SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Fresh Saturn Astra Gets Minor Tweaks for 2009

A new story entry has been added:

Fresh Saturn Astra Gets Minor Tweaks for 2009

Quote:
Still fresh from its 2008 model year debut, when it challenged the North American compact car market with sporty looks, European driving performance and a long list of standard equipment, the 2009 Saturn Astra delivers targeted enhancements that make it an even stronger contender in the segment.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
burnin8r
burnin8r is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Fresh Saturn Astra Gets Minor Tweaks for 2009

tan cloth... yes, that should kick start sales.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnin8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnin8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnin8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I still haven't seen one on the road...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I've seen only 2 on the road so far around Boston. A silver 5-door and a blue 3-door.

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
gennie
gennie is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

While impressive, it isn't what we want to replace our existing vehiles with.

Full electric or plug-in electric is the only drive system that will get us back into the showroom, and we are happy to see that GM has gotten that message even if Saturn hasn't yet.

Gennie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gennie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gennie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin8r View Post
tan cloth... yes, that should kick start sales.
To be honest with ya, that's about the only new thing for 2009.

Are they listening to our "customer surveys", or filing them in that round filing cabinet?

Still no:
Aux input jjack
Xm capability
American style cupholders
5-10 extra hp.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post

Are they listening to our "customer surveys", or filing them in that round filing cabinet?

Still no:
Aux input jjack
Xm capability
5-10 extra hp.

Still didnt want to (or cant afford to) spend the extra millions on developement for a few small items for a car that is losing money on every sale and will be replaced in a short time. Just think of it as Cost High, Reward NONE, why do it? Also these few items might only equate to a few sales anyways, not worth the $$$.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
lbhskier37
lbhskier37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennie View Post
While impressive, it isn't what we want to replace our existing vehiles with.

Full electric or plug-in electric is the only drive system that will get us back into the showroom, and we are happy to see that GM has gotten that message even if Saturn hasn't yet.

Gennie
Since full electric or plug-in hybrids aren't even feasible at this time for a reasonable cost I don't really blame Saturn for not offering one. Volt will be limited numbers for the first year or so and cost $40k+ so I am not waiting for that pipe dream. If GM was smart they would offer us some of what they offer in Europe, diesel engines and small gasoline engines. Astra in europe gets 50+ mpg right now while we are stuck with barely getting 30.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lbhskier37's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lbhskier37 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lbhskier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirraven View Post
Still didnt want to (or cant afford to) spend the extra millions on developement for a few small items for a car that is losing money on every sale and will be replaced in a short time. Just think of it as Cost High, Reward NONE, why do it? Also these few items might only equate to a few sales anyways, not worth the $$$.
They should do something. Astra sales are beyond pathetic. 5000 per month should be selling with no effort for any small car now.
We're not saying that the Astra should be changed, we're saying that it never should have been introduced in the first place.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
burnin8r
burnin8r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
We're not saying that the Astra should be changed, we're saying that it never should have been introduced in the first place.
speak for yourself. the only ones saying that are Ion owners =P the rest of the country doesn t know what the Astra is thanks to all the GM advertising dollars being heaped on the new Malibu... which we all know has been out for a year already as the Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnin8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnin8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnin8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
robert4380
robert4380 is on a distinguished road

Here's another little minor tweak for 2009... a 3.5% price increase. Now the Astra will look even LESS favorable compared to a Mazda 3 or Honda Civic

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/23/g...ices-by-3-5-p/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert4380's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert4380 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

And this is why i plan on replacing our 95 Toyota, with a Mazda 3 HB Grand Touring when the time comes. O yea Price is the same..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightVue07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
They should do something. Astra sales are beyond pathetic. 5000 per month should be selling with no effort for any small car now.

Dang you just won't quit... As someone else said speak for yourself. What is with all the hating on the Astra??? Its depressing to come to this board anymore...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
teckman02
teckman02 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan12 View Post
Dang you just won't quit... As someone else said speak for yourself. What is with all the hating on the Astra??? Its depressing to come to this board anymore...
tell me about it i love the Astra and can't Waite till i buy mine ....heck i may be getting it in two weeks when i am down in Texas but i don't want to get it yet ..... long story ....... i have have been to the Saturn lot almost 10 times looking at it....... the biggest thing i love about the Astra is that it is not made in the US , i find us cars look and are built like crap..... i work for gm on a line and see how stuff is made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to teckman02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help teckman02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
teckman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Down Re: Fresh Saturn Astra Gets Minor Tweaks for 2009

Quote:
What's with all the Astra hating? The Astra is a fine automobile that's just under advertised. As a hatchback, its also more of a niche vehicle that was never predicted to match the sales volume of the Ion. The next-generation Astra is rumored to feature a more North American friendly sedan variant, so I would expect sales and awareness to rise accordingly.

The Ion was beat up pretty hard by some S-Series owners on here when it first came out, and I was hoping that history wouldn't repeat itself with the Astra. Being rude towards other owners and bashing their cars is against the rules of this forum. The Astra is a Saturn, and new Astra owners should be welcomed here -- not chastised for buying one. This type of behavior will not be tolerated.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post

Still no:
Aux input jjack
Xm capability
5-10 extra hp.
Senseless to redesign a full European car to accommodate a Big Gulp. Cup holders are American, that is why they end up in bad places for vehicles imported here, like some contraption that folds out from the dashboard.

These are all creature features, too, minus more power. It baffles me that such things can make or break a sale.

3 things I look for, looks good, drives great, comfortable for my use.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #17
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
Senseless to redesign a full European car to accommodate a Big Gulp. Cup holders are American, that is why they end up in bad places for vehicles imported here, like some contraption that folds out from the dashboard.

These are all creature features, too, minus more power. It baffles me that such things can make or break a sale.

3 things I look for, looks good, drives great, comfortable for my use.
I see your point.
I can live with/without them. But unfortunatley, these little things make or break a sale here in the US. Seeing Sync on cars like the Focus make me wonder why some would consider an Astra over a Focus. But that's Amerikan taste.

All I can say is my wife is very happy with her Astra purchase. Getting upwards to 34 mpg helps.

BTW, thanx Charlie for your comments.
At times, I feel this secton of SF was being trolled by the anti-Astra clan. Worse part, many of these "people" were longtime SF members.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Have you seen the latest Cadillac CTS commercial with the woman driving? They state the cup holder was very important. Maybe this is because the European competition won't design an adequate one?

IMO every car sold in the US should be able to accommodate two 32oz drinks in an accessible front console cup holder. The back seat should also be capable of holding at least two 32oz drinks also.

Every Saturn currently sold, except the Astra can do this.

On my SC I had two door mounted cup holders that worked well. The console cup holder was not very good.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
seankiely
seankiely is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 RELAY-2

Quote:
Well I have seen exactly zero in my hometown and area (ive been watching a few weeks) - so the fact that we got one...makes me happy - its nice to be unique.

The fact that it is not made in NE makes it even better IMOP.

We have had the car two days and love it!!

Sean

2008 - Saturn Astra XR
2007 - Saturn Relay
R.I.P - 2005 - Saturn Relay (It died a brutal death)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seankiely's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seankiely reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seankiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
thrilhouse
thrilhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've had my Astra for a bit over a week, and I gotta tell ya, it's probably the best all-around car I've ever owned so far. And I just came out of a MINI and into my Astra.

The cupholder issue is, for me, a non-issue. I use the one at the rear of the center console to hold my sunglasses case. The fact that cupholder size/placement is a dealmaker/dealbreaker just seems ridiculous to me. Why are Americans more fixated on having a place to put our grande latte mochaccino frappe thing than we are on concentrating on the act of driving?

Back on the MY2009 revisions, the tan interior addition is a good move. My red XR 3-door would look slick with a tan/black interior.

I know there's more that I want to add to this post, but my thoughts are incoherent at best right now...

EDIT: I know what I wanted to add...I was at the carwash over the weekend. As my car was going through, a couple guys were watching it pass by. Here's what I overheard:

Guy 1: "What kind of car is that?"
Guy 2: "I dunno."

(Rear of car passes, they see the badges)

Guy 2: "It's a Saturn!"
Guy 1: "Really?"

The word needs to get out on this car. Badly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrilhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrilhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote