SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
.kevin.
.kevin. is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Brake master cylinder.

Alright, well if anyone wants to learn about brakes and learn from my problems, they can most likely search all my threads. So this has been an on going thing for about 3-4 weeks now.

I replaced the drivers side caliper because the pivot bolt broke off. Upon replacing, the fluid in the line emptied. I then tried to bleed the brakes and the preasure was still sub-par.

Now fast forward to today. I went out to bleed them again thinking I may have missed something and their is still air in the system. So myself and another individual used the one man bleeder kit, having one person pump, and one watching the hose to see when the air was all the way out. I went through a quart of fluid for ONE line and I am still getting air every pump. I am not talking about little bubbles either, I mean these are like half inch portions of the hose if full of air each pump.

So my conclusion is nothing. Is my master cylinder shot then? I find it hard to believe I need to flush MORE than a qt. of fluid through one line to get the air out of it.

Thanks!!

dd-97 Saturn SL1 120k
Weekend warrior- 2005 Yamaha R6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to .kevin.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help .kevin. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
.kevin. is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Brake master cylinder.

I assume you are keeping the master cyl full the whole time?

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
.kevin.

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
I assume you are keeping the master cyl full the whole time?
Yes. So I was talking to the guy in Napa and he explained that I should try it the old fashion way by having one person work the bleeder valve and one the pedal. I tried that way. The front two and the drivers rear all came out good, no large bubbles or air. Now the rear one is still spitting large bubbles out. So I think I can assume it's not the master cyl.? I want to figure this out badly as I have NEVER taken a car to a shop to be fixed.

dd-97 Saturn SL1 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help .kevin. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Is it a rear disk or drum brake?

When bleeding brakes it is best to pump up the system and then crack the bleeder screw while holding pressure on the pedal. Close screw before the pedal hits the floor. Allow the pedal to return slowly so as not to suck air past the seals. With 2 people one can work the pedal by hand which helps also. If you let the pedal fly back under spring pressure from all the way down sucking in air is not uncommon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Readddd:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...edbrakes.shtml

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
.kevin.

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post

I understand how to bleed the brakes. Like I said all the other three came out fine. The pass. rear was the one with constant air..... Could the piston in the rear drum be letting air in the system?

dd-97 Saturn SL1 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try Googling for images of the brake system, any system as they're all the same for a car. When you bleed brakes most directions say to open the bleed valves about a quarter turn from lock position; anymore turning may allow air in behind the bleeder itself giving a false impression that there's air in the brake line. Some instructions say to use some Teflon tape wrapped around the bleeder, not for sealing but to lessen the chances of air being pulled in as fluid is bled out. Is it possible that you're opening the bleeder too much? If in doubt you can always replace the bleed valve. Just prop up the brake pedal (to prevent it from falling by its own weight and applying brake pressure) remove the bleed screw, plug the opening with something like a rolled up napkin so the fluid won't drain out, and match a replacement at the auto store. Before you run to the store make sure the brake pedal doesn't move otherwise when you come back you'll find fluid dripping out the open brake cylinder!? The napkin just holds back fluid from flowing but will easily pop out at the slightest application of brake pressure.

BTW, from your last post you're describing the passenger side rear along with the driver's front caliper that was replaced. This is one half of the brake system, if I'm not mistaken, so the brake line in question covers just this side. You won't have to worry about the other half, just concentrate on the one line feeding from the master to the R-R and L-F.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Hate to tell you this now, but NOTHING was wrong with your caliper, or anything hydraulic. When the pivot pin breaks, it breaks off in the BRACKET. You could've remove the caliper, hung it up, removed the bracket and replaced it, gotten some hew pins, put the caliper back on the bracket and been on your way (guess how I know this...).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Bench bleed the master cylinder before bleeding the wheels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
.kevin.

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Hate to tell you this now, but NOTHING was wrong with your caliper, or anything hydraulic. When the pivot pin breaks, it breaks off in the BRACKET. You could've remove the caliper, hung it up, removed the bracket and replaced it, gotten some hew pins, put the caliper back on the bracket and been on your way (guess how I know this...).
I knew this right off the bat. The bracket shipped was 22$ I believe and I got a caliper from NAPA for 40 - my $2 coupon. So I figured what the heck because you have to buy a new pin bolt and then the rubber boot that surrounds it. So the diff. ended up being only a few dollars.

Fdryer- I think what you are saying was my problem. I mentioned that to the person helping me bleed the brakes as I did not know if the screw was opened more if air was allowed in. I was turing the screw maybe half way to 3/4 of a way, so that most likely was it. The brakes are tight, but the pedal just goes down far and it is not spongy. I guess I am used to the s2000's supurb brakes that it makes me question these.

Gerry Proctor- Why would I bench bleed the master cyl.? I never let it run dry nor did I replace it.

dd-97 Saturn SL1 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .kevin. View Post
I knew this right off the bat. The bracket shipped was 22$ I believe and I got a caliper from NAPA for 40 - my $2 coupon. So I figured what the heck because you have to buy a new pin bolt and then the rubber boot that surrounds it. So the diff. ended up being only a few dollars.
Yup, I found only ONE place that the bracket stand-alone. Most stores only had the "caliper with bracket". Still, if I only had that choice, I woulda swapped in the bracket, and held onto the caliper for a "rainy day", or sold it on the classifieds here, for the express purpose of avoiding opening up the hydraulics ("if it ain't broke...").

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote