SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Taking the bus to work.

Is not something I wont be doing.

Just for the hell of it, I though I'd see what route and how long it would take for me to get to work in the morning. According to the local public transportation website, 3 hours and 10 minutes. I'd have to start off by leaving my house at 3:50am and walk approximately 54 minutes to the nearest bus stop that could take me to work. Take three buses and light rail to arrive at a bus stop 15 minutes away from my work so I can make it there by 7:00am.

It would also cost $8.75. Each way. By my calculations it costs me about $2.50 to drive my Saturn or Suburban and it only takes 15 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes after work to get home.

I wont be taking the bus anytime soon.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Taking the bus to work.

I was looking at that when looking into cheaper options for parking and reduced commute time to class. To park at the nearest park & ride station outside the city limits would have taken me 2 hours, which included about 10 transfers, to get to campus. Granted, it was free because all students get free fare on the city buses, but the 2 hour ride totally negated the 15-20 minutes in driving that I was attempting to save myself. I tried a closer park & ride to campus because it's free parking, but the 30 minutes it took to get 4 miles, all while crammed into a standing-room-only bus, was a deal breaker. I paid the $7/day to park in an on-campus garage and walked or rode my bike to class.

Some cities have really well-designed and effective mass transit systems, such as New York and Washington D.C. (I take the metro everywhere in D.C. when I'm visiting my brother) but most cities don't. Columbus doesn't, and Memphis didn't either - I could never figure out the bus schedule to get anywhere.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench I miss taking the bus / train EVERYWHERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
Some cities have really well-designed and effective mass transit systems, such as New York and Washington D.C. (I take the metro everywhere in D.C. when I'm visiting my brother) but most cities don't. Columbus doesn't, and Memphis didn't either - I could never figure out the bus schedule to get anywhere.
I miss the CTA in Chicago and TheBus in Honolulu.
Needing to own a car sucks.

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Guesstimating from the drive time, your commute is, what, 12 miles? You could probably do it in an hour and change by bicycle.

54 minutes walk -- you're THREE MILES from the nearest public transportation? Eek! And that fare is obviously a one-off fare. Regular public transportation users can generally get either bulk or monthly passes for a fraction of the single-ride fare. And you probably park for free. In most cities, that's a BIG part of the cost comparison. I pay $60 a YEAR for private, locked parking, about 10 steps from the door of my building. It's for my bike. Parking a car anywhere near there would cost $100-ish a MONTH, and would mean a 1-3 block walk.

Everybody's circumstances are different. Yours is either an extreme case, or an example of why not everybody thinks CA is "the" place to live. My seat-of-the-pants sense is that for most people, either there simply is no public transportation option for their workplace (I used to drive 15 miles to a factory outside a small village "bedroom community" of Madison, for example), or their public transpo option takes 1.5 to 2 times as long as driving. The mistake people often make is that they think they're "saving time" driving, say, 1/2 hour rather than riding a train or bus for an hour. They forget that on the train or bus, they can be doing something else, that they'd have to set aside time for if they drive. (Oh, wait, no, nowadays people are reading, getting their Email, knitting, etc. WHILE driving; I forgot that's how we do things anymore....).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Guesstimating from the drive time, your commute is, what, 12 miles? You could probably do it in an hour and change by bicycle.

54 minutes walk -- you're THREE MILES from the nearest public transportation? Eek! And that fare is obviously a one-off fare. Regular public transportation users can generally get either bulk or monthly passes for a fraction of the single-ride fare. And you probably park for free. In most cities, that's a BIG part of the cost comparison. I pay $60 a YEAR for private, locked parking, about 10 steps from the door of my building. It's for my bike. Parking a car anywhere near there would cost $100-ish a MONTH, and would mean a 1-3 block walk.

Everybody's circumstances are different. Yours is either an extreme case, or an example of why not everybody thinks CA is "the" place to live. My seat-of-the-pants sense is that for most people, either there simply is no public transportation option for their workplace (I used to drive 15 miles to a factory outside a small village "bedroom community" of Madison, for example), or their public transpo option takes 1.5 to 2 times as long as driving. The mistake people often make is that they think they're "saving time" driving, say, 1/2 hour rather than riding a train or bus for an hour. They forget that on the train or bus, they can be doing something else, that they'd have to set aside time for if they drive. (Oh, wait, no, nowadays people are reading, getting their Email, knitting, etc. WHILE driving; I forgot that's how we do things anymore....).
In my case, there is actually a bus stop within a five minute walk from my house. Its just no buses run on that route early in the morning. I work 7:00 to 3:30 and in order to get to work on time, I have to follow that crazy other route.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

There is no public transportation from my home to my place of employment. Basically, the bus is the only option for most people here (limited light rail and I do mean limited). The bus does take longer, but as madpogue mentioned, you could take care of other things while being driven. If I lived within 5 miles of work, I'd ride a bicycle. I live about 20 miles away and the bus doesn't go anywhere near where I work. Car pools are tough because the two guys who live by me are hourly and they like their overtime. For me, when my time is up, I'm ready to head home.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote