SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would Having a Real-Time Fuel Mileage Display in Your Car Change Your Driving Habits?
Yes 38 65.52%
No 9 15.52%
Maybe 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #21
Seņor Ramos
Seņor Ramos is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
That's because it's due to a highly tuned/geared transmission. I also want to say that it's because it's got the mustang engine in it, but I'm not swearing to anything (unless you said Town Car instead )

that said, typically V8s in cars do get that kind of fuel economy (when it's used in a (pickup) truck, van, or (S)UV application you typically expect to see less.) I've read about a couple people getting ~30mpg in even a grand marquis , the secret is that the engine is running at 1700RPM and in a higher gear.

EDIT: If your Continental was a '95-2002 model, it had a 4.6L modular engine in it, which happens to be one of the Mustang engines (psst find a K&N kit for it, get one for a equivalent year Mustang if you can't find one for the continental. it should just fit right in ).. suprising that the oldschool Continentals had V8s that are over 6 and 7 liters
Not to hijack, but I love my dads' car. It's a 1996 with the 245BHP 4.6L V8 Mustang engine. I would LOVE to throw the intake on there, but my dad is a stock man. He likes things to look factory clean and unmodified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seņor Ramos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seņor Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #22
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Ramos View Post
Not to hijack, but I love my dads' car. It's a 1996 with the 245BHP 4.6L V8 Mustang engine.
That's what I thought. I know your dad wouldn't approve, but FYI, you'd need either the Mustang GT or Mustang SVT Cobra kit. I'd go with the later, since the '95-2002 continentals share the same engine as the SVT Cobra Mustang.

In the end though, I dunno if the Air intake sensor would've fit on or not.. it's one thing for something to fit all across the board, but you gotta take into consideration the vacuum (or whatever that little hose is that connects the engine to the intake (example is on the saturns, there's a hose that comes out of the part that says TWIN CAM 16 VALVE and hooks into the side of the intake) and/or the IAT sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Ramos View Post
I would LOVE to throw the intake on there, but my dad is a stock man. He likes things to look factory clean and unmodified.
Eh, guess in the end ya can't really blame him. after all, it's his car so..

EDIT: Now if only they made this for Saturns..

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #23
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

seeing that I probably drive city more then highway I'd probably see what to do and hopefully not be in a major hurry (ie get out of work late and trying to get to school on time). really I think I'd probably use it more for road tripping so I can try to keep filling up to a minimum especially if I'm not trying to keep up with others (going somewhere with more then just yourself). Realistically it may not be too viable for me unless I can get one super cheap as I probably wouldn't use it much unless its a built in feature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

if I saw good results probably

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
DynamicEntry
DynamicEntry is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

I think it would merely serve as a reminder to me to go easy on the gas, I could just as easily put a sticker on my dash reminding me of the price at the pumps, or something like that. Having said that, yeah, it would influence my driving habits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DynamicEntry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DynamicEntry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DynamicEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #26
AquaRegia
AquaRegia is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

My dad used to have Thunderbird that had this feature, and I loved it. I think it really gave me a better understanding of how cars use fuel.

Lately, I've made an effort to drive more gently (I coast more and brake less) and I've seen a significant increase in my gas mileage - from 35 to 38+ mpg in my SL2.

On my 3rd SL2, looking for my 2nd SW2!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AquaRegia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AquaRegia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AquaRegia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #27
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

YES!
similar to luvme2tymes, if I am on a trip, the odometer must read 250 miles or more by "half" a tank.

Instantaneous MPG readout should be standard on future cars. Period. Seeing 9 mpg during acceleration would be sobering to most people.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #28
In the Woods
In the Woods is on a distinguished road

Well now on the seven Saturn and this one is a joy 34.7 mpg first tank. I was watching the instant thing at first but after 18mpg on the 2006 Vue this is pure joy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to In the Woods's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help In the Woods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
In the Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
mharris73
mharris73 is on a distinguished road

Probably not. I drive the same way most days and am hard on my vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mharris73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mharris73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mharris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
Ninesvnsicks
Ninesvnsicks is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Yeah I think so because I would be able to see how I was doing in real time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ninesvnsicks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ninesvnsicks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ninesvnsicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #31
bilzhorse
bilzhorse is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I have one on my '95 Lincoln Town Car. While it is cool to look at it is also very distracting. I find myself constantly looking at it.

'95 SL-1, 5sp. All stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bilzhorse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bilzhorse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bilzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #32
WarWeasel
WarWeasel is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I've never liked the "instant" MPG displays, but my van has an Average MPG display that has certainly helped me monitor and change my habits and allowed me to eke out an extra half MPG. On that beast, that's a pretty significant chunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WarWeasel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WarWeasel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WarWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #33
shelliderpadad
shelliderpadad is on a distinguished road

no not really . What do u all say ... ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shelliderpadad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shelliderpadad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shelliderpadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
paulclawson3
paulclawson3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2001 SW2

YES, the more mpgs the more happy I am and the more money I save, for other things non-auto related!!! :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulclawson3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulclawson3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulclawson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #35
SaturnBro1
SaturnBro1 is on a distinguished road

Default Yes.

It most likely would have made me drive in a fuel efficient manner.

http://miautotimes.com/mi-dealer-ratings/michigan-gmc-dealers-ratings/
http://miautotimes.com/mi-dealer-ratings/michigan-buick-dealers-ratings/
http://www.mi-used-cars.miautotimes.com/preowned.asp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnBro1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnBro1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnBro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #36
motrhed79
motrhed79 is on a distinguished road

It gets good enough mileage as it is, I wouldn't pay attention to an economy gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to motrhed79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help motrhed79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
motrhed79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #37
henrow
henrow is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I'd have to say YES it would.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to henrow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help henrow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
henrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #38
Rover1
Rover1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Yes, it's nice to know your current mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rover1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rover1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #39
TrustyAutos
TrustyAutos is on a distinguished road

I've found that the younger generation almost treats it like a game ... 0.1 up there ... 0.2 down there.
It is like their minds can't be still!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrustyAutos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrustyAutos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrustyAutos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #40
CaffeinatdOne
CaffeinatdOne is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

I have a couple of Subarus with this feature. The 2007 has a digital readout and the 2102 has an analog gauge. Although the digital gives actual real time consumption rates and trip mileage in gallons, it is almost useless when driving because it's a digital display: blurring numbers mean nothing. The analog gauge on the Impreza is more useful simply because it's analog and gives me a graphic I can intuit.

I also have a DashCommand OBD-II unit that sends a blue tooth display to my iPad. With that I can create a real time instrument cluster displaying about anything I can think of, including fuel burn rates. Pretty neat trick. Do I use it for that? Nope. But I do like to track down error codes with it; I can move it from car to car and it works fine.

Cool, but not a functional driving aid. I already know when I'm hitting the gas pedal without a gauge telling me that.

2 Subarus
1 Saturn
4 Gravelys and a John Deere
It's not dead; it's just sleeping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaffeinatdOne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaffeinatdOne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaffeinatdOne is offline   Reply With Quote