SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #41
XR524
Member
XR524 is on a distinguished road
 
XR524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 432

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
How would the number of bends and all that have anything to do with air temperature? if i blow air through a straight straw, its gonna be the same temperature if i bend the straw 3 times and blow again.

You couldnt be more wrong about CAIs ONLY drawing cold air from outside the egine bay. I went to so many websites, AEM, K&N, and youre simply wrong. A LOT of CAIs draw air from inside the actual engine bay. For example, heres one http://www.performancecenter.com/col...-intake-system That one IS a cold air intake and doesnt get its air from outside the engine bay, and only has a heat shield, which doesnt affect the temp all that much. Just helps a little, I know because Ive tested them. Still not as cool as air OUTSIDE the bay. Do some research before you think you are 100% correct on something.
Wikipedia even says that cold air intakes dont necessarily decrease the temperature of the air, but they do increase the amount of oxygen and airflow

"All cold air intakes operate on the principle of increasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Because cooler air has more density for a given volume, cold air intakes generally work by introducing cooler air from outside the hot engine bay. However, the term "cold air intake" is often used to describe other methods of increasing oxygen to an engine, which may even increase the temperature of the air coming into an engine."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #42
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough
 
bc3tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,425
 

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Thumbs Down Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

if you buy a cold air intake that sucks air from inside the engine bay (and expect the IATs to actually go down), you're an idiot. Plain & simple. moreover, if you buy anything at face value w/o researching, you're more of an idiot.

the COLD in COLD AIR INTAKE implies air cooler than the engine bay's air. which would be outside. companies can call it what they want, but they haven't designed a CAI if it doesn't do this. here's a lesson in other intakes for you as this would be what is called an SRI (short ram intake) or even WAI (warm air intake). hence "brute force" coming from "short ram."

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
You couldnt be more wrong about CAIs ONLY drawing cold air from outside the egine bay. I went to so many websites, AEM, K&N, and youre simply wrong. A LOT of CAIs draw air from inside the actual engine bay. For example, heres one http://www.performancecenter.com/col...-intake-system That one IS a cold air intake...
ROFL - where on the link you sent me to did it say that that's a CAI??? i see "brute force air intake system" and "aem intake system" but no where "COLD air intake system" in its description. the only place i saw "cai" was in the CATEGORY that the SITE put the item in! forgive me if i rely on some webmaster's organization of product to define exactly what it does...
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
How would the number of bends and all that have anything to do with air temperature? if i blow air through a straight straw, its gonna be the same temperature if i bend the straw 3 times and blow again.
did i say it would? read again - "i advise you to also compare"

oh, and the next time you cite wikipedia, try and cite it on a research paper and see how far it gets you.

...
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

Last edited by bc3tech; 10-06-2008 at 12:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #43
cverstij
Member
cverstij is on a distinguished road
 
cverstij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 371
 

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
they dont perform as well as the stock airbox + K&N panel filter simply because of the air intake temperature. They call it cold air intake, but it really isnt literally cold. Nothing brings in cooler air than the stock airbox for an Aura. Thats just common sense...air outside the engine compartment is always going to be cooler than the inside. The only reason cones sound better is the shape, its got nothing to do with how well it filters the air. The K&N filter in stock air box works better in my Aura, then the performance cone filter/custom CAI. So how do you explain that?

I'd have to disagree. I have a custom CAI that goes down into the wheel well and sits just above the plastic underbody casing (I cut a hole to bring in cold air). The sound and power (just a little more) is better than what I experienced with the stock AI.

Plus, when you say that nothing brings in colder air than the stock intake and then state that air outside the compartment is cooler (but yet the stock intake is INSIDE the compartment), what exactly is your point?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #44
NRJIZED
Member
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road
 
NRJIZED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Family is in AZ, I'm in Korea
Posts: 162

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
Wikipedia even says that cold air intakes dont necessarily decrease the temperature of the air, but they do increase the amount of oxygen and airflow

"All cold air intakes operate on the principle of increasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Because cooler air has more density for a given volume, cold air intakes generally work by introducing cooler air from outside the hot engine bay. However, the term "cold air intake" is often used to describe other methods of increasing oxygen to an engine, which may even increase the temperature of the air coming into an engine."
If Wikipedia told you to jump off of a bridge because it improves your health, you would then, I bet. New one jumping in here. Use common sense man. If you remember anything from science class in school, a cooler air temperature is denser than warmer air. The molecules are packed together more closely in a cooler air temp. Now, the name cold air intake doesn't mean it's refrigerating the air, just that it's asking for air coming from a cooler location on your car. Look up any CAI that actually claims in its features that it's a CAI, you'll see they are noticeably longer than the SRI (the Brute Force in your link). That is so they can be placed in a fender or in front of your radiator where ambient air temps can be ingested rather than the air warmed up under the hood by the engine block and transmission.

