SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
brubro
brubro is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Question Add cruise control to 2002 SL1?

Hello,

I just bought a 2002 Saturn SL1, manual tranny, for commuting. Great car so far! The only thing that I wish the car came with is cruise control.

Any sage advice about adding either a stock or good aftermarket cruise control unit? Do I need anything special (other than the basic components)? I read that it might require a computer reprogram from the dealer. I'm definitely going to add CC, so any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone added cruise to the same model/year family that can give advice? More importantly, I guess, should this be in technical???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brubro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brubro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brubro is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Add cruise control to 2002 SL1?

here's a link that might help but it's for 96-99 s series yours could be simular

http://saturnseries.net/DIY%20Guides...0NonCruise.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
brubro

2002 SC1

Thanks!

This sort of detailed info is tricky to find. I've got to get a good repair manual next.

On that thought, what's the deal with the plastic ECTS sensor? Are all Saturns equipped with them? More importantly, (for me!) did my 2002 SL1 have a plastic ECTS from the factory? Can you tell externally if it is the brass updated sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brubro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Your 2002 came with a Brass ECTS so your good to go

Also, IIRC you need an entire steering wheel that has the CC options on it (unlike the video where you can add it on the side). Look for posts by Barnowl or PM him as he has put CC in a 3rd gen successfully.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
brubro

2002 SC1

Thanks for the info! The need for the correct steering wheel should certainly add to the overall price and difficulty in finding it! Oh well, that's how it goes. I'll start combing junkyards and hope to get lucky soon.

I also appreciate the info on the sensor. Little details like that are hard to find, definitively. I've worked on cars for many years, know how to do research, etc., but details like this are just best left to people who have experience with it.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Millhouse
Millhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

when I got my 2001 SC1 auto a couple months ago, it was what I wanted except it didn't have cruise. I asked how much for them (A Saturn dealer) would charge to add it. They told me it was pretty much set up to do it, add some parts and its plug and play. It was also gonna be $500 dollars, so I didn't get it done. So maybe you could get the parts and do it yourself? and save $$$$

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Millhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Millhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Millhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
samsr
samsr is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SC2

I got my cruise control going on my 2000. Here is the link.http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...cruise+control
Was'nt too bad to accomplish, The hardest part to find was the steering wheel. I also had to get the ecm reflashed for cruise controll however. This was the most expensive part. You can do it yourself for way under the dealers 500 quote.

15 S-series put back on the road.
Now working on a 2000 LW2 v6 auto. Timing belt, 2 intake valves and more getting discovered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
brubro

2002 SC1

Thanks everyone for the info!

I'm now on the search for the items needed. Wish me luck...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Make sure that you have the contector for the cruise module in the wiring harness by the steering column base. They got stiny in 2000-2002 with them. If you don't have the connector you can't add cruise.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
brubro

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Make sure that you have the contector for the cruise module in the wiring harness by the steering column base. They got stiny in 2000-2002 with them. If you don't have the connector you can't add cruise.
Thanks for that detail!

Can you give me more info on what it looks like, # of wires, colors, photos, etc.? Anotherwords, might I mistake some other unused connector for the cruise control one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
SkippyThorson
SkippyThorson is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Instead of making a new thread, I'll revisit this one.

My goal is to add all of the little options I wanted that weren't gotten from the dealer when it was bought new. The only things I don't want are the DOHC (the efficiency of the SOHC is awesome) and the power locks / windows. (I love my manual window cranks in the Winter, when nothing freezes - like our old Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler New Yorker did, and our new Ford Fusion does now.)

All of the things in my sig are done except for the fog lights, which I'm just waiting to do until Winter is over. No sense putting them in now when I'd just take them out so they don't get destroyed in the foot of snow that stays for months.

Next on my list (and I think that'll be the last thing missing) is Cruise Control. As mentioned above, the controls in the 3rd gen are basically where the mechanical horn buttons are on the 1st and 2nd generations. I believe all else is the same. Like the Fog Light project, I'm wondering what Saturn already installed versus what I may need to get - aside from the steering wheel.

That Richpin video is a HUGE help, like everything else he does. I wouldn't have half of the confidence I do now had he not shared his wisdom!

