2 Loud Rattling Sound and Vibration

Have you listened to your exhaust while raising the idle? My Catalytic Converter was making a similar noise. I replaced it and the noise stopped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LeeWee76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LeeWee76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LeeWee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Also look at the muffler strap; if it has failed, the exhaust will be sitting on the rear suspension cross-member, and will make a lot of rattling noise from approximately the location you report.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
pierangler

1993 SL2

I checked the muffler for loose straps and the heat shield. They seemed to be OK and secure. I did take a look at the upper motor mount and found it to be severely worn. There was no rubber cushion left in the mount. So, I think that may be the source of the noise and vibration. I'll have to search the site to learn how to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierangler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
pierangler

1993 SL2

I ended up replacing the top motor mount. I was able to stick my hand through the mount - that was the source of all of the noise and vibration. I bought the motor mount off of eBay for $20 plus $10 shipping and it was a perfect fit - it took me about 20 minutes to do the job. Rich Pin's You Tube video was a great help. So, all is well with my Saturn again. Thanks everyone for their help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!