Bends have little to nothing to do with efficiency of a CAI. That merely affects turbulence of the incoming air. Now let's talk turbulence. Notice your stock box is connected to the intake manifold with an accordion shaped adapter. That allows for cheaper production methods for manufacture and for engine movement on the mounts. Now that creates turbulent air. Notice nearly any aftermarket intake of one brand or another uses a rubber joint kinda like a super giant hose? That is smooth yet flexible to retain movement ability for the mounts. So bends in a CAI cause little deficit to airflow.

Lastly, removing the snout on any stock intake will be an improvement in airflow, plain and simple. I've removed them from nearly every car I've had a stock box on. Purse your lips and try to suck in air. Don't your lungs take a moment to pull in a full breath? Now, open your mouth all the way. Go ahead, you should be used to that already. Now take a deep breath. Notice it takes less effort and less time to fully fill your lungs? An angine is in fact an air pump. The easier it is to pull air in and push air out, the less effort it takes to do work. OOH, another science thingy from school. So if you allow it to bring in air very easily and push air out easily (by adding a larger diameter exhaust tubing) the engine will perform better with less effort. That's why so many engines provide rather interesting performance (via hp and tq gains) gains when both the intake and exhaust are upgraded.

I hope I didn't dumb this down for you too much. Not trying to insult you any more than you were trying to insult others on here with your unfounded information. Next time you want to pick a battle of wits, better come armed with more than "Wiki sez so!" You got grey matter between your ears for learning. Use it.

...
Jason
On my 4th and 5th Saturn - 2006 Ion RL Stage 2, 2007 Outlook XR loaded to the gills minus leather and Nav.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #45
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough
 
bc3tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,425
 

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cverstij View Post
...
Plus, when you say that nothing brings in colder air than the stock intake and then state that air outside the compartment is cooler (but yet the stock intake is INSIDE the compartment), what exactly is your point?
to be fair, the air on the stock intake is being taken from outside the engine bay if you follow the piping down thru to the bong that is removed by the process outlined in this thread.

again, this "how-to" is merely outlining a way to remove a restriction, and get some better sound.

...
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #46
XR524
Member
XR524 is on a distinguished road
 
XR524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 432

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
if you buy a cold air intake that sucks air from inside the engine bay (and expect the IATs to actually go down), you're an idiot. Plain & simple. moreover, if you buy anything at face value w/o researching, you're more of an idiot.

the COLD in COLD AIR INTAKE implies air cooler than the engine bay's air. which would be outside. companies can call it what they want, but they haven't designed a CAI if it doesn't do this. here's a lesson in other intakes for you as this would be what is called an SRI (short ram intake) or even WAI (warm air intake). hence "brute force" coming from "short ram."


ROFL - where on the link you sent me to did it say that that's a CAI??? i see "brute force air intake system" and "aem intake system" but no where "COLD air intake system" in its description. the only place i saw "cai" was in the CATEGORY that the SITE put the item in! forgive me if i rely on some webmaster's organization of product to define exactly what it does...
did i say it would? read again - "i advise you to also compare"

oh, and the next time you cite wikipedia, try and cite it on a research paper and see how far it gets you.
Well the link I clicked on said "cold air intake". If the company promoting the product is wrong, then theyre wrong. Excuse me for taking their word for it!

I dont need a freaking LESSON. I know what Short Ram Intakes are, and what I've noticed, is that within most companies, Short Rams and CAIs have the same setup, and I cannot find any differences.

All the research Ive done has brought me to this conclusion: More than half the companies claiming to have a CAI product, aren't in fact CAI, according to you. Thats a pretty hard pill for me to swallow. I wouldnt expect JDM, AEM, and K&N, the top brands in performance, to ALL be full of crap. But according to you, they are.

http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intakes.htm This link nexplains K&Ns Cold Air Intake, but never says anything about the air being sucked in from outside the engine bay. And there are even pictures of their supposed CAIs, that are nothing more than Short Ram Intakes with customized heat shields around the cone filters.

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=162 This link is another example, of a JDM Cold Air Intake that DOES NOT get its air from outside the engine bay. Same thing as K&N, Just a Short Ram Setup with Heat Shield Attatched.

So how do you explain those two examples? You are correct, but these major performance companies are wrong? Highly unlikely. So it makes me an idiot to believe what these specialist companies tell me? hmmm...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #47
XR524
Member
XR524 is on a distinguished road
 
XR524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 432

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post
If Wikipedia told you to jump off of a bridge because it improves your health, you would then, I bet. New one jumping in here. Use common sense man. If you remember anything from science class in school, a cooler air temperature is denser than warmer air. The molecules are packed together more closely in a cooler air temp. Now, the name cold air intake doesn't mean it's refrigerating the air, just that it's asking for air coming from a cooler location on your car. Look up any CAI that actually claims in its features that it's a CAI, you'll see they are noticeably longer than the SRI (the Brute Force in your link). That is so they can be placed in a fender or in front of your radiator where ambient air temps can be ingested rather than the air warmed up under the hood by the engine block and transmission.

Bends have little to nothing to do with efficiency of a CAI. That merely affects turbulence of the incoming air. Now let's talk turbulence. Notice your stock box is connected to the intake manifold with an accordion shaped adapter. That allows for cheaper production methods for manufacture and for engine movement on the mounts. Now that creates turbulent air. Notice nearly any aftermarket intake of one brand or another uses a rubber joint kinda like a super giant hose? That is smooth yet flexible to retain movement ability for the mounts. So bends in a CAI cause little deficit to airflow.

Lastly, removing the snout on any stock intake will be an improvement in airflow, plain and simple. I've removed them from nearly every car I've had a stock box on. Purse your lips and try to suck in air. Don't your lungs take a moment to pull in a full breath? Now, open your mouth all the way. Go ahead, you should be used to that already. Now take a deep breath. Notice it takes less effort and less time to fully fill your lungs? An angine is in fact an air pump. The easier it is to pull air in and push air out, the less effort it takes to do work. OOH, another science thingy from school. So if you allow it to bring in air very easily and push air out easily (by adding a larger diameter exhaust tubing) the engine will perform better with less effort. That's why so many engines provide rather interesting performance (via hp and tq gains) gains when both the intake and exhaust are upgraded.

I hope I didn't dumb this down for you too much. Not trying to insult you any more than you were trying to insult others on here with your unfounded information. Next time you want to pick a battle of wits, better come armed with more than "Wiki sez so!" You got grey matter between your ears for learning. Use it.
This is the most my intelligence has been insulted in such a long time. I know literally everything you just said. You should probably not assume that I dont know anything... pretty rude.

Regardless of what you think, wikipedia IS a good source of facts. Lets test it out, shall we? When was George Washington born? WOA! Its correct! Imagine that! Ive cited wikipedia on so many research papers throughout college with no problems. If college professors are comfortable letting students quite Wiki, Id have to assume its a good source. There is software that automatically double checks every entry of text changed on Wiki. If you think Wiki is a bad place for facts, try and find me ONE single fact that isnt true on Wiki... Im talking about FACTS like history for example.

What the hell is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post
OOH, another science thingy from school.
Theres a difference in being an *******, and trying to resolve an argument like an adult. You must be pretty young, otherwise youd have to be the most immature adult Ive ever conversed with on a forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #48
NRJIZED
Member
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road
 
NRJIZED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Family is in AZ, I'm in Korea
Posts: 162

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
Well the link I clicked on said "cold air intake". If the company promoting the product is wrong, then theyre wrong. Excuse me for taking their word for it!

I dont need a freaking LESSON. I know what Short Ram Intakes are, and what I've noticed, is that within most companies, Short Rams and CAIs have the same setup, and I cannot find any differences.

All the research Ive done has brought me to this conclusion: More than half the companies claiming to have a CAI product, aren't in fact CAI, according to you. Thats a pretty hard pill for me to swallow. I wouldnt expect JDM, AEM, and K&N, the top brands in performance, to ALL be full of crap. But according to you, they are.

http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intakes.htm This link nexplains K&Ns Cold Air Intake, but never says anything about the air being sucked in from outside the engine bay. And there are even pictures of their supposed CAIs, that are nothing more than Short Ram Intakes with customized heat shields around the cone filters.

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=162 This link is another example, of a JDM Cold Air Intake that DOES NOT get its air from outside the engine bay. Same thing as K&N, Just a Short Ram Setup with Heat Shield Attatched.

So how do you explain those two examples? You are correct, but these major performance companies are wrong? Highly unlikely. So it makes me an idiot to believe what these specialist companies tell me? hmmm...
An SRI has no shroud. Some manufacturers make an intake and put a shield around it to force it to take from places such as behind a headlight. The shield prevents. the intake from grabbing engine bay air. Hence CAI. Since you want to quote K&N, go to their site and search for "Typhoon". Now that is a true CAI. The filter is literally inside the fender. No engine air is accessible there. I have that on my IRL.

Fail! Try again.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #49
NRJIZED
Member
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road
 
NRJIZED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Family is in AZ, I'm in Korea
Posts: 162

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
This is the most my intelligence has been insulted in such a long time. I know literally everything you just said. You should probably not assume that I dont know anything... pretty rude.

Regardless of what you think, wikipedia IS a good source of facts. Lets test it out, shall we? When was George Washington born? WOA! Its correct! Imagine that! Ive cited wikipedia on so many research papers throughout college with no problems. If college professors are comfortable letting students quite Wiki, Id have to assume its a good source. There is software that automatically double checks every entry of text changed on Wiki. If you think Wiki is a bad place for facts, try and find me ONE single fact that isnt true on Wiki... Im talking about FACTS like history for example.

What the hell is this crap? Theres a difference in being an *******, and trying to resolve an argument like an adult. You must be pretty young, otherwise youd have to be the most immature adult Ive ever conversed with on a forum.
I never said Wiki is a lie. I was saying that much of the stuff on there can be altered by us mere mortals, so it can still be stated but might not have proof to be found to verify its accuracy.

You said you knew pretty much everything I wrote in there, then why the hell would you "trust" what a manufacturer states is considered a CAI? If you knew this then you wouldn't automatically assume what they wrote as correct. Stuff like that gets sold on Eghey all the time. Some chip that claims to save eleventy billion miles per gallon and add 1000 rear wheel hp. But you're smart enough to know that's impossible right? Then why would you argue that an intake that is barely 1.5 ft long with now way of isolating it from engine bay temps be considered a CAI simply because the manufacturer's web site categorized it as a CAI?

By the way, I'm 35. I'm finishing a college degree in Applied Sciences. I work on $200,000 gun systems, precision guidance weapons systems, and $30 Million aircraft. Far from stupid. I just dumbed my text down for you because you seemed to talk out your butt like so many that come on these forums asking questions, but refuse to listen to reason when someone with an inkling of knowledge cares to share.

Oh, try to proofread and spell check too. That helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #50
cverstij
Member
cverstij is on a distinguished road
 
cverstij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 371
 

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
to be fair, the air on the stock intake is being taken from outside the engine bay if you follow the piping down thru to the bong that is removed by the process outlined in this thread.

again, this "how-to" is merely outlining a way to remove a restriction, and get some better sound.

So, are you stating that the stock set up is a CAI? (not challenging, just asking...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #51
XR524
Member
XR524 is on a distinguished road
 
XR524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 432

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post
I never said Wiki is a lie. I was saying that much of the stuff on there can be altered by us mere mortals, so it can still be stated but might not have proof to be found to verify its accuracy.

You said you knew pretty much everything I wrote in there, then why the hell would you "trust" what a manufacturer states is considered a CAI? If you knew this then you wouldn't automatically assume what they wrote as correct. Stuff like that gets sold on Eghey all the time. Some chip that claims to save eleventy billion miles per gallon and add 1000 rear wheel hp. But you're smart enough to know that's impossible right? Then why would you argue that an intake that is barely 1.5 ft long with now way of isolating it from engine bay temps be considered a CAI simply because the manufacturer's web site categorized it as a CAI?

By the way, I'm 35. I'm finishing a college degree in Applied Sciences. I work on $200,000 gun systems, precision guidance weapons systems, and $30 Million aircraft. Far from stupid. I just dumbed my text down for you because you seemed to talk out your butt like so many that come on these forums asking questions, but refuse to listen to reason when someone with an inkling of knowledge cares to share.

Oh, try to proofread and spell check too. That helps.
Proofread? Spellcheck? Look who's talking. You had several grammatical errors, hypocrite *********. You think youre right about everything. Well you're just not. Sorry to burst your ego bubble.

You're wrong about Wiki. ANY change in text on ANY Wiki page is checked for accuracy within the minute it is changed. And if technical verification cannot be found, the entry/change is removed immediately. I know because Im a part time web developer and I helped create software that is very similar to what Wiki uses. Oh and by the way, your profession doesn't prove your intelligence. My buddies Uncle does what you do and he's a complete dumb*****.

I know all about the ebay scams, a LOT more than you will lever know. I can promise you that. I know whats fake and whats real. You know, you're cockiness makes you assume that everyone you talk to is inferior. That's really unhealthy. I feel very sorry for you.

WHY would K&N lie? Why would JDM Lie? Why would AEM lie? Of course Im going to believe their product descriptions, because their descriptions reassure what Ive already learned about intakes in the past 15 years, plus the recent research Ive done. I think youve just been misinformed about a lot of things all along. Not my fault. Oh and a shroud does not shield hot air from the air filter. Its supposed to, but it doesnt. Ive had mechanic friends do lots of testing. Shrouds are useless. The benefit of heat shields are so miniscule, it isnt even a noticeable difference in performance.

"Then why would you argue that an intake that is barely 1.5 ft long with now way of isolating it from engine bay temps be considered a CAI simply because the manufacturer's web site categorized it as a CAI?"

If you read my posts before, I clearly explained that. CAIs DONT always LITERALLY mean COLD air intake. It can mean more, cooler, and warmer air. I've checked this out with lots of research. The bottom line, that Ive said over and over, and checked tons of sites for accuracy, is NOT ALL COLD AIR INTAKE KITS GET THEIR AIR INTAKE FROM OUTSIDE THE ENGINE BAY. If you choose not to believe that, research it like I did.

Youre probably the most immature 35 year old I've ever encountered...cocky and arrogant too.

Last edited by XR524; 10-10-2008 at 02:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #52
XR524
Member
XR524 is on a distinguished road
 
XR524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 432

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post
An SRI has no shroud. Some manufacturers make an intake and put a shield around it to force it to take from places such as behind a headlight. The shield prevents. the intake from grabbing engine bay air. Hence CAI. Since you want to quote K&N, go to their site and search for "Typhoon". Now that is a true CAI. The filter is literally inside the fender. No engine air is accessible there. I have that on my IRL.

Fail! Try again.....
Uhh, yes they can. You can most definitely add a shroud/heat shield to a short ram intake setup. I did on my previous vehicle, as well as several other friend's cars. That didnt make my instake a CAI though. According to you, you can just tack on a heat shield to an aftermarket conical filter to get a CAI. You have the entire concept of CAI wrong.

The Typhoon, which Ive already looked into by the way, is one example of a CAI that DOES get it air from outside the engine bay.

Fail? nope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #53
XR524
Member
XR524 is on a distinguished road
 
XR524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 432

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post

By the way, I'm 35. I'm finishing a college degree in Applied Sciences.

Thats sad.

Try finishing college with two bachelors degrees before youre 22...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #54
NRJIZED
Member
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road
 
NRJIZED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Family is in AZ, I'm in Korea
Posts: 162

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
Proofread? Spellcheck? Look who's talking. You had several grammatical errors, hypocrite *********. You think youre right about everything. Well you're just not. Sorry to burst your ego bubble.

You're wrong about Wiki. ANY change in text on ANY Wiki page is checked for accuracy within the minute it is changed. And if technical verification cannot be found, the entry/change is removed immediately. I know because Im a part time web developer and I helped create software that is very similar to what Wiki uses. Oh and by the way, your profession doesn't prove your intelligence. My buddies Uncle does what you do and he's a complete dumb*****.

