SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default '09 Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid Will be the World's Most Fuel Efficient V6 Sport-Utility

A new story entry has been added:

'09 Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid Will be the World's Most Fuel Efficient V6 Sport-Utility

Quote:
The all-new 2009 Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid, the first front-wheel-drive compact SUV in the world powered by General Motors' two-mode hybrid technology, is designed for customers who want the outstanding fuel savings of an advanced hybrid and the full power and towing capability of an SUV.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
jlalill
jlalill is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
Default Re: '09 Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid Will be the World's Most Fuel Efficient V6 Sport-Uti

why not put the 'two mode' on the 4 cylinder model also and get really great fuel economy?

Am i missing something here?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlalill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlalill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlalill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
lithous
lithous is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: '09 Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid Will be the World's Most Fuel Efficient V6 Sport-Uti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlalill View Post
why not put the 'two mode' on the 4 cylinder model also and get really great fuel economy?

Am i missing something here?
Maybe when the vehicle is in the engine only mode a 4 cylinder is way under powered with the added weight of the two electric motors and other parts in the transmission area as well as the battery weight.

Toyota has had more time to shrink down / lighten up their parts. The GM two mode started out in buses then larger SUVs, etc. The system probably isn't as light as it could be yet.

Also, maybe it was easier to get a smoother shut off and turn on (which happens frequently with hybrids) with one engine over the other.

Anyway, all is speculation on my part.

I did read a point of view why GM used a larger V8 engine in the Tahoe two mode (I believe they used 6.0L instead of the standard 5.3L) and I think it had to do with how cylinder deactivation of the 5.3L in four cylinder mode wasn't powerful enough for hauling the heavy vehicle. The 6.0L didn't use that much more gas but had the power in four cylinder mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lithous's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lithous reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous View Post
Maybe when the vehicle is in the engine only mode a 4 cylinder is way under powered with the added weight of the two electric motors and other parts in the transmission area as well as the battery weight.

Toyota has had more time to shrink down / lighten up their parts. The GM two mode started out in buses then larger SUVs, etc. The system probably isn't as light as it could be yet.

Also, maybe it was easier to get a smoother shut off and turn on (which happens frequently with hybrids) with one engine over the other.

Anyway, all is speculation on my part.

I did read a point of view why GM used a larger V8 engine in the Tahoe two mode (I believe they used 6.0L instead of the standard 5.3L) and I think it had to do with how cylinder deactivation of the 5.3L in four cylinder mode wasn't powerful enough for hauling the heavy vehicle. The 6.0L didn't use that much more gas but had the power in four cylinder mode.
Probably right. I'd imagine the 4-banger would have trouble with all the added battery weight.

As for the Tahoe, I think they also went with the larger engine because I believe (not sure about this) that they use the Atkinson cycle on this hybrid, which involves peculiar timing of the valves opening and closing to differ the expansion ratio to the compression ratio. This yields better efficiency but reduces low-end torque, so they started off with the larger engine to account for this loss.

On a side note, the town where I work has some of GM's hybrid buses and they're pretty cool!

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

All fine and dandy but all of that is "marketing speak". What are the fuel economy numbers? Its great to say it will be the most fuel efficent SUV on the road but where is the proof?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
Probably right. I'd imagine the 4-banger would have trouble with all the added battery weight.

As for the Tahoe, I think they also went with the larger engine because I believe (not sure about this) that they use the Atkinson cycle on this hybrid, which involves peculiar timing of the valves opening and closing to differ the expansion ratio to the compression ratio. This yields better efficiency but reduces low-end torque, so they started off with the larger engine to account for this loss.
That sounds like a Sterling idea ... they Otto try that in other platforms ... maybe GM could regain its #1 Rankine in sales?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
+2 The 2.4L is just adequate to move the regular VUE.

I'm concerned that the two mode VUE may be priced too high, were very few people will buy them. Sales of the two mode Tahoe have been about 1k a month.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
That sounds like a Sterling idea ... they Otto try that in other platforms ... maybe GM could regain its #1 Rankine in sales?
GROAN...

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Island_Tom
Island_Tom is on a distinguished road

I like the direct injection, that should help. When they say 50% increase over current fuel economy, what does that add up to?

Saturns Past: 92 SL2, 95 SL2, 95 SC2
Present: 03 Vue, 06 ION3 2.4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Island_Tom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Island_Tom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Island_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote