SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #81
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
will do theres all kinds of tricks you can do with plumbing to make it run better. if you had a way to make that pipe pull in air from outside the bumper like i thought it did you could build a ram air system cheap. mybeye if we opened up the grill in the fog light area and put a piece of rubber pipe on the end to seal it up and plugged the baffle. just thinking here.
yeah i just have problems "working for" a ram air setup. the last time i researched it there was pretty vast amounts of math dictating how they're pretty well useless under 100mph. so even in the 1/4mi, where the aura likely barely gets to 100, you wouldn't see much benefit. *shrug*

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #82
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
...how they're pretty well useless under 100mph. ..
Velocity of the medium is just one part of the equation. Once you have velocity you have to design an adequate plenum that will change the high velocity, turburlent air into stagnant, high (relatively) pressure air to present to the throttle body. Such a design would take up a big percentage of the engine compartment, which already has an engine taking up most of that space. Closest to this I've ever seen in the Holman-Moody design used on the lightweight Galaxy, and it probably wasn't all that close to real ram air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #83
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Velocity of the medium is just one part of the equation. Once you have velocity you have to design an adequate plenum that will change the high velocity, turburlent air into stagnant, high (relatively) pressure air to present to the throttle body. Such a design would take up a big percentage of the engine compartment, which already has an engine taking up most of that space. Closest to this I've ever seen in the Holman-Moody design used on the lightweight Galaxy, and it probably wasn't all that close to real ram air.
When I raced back in the H&M days (early-mid 60's) We all used a ram air type system and knew very little about air turbulence. We used a pair of BIG 4 barrel carbs that just need a lot of air. Without a monster hood scoop and a pressure box we reverted to the good old coffee can behind a deleted headlight or under the front bumper. We ran dryer ducting to the top of the quad and connected it with a big hose clamp.
Might not have been any good for todays sensitive fuel injection systems, but on a 409 Chevy that was good for 0.8 seconds on a hot day and 1.1 seconds on a cold one.
Suppose if we used some smooth ducting and a pressure box we might have gotten a tenth more. What ever, it was good for a lot of wins over non-ramed 409's and 406 Fords out at Lyons, Irwindale, and San Fernando.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #84
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

well i gotta agree with phantom we also on the trucks (sorry to ref them again but it is usually what i build) would take the headlight out and pick up a few tenths even with cias.

2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nekkidhillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nekkidhillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #85
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
7) When finished and everything sounds good, you need to reset your fuel trims. You can do this via a device like the DashHawk or you can simply leave the negative terminal of your battery unplugged for about 20-30min.
This takes the "learned" fuel trim (amount) readings that your car has developed over time and resets them so that in the next few miles it will re-learn how much fuel the engine needs in various conditions. This is needed because now the air will be getting a different amount / "quality" of air into it, so the fuel needs will change slightly. This isn't a requirement for this modification, per se, but as a general rule whenever you change something that alters the air / fuel input to the engine, you should perform this operation.
I have been thinking about doing this mod, and after reviewing your procedure and photos, I have two questions for you.

1. I have the feeling that by just cutting the resonator of the ram tube (Your photo 009.jpg) and plugging the hole left, I would gain the advantage of high pressure air into the air box. Do you think this would work any better than just removing the whole piece?

2. You mention in your step 7 about resetting the fuel trim. I know several people here have mentioned swapping out the OEM air filter for the K&N. Having used K&N on half a dozen cars and truck I know they let more air into the FI system. So should I reset the Fuel trim after the bong R&R and after doing the K&N replacement?

And does the neg terminal removal also screw up all the other memories, like the radio and DIC settings?

Thanks
Phaeton Driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #86
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Thumbs Up Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
I have been thinking about doing this mod, and after reviewing your procedure and photos, I have two questions for you.

1. I have the feeling that by just cutting the resonator of the ram tube (Your photo 009.jpg) and plugging the hole left, I would gain the advantage of high pressure air into the air box. Do you think this would work any better than just removing the whole piece?
sure it may, however as has been pointed out previously ram air setups are virtually of no benefit under 80mph
Quote:
2. You mention in your step 7 about resetting the fuel trim. I know several people here have mentioned swapping out the OEM air filter for the K&N. Having used K&N on half a dozen cars and truck I know they let more air into the FI system. So should I reset the Fuel trim after the bong R&R and after doing the K&N replacement?
in reality you should do the fuel trim reset any time you make a change to the air flow path through the engine. this includes intake and exhaust. So if you change to a filter that allows more/less air, yes it should be reset. the purpose of this is so the car starts analyzing the new air flow right away and adjusting its fuel trims accordingly, and doesn't have to start from the air flow it was seeing before and how it adjusted them, then come all the way back around to the new ones over a very long period of time. Now, if you plan on doing the bong removal and the k&n w/ little time between, just do it when you're done.
Quote:
And does the neg terminal removal also screw up all the other memories, like the radio and DIC settings?
GM actually got smart w/ this. your radio memories and DIC settings are persisted to non-volatile memory now. so no, they're not lost in the event of a power loss.

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #87
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Dizzy Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
GM actually got smart w/ this. your radio memories and DIC settings are persisted to non-volatile memory now. so no, they're not lost in the event of a power loss.
i left my headlights on yesterday accidentally, and had to jump the car this morning. The one thing I did notice that gets reset is the clock. but no radio memories or DIC settings

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #88
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
i left my headlights on yesterday accidentally, and had to jump the car this morning. The one thing I did notice that gets reset is the clock. but no radio memories or DIC settings
Except for gas mileage, oddly.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #89
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Except for gas mileage, oddly.
u saying you noticed the average mpg get reset as well? i didn't check mine. i hope the oil life one doesn't get reset though!

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #90
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
u saying you noticed the average mpg get reset as well? i didn't check mine. i hope the oil life one doesn't get reset though!
The only resets I noticed was avg MPG, avg MPH and the clock. Another time power was disconnected, I noticed the Auto-up feature on the drivers window had to be reset as well.

That's about it, everything else stays.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #91
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
The only resets I noticed was avg MPG, avg MPH and the clock. Another time power was disconnected, I noticed the Auto-up feature on the drivers window had to be reset as well.

That's about it, everything else stays.
good info, +rep

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #92
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
good info, +rep
Thanks!

(It won't let me leave anymore for you... haha.)

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #93
searstrv
searstrv is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

awesome tip, great directions, I did it on my 2008 3.5 . Thanks need more tips, lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to searstrv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help searstrv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
searstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #94
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

ok i finaly dropped my K&N in and it sure put a nice pep in my 2.4. i can really feel it in the low RPM's who ever hasnt done this to they aura really needs to it is weel worth the effort!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #95
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

pulling the battery also resets the radio's custom eq setting for some reason. so if you were using a custom eq it goes back to flat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #96
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

i still havent reset the bat im kind of scred of doing it and having the car go hay wire lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #97
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
i still havent reset the bat im kind of scred of doing it and having the car go hay wire lol
Believe me, your car will be fine.

If your nervous, just leave your headlights on for a few hours... That's an alternative... haha

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #98
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

or you can pull the ecm fuses

2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nekkidhillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nekkidhillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #99
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Bc3Tech- Once again you have outdone yourself with helping and information!! Awesome pics, video, and step by step procedure. I am going to attempt this procedure this Weekend on my 08 aura xe 3.5 v6.. I think its all the same as stated before about the setup!! Will I have to replace the rivets/black retainer plugs on the shroud, or can they be re-used?? P.s. How do you suggest removing the negative terminal on the batter safely? For example, once batter protective case is removed and you can access the negative cable/terminal. Should i use a tool that has a rubber/plastic handle or coted handle. Will i get any sparks, shock, etc by touching the terminal bolt/nut holding on the cable with say a regular wrench etc..? Im excited to do this. and you know what so what if it doesn't make the car like a rocket. I understand why you did it and what its about. +rep points for sure. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #100
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
Bc3Tech- Once again you have outdone yourself with helping and information!! Awesome pics, video, and step by step procedure. I am going to attempt this procedure this Weekend on my 08 aura xe 3.5 v6..
thx homie - good luck and hope you enjoy the outcome
Quote:
Will I have to replace the rivets/black retainer plugs on the shroud, or can they be re-used??
nope they can be reused no problem, as long as you don't mangle 'em too bad getting them out!
Quote:
P.s. How do you suggest removing the negative terminal on the batter safely?
any wrench/socket will do, may just want to be careful not touch anything else on the car if you're using a metal wrench that could conduct electricity - else you will get sparks, but they're really no big deal
Quote:
Im excited to do this. and you know what so what if it doesn't make the car like a rocket. I understand why you did it and what its about. +rep points for sure. bue05
thanks again, and good luck!

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!