I know all about the ebay scams, a LOT more than you will lever know. I can promise you that. I know whats fake and whats real. You know, you're cockiness makes you assume that everyone you talk to is inferior. That's really unhealthy. I feel very sorry for you.

WHY would K&N lie? Why would JDM Lie? Why would AEM lie? Of course Im going to believe their product descriptions, because their descriptions reassure what Ive already learned about intakes in the past 15 years, plus the recent research Ive done. I think youve just been misinformed about a lot of things all along. Not my fault. Oh and a shroud does not shield hot air from the air filter. Its supposed to, but it doesnt. Ive had mechanic friends do lots of testing. Shrouds are useless. The benefit of heat shields are so miniscule, it isnt even a noticeable difference in performance.

"Then why would you argue that an intake that is barely 1.5 ft long with now way of isolating it from engine bay temps be considered a CAI simply because the manufacturer's web site categorized it as a CAI?"

If you read my posts before, I clearly explained that. CAIs DONT always LITERALLY mean COLD air intake. It can mean more, cooler, and warmer air. I've checked this out with lots of research. The bottom line, that Ive said over and over, and checked tons of sites for accuracy, is NOT ALL COLD AIR INTAKE KITS GET THEIR AIR INTAKE FROM OUTSIDE THE ENGINE BAY. If you choose not to believe that, research it like I did.

Youre probably the most immature 35 year old I've ever encountered...cocky and arrogant too.
Wow, all you got is "if I am then you are too!" I looked over my posts and didn't find any grammatical errors that I didn't intentionally put in there (like Eghey). Yours, on the other hand.....posts 29, 34, 36, 38, 46, 47. Littered with misspells and lack of punctuation. But I digress (that means I got off topic).

I never claimed I was right about everything either. Logic would dictate that a shroud is entirely POINTLESS on an SRI if it's still in the engine bay right next to the heat-producing device. What are you shrouding it from, then?

You're wrong about Wiki. ANY change in text on ANY Wiki page is checked for accuracy within the minute it is changed. And if technical verification cannot be found, the entry/change is removed immediately. Who gives a flying monkey's butt that you are a "part-time web developer". I've referenced several pages where something was written in there but required a citation to verify its accuracy. Still written, but they disclaim they can't verify it. So, with that said, your comment is moot (that means debatable).

Now as far as insulting my profession; that was a bit below the belt. Just because your buddy's dad is stupid yet does the same job doesn't mean anything. The military doesn't give you a job based on your intelligence. I knew NOTHING about airframes or weapons systems the day I got the job. But I was able to learn it. Just because he is stupid and does the same job just means he was lucky enough to have supervisors that never weeded him out of the career field. So leave my job out of this. You want to start slinging stupid stuff like that, you play with computers all day and I learned how to blow stuff up. So who has more fun now? Explosives>computers any day!

WHY would K&N lie? Why would JDM Lie? Why would AEM lie? I also never said K&N, JDM, or AEM lied. They were selling their product. I've you're not smart enough to see through the sales tactic, that's your problem. Just like so many other companies that have the best shampoo, the best laundry detergent, the most comfortable bed mattress. There's little to no proof to support their claims, yet people still buy their stuff.

I know all about the ebay scams, a LOT more than you will lever know. I can promise you that. That's because you've probably been scammed before because you're too stupid to see through it.

Oh and a shroud does not shield hot air from the air filter. Its supposed to, but it doesnt. Another stupid retort. If you want to fact check me, feel free. I owned a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII (that's Roman numeral 8). The intake was also built very similarly to the Aura intake. It had a restrictive bong in the passenger side fender well. I removed the entire intake box and left the intake tube attached and put an aftermarket MAF sensor housing and cone filter on it. I also had a heat shield, which was manufactured by a company sponsored on Markviii.org, added to it. The shroud was made of 6061 aircraft grade aluminum and had a rubber seal placed along the top edge to seal the top against the underside of the hood. It was very similar in design to many of the shrouded intake systems on the market today. What sold me on getting it was the photos that the manufacturer put on their advertisement. A thermometer was put right under the filter without the shroud and driven at operating temperature for a significant amount of time. The temps were rather high; something like 95 or 100 degrees (it was in the 50's the morning they did this. Then they installed the shroud and performed the same test for the same length of time and the temps never got more than 5 degrees warmer than ambient temps. Did it prove effective? You bet. Did it enhance the car's ability to perform? You bet. Now that was a V8. The Aura is a V6. Will there be a significant difference in performance? I honestly doubt it. The V6 in the Aura makes nearly the same horsepower ratings that the stock V8 did in the Mark VIII. So I would lean towards a shroud or true CAI over an SRI any day of the week.

The research you did was flawed from the beginning if you started with the premise that CAI's don't always get their air from outside the engine bay. If it uses under-hood air for the intake, it's not a CAI; plain and simple.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #55
NRJIZED
Member
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road
 
NRJIZED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Family is in AZ, I'm in Korea
Posts: 162

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
Thats sad.

Try finishing college with two bachelors degrees before youre 22...
Another below the belt. You're lucky we're not face to face right now. I'd perform a rectal-cranial inversion on you right now! You're 22 with 2 degrees. Great! Wonderful! Doesn't mean you're intelligent. You might be smart, but fail at intelligence. Some of us weren't lucky enough to have family with money to pay for our education. Some of us weren't lucky enough to get a grant either. Some of us had to start working the moment they left home in order to survive. I immediately chose a profession I love doing every day. Yes, military is a profession. I am a master at arms if you want to challenge me. I am currently working 50-60 hours a week (sometimes weekends) in a foreign country away from my 2 kids, wife, dog, car, and home. I have to see my family through a computer monitor. I am also cramming an education in there between work, emails to my family and sleep. My degree will be in weapons systems technology and can also lead to a business management degree since I've been to management classes and currently manage a work shop of 30 people with varying degrees of training. So if you want to sit there and belittle me because I've got 13 years on you and still working on my education, you can take your 2 degrees, shove them in your left ear and take a long walk off a short cliff. Don't come in here and share that you tried what the OP did to his car and then arrogantly state that it was pointless, in so many words, and then argue with poor preparation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #56
NRJIZED
Member
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road
 
NRJIZED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Family is in AZ, I'm in Korea
Posts: 162

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Sorry, BC, for tearing up your thread. This little pup needed a good flogging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #57
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough
 
bc3tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,425
 

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Happy Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cverstij View Post
So, are you stating that the stock set up is a CAI? (not challenging, just asking...)
it is, in fact - and most stock air systems are. they are just stymied by things like resonator bongs, flex bends (accordion tubing), and paper filters. so doing what you can to rid the intake path of these yields better results. hence this thread outlining the removal of the bong, and talking about swapping out the filter for a wire mesh version.

...
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #58
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road
 
Kooler King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 869
 

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

No reported gains in HP, no reported gains in MPG, maybe a change in sound, maybe no change in sound however, definitely scraped knuckles and hurt feelings reported ... what's the point in this mod?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #59
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough
 
bc3tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,425
 

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Roll Eyes Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
No reported gains in HP, no reported gains in MPG, maybe a change in sound, maybe no change in sound however, definitely scraped knuckles and hurt feelings reported ... what's the point in this mod?
to make you ask questions

w00t. i win.

...
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #60
CptMatt
Member
CptMatt is on a distinguished road
 
CptMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 357

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

I pulled mine this past weekend, when my brother in-law put new front brakes on. After everything was put back together and I started it, it definitely had a deeper sound. My brother in-law noticed it, too. He said it almost sounded like a V8 now.

I have noticed a little difference in the throttle response, especially in the gravel lot at work. My usual gas pedal pressure to take off now spins the wheels a little on gravel.

So for me, the resonator removal was a nice touch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vue resonator delete joaca 2008 Vue 6 01-13-2009 11:55 AM
intake resonator mkapp S-Series General 5 01-01-2006 12:58 AM
Air intake..."bong or no bong" 05vueblue Vue General 2 09-11-2005 12:59 PM
Took off the intake resonator... Rob1998SL2 Mods and Performance 16 06-29-2003 08:20 PM
intake resonator ProFighterQ Ion General 3 03-26-2003 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.