SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would Having a Real-Time Fuel Mileage Display in Your Car Change Your Driving Habits?
Yes 38 65.52%
No 9 15.52%
Maybe 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Question Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

Would having a real-time fuel mileage display in your car encourage you to drive in a more fuel-efficient manner? Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

It might make me drive in a more fuel efficient manner
It would more likely make me crash my car

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1
Default Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

I mostly find that I only watch the Instant MPG calculator when I'm accellerating from a stop light or have the cruise set. I used to watch it all the time, but I found that it didn't improve my mileage all that much. I have a heavy foot regardless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I really enjoy an instant MPG readout.. I wish my Aura had one.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I've had them in several rental cars. Unfortunately all they've done is confirm that driving smoothly and steadily is the safest and most efficient way to drive. Its rather useless for fine tuning your driving style. Engine load and fuel flow would be needed, and not many people can take all three and make sense of them.

Its a neat little toy; for example, did you know the 2.4L Pontiac G6 gets 9mpg during normal acceleration? I tried slightly more or less throttle with no display change from the instant readout.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
luvme2tymes
luvme2tymes is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

About a month ago I switched my odometer over to the tripometer fulltime. Now I watch my gas mileage vs. where the needle is on my fuel gauge.

I know when I get to the 3/4 mark the mileage better be higher than 100.

My driving isn't as hard now since I've made a game of averaging 38+ mpg.

94 SC2..."Rocket"

02 SL2..."Wednesday"

Ride American Quarter Horses, and Rocky Mountain Horses too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luvme2tymes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luvme2tymes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luvme2tymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenPilot View Post
...Its a neat little toy; for example, did you know the 2.4L Pontiac G6 gets 9mpg during normal acceleration? I tried slightly more or less throttle with no display change from the instant readout.
Which is why a bristle when I hear all these fuel saving driving tips encouraging prople to creep away from stoplights. All you do is spend more time and distance under low mpg conditions. And the odds of hitting more stop lights seem to increase, thereby wasting more gas idling. Ideally you'd drive a manual transmission, open the throttle up fully and shift at low rpm. Unfortunately more throttle means higher shift points on an automatic. With all the electronicly controlled automatics I can't believe no one has come up with a fuel economy mode that would lower shift points and allow more throttle while staying in high gear when cruising.

A fuel computer that lets you easily and accurately test economy from point to point is wht we really need. Slight variations in grade, wind, and speed make it difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from instanteous readings. Then you could test different acceleration rates and speeds on frequently driven routes to determine the best combination for your vehicle and route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I installed an OTIS I bought from another intrepid owner for my intrepid (before I traded it) and I liked watching the instant MPG. It was interesting and helpful. I miss having that feature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

I would love it!, My 89 cougar has that... (Full digital dash) and it works well still!!! I want to get a scanguage2, but 159$.... Ah i dont know...

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Having the ScanGauge set to "today" for mileage you can see how your driving measures up daily.

This is much more useful than a real-time or by the tank readings.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

one thing that can be said for sure, if more cars had them more people could make use of them. I think right about now, more people wished they had them. Unless they drive an SUV and would rather not know how bad it really is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

I'm with kermit on this one... But I personally don't think so. If anything I'd prolly turn it off.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
love099
love099 is on a distinguished road

definitely changed my driving habits after i installed my mpg calc in my car... i kinda missed driving fast but it's kinda helpful...in a way...

Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come. well, whatever... :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to love099's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help love099 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
love099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Thumbs Up Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

i do have a real time readout (dashhawk) and it DOES change my driving habits. best thing about the DH is that the whole screen changes color from Green (+/- 20% of your average) to Yellow, to Red depending on where your instant MPG is from the running average. gets you to pay attention to your foot a lot more.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Biohzrd1
Biohzrd1 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

it might but i doubt it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Biohzrd1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Biohzrd1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Biohzrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
first amendment
first amendment is on a distinguished road

yes, I think so, especially if I were driving trying to obtain better fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to first amendment's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help first amendment reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
first amendment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Since installing my Scanguage II, I have slowed down on the highway and certainly stopped all jackrabbit starts. It just floors me when you see the difference in mpg or litres per hundred when you increase your speed from 110 kph (70 mph) to 120 kph (75mph). On the highway, I find now I can extend my distance between service stations by about 20 to 25 miles. I have no measurement for city driving as being retired I rarely travel the same route in order to come up with a meaningful measurement.
I guess what I am saying is knowing the real-time fuel mileage display certainly has affected my driving habits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

If only I can get mine to work right I'd probably change some of the things I do

yeah my scangauge keeps reading out all these crazy values like 50, 75, even sometimes I had 105+mpg and some of these crazy numbers were when I had it in cruise going @ 70mph and I KNOW you don't get 50mpg when you go 70 (personally I've gotten ~32.5mpg)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Seņor Ramos
Seņor Ramos is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

My father owns a Lincoln Continental with the instant MPG (or KPG!) readout. I have to press the menu button a few times to get to that readout, but when I do, it's usually out of curiosity when I'm on the open road or in really bad traffic. I just like to see what the extremes of the car can be in terms of fuel efficiency. Turns out that it can get up to 27mpg on the highway after some regular maintenance. A V8, no less. If my SL1 had an MPG readout, I would constantly be having a joygasm as I watch the number not slip below 30.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seņor Ramos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seņor Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Ramos View Post
My father owns a Lincoln Continental with the instant MPG (or KPG!) readout. I have to press the menu button a few times to get to that readout, but when I do, it's usually out of curiosity when I'm on the open road or in really bad traffic. I just like to see what the extremes of the car can be in terms of fuel efficiency. Turns out that it can get up to 27mpg on the highway after some regular maintenance. A V8, no less. If my SL1 had an MPG readout, I would constantly be having a joygasm as I watch the number not slip below 30.
That's because it's due to a highly tuned/geared transmission. I also want to say that it's because it's got the mustang engine in it, but I'm not swearing to anything (unless you said Town Car instead )

that said, typically V8s in cars do get that kind of fuel economy (when it's used in a (pickup) truck, van, or (S)UV application you typically expect to see less.) I've read about a couple people getting ~30mpg in even a grand marquis , the secret is that the engine is running at 1700RPM and in a higher gear.

EDIT: If your Continental was a '95-2002 model, it had a 4.6L modular engine in it, which happens to be one of the Mustang engines (psst find a K&N kit for it, get one for a equivalent year Mustang if you can't find one for the continental. it should just fit right in ).. suprising that the oldschool Continentals had V8s that are over 6 and 7 liters

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 05-10-2009 at 01:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote