SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
WGBWGB62
WGBWGB62 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default fuel and temp gauge failure

2001 L100 recently had timing chain and exhaust manifold replaced. Now fuel and temp gauge work in morning when I first start the car and then they both stop working after I shut it off. I first noticed the fuel gauge and some time later the temp gauge started doing the same thing. I have replaced the thermostat, ECT sensor, air filter. The puller fan comes on when the engine gets hot. Both the fans were running constantly after the repairs when I got it back from the dealer. I didn't really question it until the other problems surfaced. I had an error code associated with oxygen sensor. I disconnected the battery, cleaned sensor, and the error disappeared and fans stopped running continuously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WGBWGB62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WGBWGB62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WGBWGB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: fuel and temp gauge failure

Soooo, what's the problem again? Uhh, never mind, I was too busy reading and learning from you and forgot what's ailing your car!

The instrument panel is connected to the body control module (BCM) that runs the electronics not managing the engine (the ECM). The sensors feed into the bcm for output to the various displays so it might be a connection problem or the beginnings of bcm failure. Yours is the early L-series and had the most problems with bcm's so reading the threads related to your car may give you some idea of what you may be up against. Hopefully its just some loose connections. Without a wring diagram its going to be difficult to trace wiring connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
WGBWGB62
WGBWGB62 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Could the timing chain failure and repair work have caused the BCM to fail? Could there be any loose ground wires and if so where would I look? The fans have come back on again along with check engine soon light. Now the gauges are working. An hour ago they didn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WGBWGB62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WGBWGB62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WGBWGB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Take it stride; keep an open mind as the repairs hardly have anything to do with this recent electrical/electronic problem while a timing chain is a mechanical problem. If the SES indicator remains on you can drive to the nearest Autozone or auto store that can read the codes for you free. Just write down the code(s), look in the How-to library page 5 titled OBD II Powertrain Codes to find the listing. Copy and paste the codes in this post for anyone that can help you. You can also look around in the engine area for any loose connections too unless you feel the dealer should be doing this as there isn't any way for anyone here that hasn't seen your car to be able to say that the dealer caused this new problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote