SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default USA Today Drives the '08 Saturn Astra XR5

A new feeditems entry has been added:

USA Today Drives the '08 Saturn Astra XR5

Quote:
James Healey from USA Today road tested the 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5-door in yesterday's newspaper. "What a great time for General Motors to have a sweet-driving, decent-looking small car like the Saturn Astra," he wrote in his review. While he felt his well-equipped test car was "a bit pricey," he thought that the Astra deserved serious consideration from small car shoppers.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: USA Today Drives the '08 Saturn Astra XR5

You really have to nit pick to find something you don't like about this car. You get down to cupholders as the only substantial beef. Okay, the switches take some getting used to. And the radio/DIC set ups...yeah that takes some study in the manual. But once you're over that, you can really enjoy the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
You really have to nit pick to find something you don't like about this car. You get down to cupholders as the only substantial beef. Okay, the switches take some getting used to. And the radio/DIC set ups...yeah that takes some study in the manual. But once you're over that, you can really enjoy the car.
And what are most car reviews about other than nitpicking? I'm surprised he didn't point out a few more things but he probably missed them himself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
burnin8r
burnin8r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
And what are most car reviews about other than nitpicking? I'm surprised he didn't point out a few more things but he probably missed them himself.
I think on*star is worthless, real navigation and bluetooth would be far more attractive to young, tech savvy buyers, that and an axillary input for the radio.

I thought the shifter was a bit vague at first but it is starting to feel a lot better after the first 3.5k miles. Also, there should be an XE model 3 door...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnin8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnin8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnin8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
dborcher
dborcher is on a distinguished road

The best part about On Star is the fact that they can notify local emergency officials if you are involved in an accident. The navigation is ok but would be better if they had a screen that showed roads and maps.

Personally the shifter feels just fine to me. The only thing I really have to compare it to is an older honda civic(what I learned to drive to stick on), my previous saturn a 94 SC, and a 94 corvette ZR1. Compared to those its the same.

2008 Astra XR 5 door, 5 speed, premium trim, sport handling, sunroof

Former Saturn: 1994 SC1 with twin cam engine (still miss it from time to time)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dborcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dborcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dborcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
burnin8r

Default On*Star rant

Realistically tho, do you even know your On*Star phone number ? Would you ever consider purchasing minutes like a 1990s cell phone ? On*Star may have been high tech in 1994, but it is absolutely pointless on a 2008 vehicle, and the navigation is crap. It told me to make a U turn when I was staring straight at my destination. Another time, when the turnpike was closed , I asked for a course to get to the Saturn dealership not using RT 476. It literally took 45 minutes for three On*star associates, one of which hung up on me, to come up with what I was asking. Their original response (after 20 minutes of silence) was simply "follow the detour", and then after accidentally disconnecting the call, instead of coming back with the directions I asked for, they waste my time by telling me that they had no notification of the turnpike closing, as if I was lying to them. I can't be the first person to ask for directions excluding a major roadway in response to a road closing. I can only imagine if I wasn't sitting in traffic for three hours and didn't have the time to kill for these unintelligent, untrained monkeys to push random buttons until they came up with something resembling what I was looking for. On*Star is trash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help burnin8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

When navigation software isn't updated every six months or annually, it becomes just as pointless as your OnStar calls for directions were. No map is perfect, whether it's on a screen or on paper.

Actually, I do know my OnStar telephone number and I do buy minutes to replenish those I use. I'm not like most everyone else in the civilized world; I abhor mobile phones. I have no need to be accessible 24/7, wherever I go. I use the phone portion of OnStar sparingly; urgent or emergency calls only. I kept OnStar after my free year of service ended because I value its other functions - accident notification, the ability to unlock my doors if I manage to be thoughtless enough to lock my keys in the car, vehicle theft-tracking and the monthly e-mail status reports I receive on my car's various systems.

IMO, like mobile phones, in-vehicle navigation is just another distraction so folks don't have to deal with the horrendous chore of driving. They find it mind-numbing, so there must be something handy to take the edge off.

Since Bluetooth is coming for MY 2009 to GM and more and more models will have on-screen navigation in the future, your experience with OnStar operators is less likely to be the norm.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The display does remind me of the one used in the IBM Laptops of the mid 1980's

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
burnin8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
When navigation software isn't updated every six months or annually, it becomes just as pointless as your OnStar calls for directions were. No map is perfect, whether it's on a screen or on paper.

Actually, I do know my OnStar telephone number and I do buy minutes to replenish those I use. I'm not like most everyone else in the civilized world; I abhor mobile phones. I have no need to be accessible 24/7, wherever I go. I use the phone portion of OnStar sparingly; urgent or emergency calls only. I kept OnStar after my free year of service ended because I value its other functions - accident notification, the ability to unlock my doors if I manage to be thoughtless enough to lock my keys in the car, vehicle theft-tracking and the monthly e-mail status reports I receive on my car's various systems.

IMO, like mobile phones, in-vehicle navigation is just another distraction so folks don't have to deal with the horrendous chore of driving. They find it mind-numbing, so there must be something handy to take the edge off.

Since Bluetooth is coming for MY 2009 to GM and more and more models will have on-screen navigation in the future, your experience with OnStar operators is less likely to be the norm.
just FYI, the Astra does not have email diagnostic, unless the two On*Star reps I spoke to were equally clueless. I work in the software field (bug fixes and enhancements), so I fire up the laptop as soon as I get home to see what blew up during my commute. I am glad you like On*Star, but I think your feelings towards mobile communication devices are the exception, not the rule, and certainly not indicative of the market Saturn is catering to with the Astra.

I could live without the piano black finish, but I would prefer the full color GID screen to the old monochromatic Apple IIe monitor we get here in the states.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!