02 SL1 - Blue, 121K, Used - 6/25/14
02 SL1 - Blue, 70K, Bought New, Wrecked*
02 SL -- Blue, Parts Car, Sold
95 SL2 - Gold, 163K, Sold
*saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173764

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkippyThorson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkippyThorson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SkippyThorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
trampled1
trampled1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
1996 SL

A friend of mine added cruise control to his 1997 sc1 using the same stearing wheel. He told me to take a peice of card board, like a note card, to a junk yard and make a template out of a donor steering wheel with cruise. All he had to do was trim the plastic on his existing steering wheel using a dry wall saw and the template. Save him big bucks not having to buy a steering wheel and the puller to get it off. He did have to have the dealership repogram the computer, but that was it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trampled1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trampled1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trampled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampled1 View Post
A friend of mine added cruise control to his 1997 sc1 using the same stearing wheel. He told me to take a peice of card board, like a note card, to a junk yard and make a template out of a donor steering wheel with cruise. All he had to do was trim the plastic on his existing steering wheel using a dry wall saw and the template. Save him big bucks not having to buy a steering wheel and the puller to get it off. He did have to have the dealership repogram the computer, but that was it.
Third gen saturns(2000-2002) has the cruise control buttons built into the steering wheel unlike the second gen, where we had the pods.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
1979lee
1979lee will become famous soon enough1979lee will become famous soon enough

2000 SL1

So my 00 sl1 dosent have cc. BUT i have all the wires and in the fuse panel i have a 10 amp fuse in the crusie spot.

so if i get the wheel and the module. all i need is the cpu programmed right?
can i get a used cpu from a doner car that has cruise insted of the programming?

thanks.

Gold 2000 SL1 Auto, A/C 112k
Build Date: 1999-09-29

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1979lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1979lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1979lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979lee View Post
so if i get the wheel and the module. all i need is the cpu programmed right?
Right
Quote:
can i get a used cpu from a doner car that has cruise insted of the programming?
Will also work, if you choose the right donor car. It also has to be 2000-2002, and it has to match your existing options exactly (except for crusise, of course ) if you want to avoid warning lights or other problems:

Power steering
AC
Transmission type
ABS
Remote keyless entry
SOHC engine

I think you have to do something to "introduce" the new PCM to the BCM - you can search or someone that knows more about 3rd gen cars can chime in (this would be done by the dealer if programming the PCM)

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
1979lee

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Right Will also work, if you choose the right donor car. It also has to be 2000-2002, and it has to match your existing options exactly (except for crusise, of course ) if you want to avoid warning lights or other problems:

Power steering
AC
Transmission type
ABS
Remote keyless entry
SOHC engine

I think you have to do something to "introduce" the new PCM to the BCM - you can search or someone that knows more about 3rd gen cars can chime in (this would be done by the dealer if programming the PCM)

that's what I needed to know, thanks

its going to be hard to find a 2000-2002 sl1 with cruise and no power locks or windows or cd player or remote entry, cause i ain't got em...
so its the dealer. like any gm dealer who can flash my car's cpu?
i think it would be simpler to do that, than finding an exact no option sl1 like mine

thanks all. sorry to the op for the thread hijack!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1979lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979lee View Post
its going to be hard to find a 2000-2002 sl1 with cruise and no power locks or windows or cd player or remote entry, cause i ain't got em...
I don't know if you'd get codes if the PCM has RKE enabled and you don't, sorry I don't have details. Actually - you probably want to search. I think with the 3rd gen, some of that got moved to the BCM... the PCM info I posted is for 2nd gens

I don't think AC in the new PCM is an issue if you don't have it - I think all it does is turn the fan on, if the AC button is pushed, temp is below ~40F and speed is below.... I dunno, 20~40 mph? It's only a problem if your car has it and the PCM does not, could cause overheating because the PCM won't trigger the fan

Power windows or CD player won't make a difference.

Antilock brakes will, but it's probably rare on SOHC cars (doesn't matter if you pull the PCM from a coupe or wagon as long as the engine is the same, not sure if a wagon PCM will be a problem... wagons might have a liftgate sensor?)
Quote:
so its the dealer. like any gm dealer who can flash my car's cpu?
i think it would be simpler to do that, than finding an exact no option sl1 like mine
Best bet would be to find a former Saturn dealer who still has the equipment and someone that used to work on Saturns.

If you look at some of the other cruise threads, a lot of the 'official' Saturn service places (GM dealers who probably paid to get the 'official' status) have no clue about these cars. I had mine turned on by a Hyundai dealer who used to be the Saturn dealer, not sure if your 3rd gen needs to be through an official Saturn repair place or not

Quote:
thanks all. sorry to the op for the thread hijack!
The OP is 5 years ago, probably not worried about being hijacked

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
1979lee

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I don't know if you'd get codes if the PCM has RKE enabled and you don't, sorry I don't have details. Actually - you probably want to search. I think with the 3rd gen, some of that got moved to the BCM... the PCM info I posted is for 2nd gens

I don't think AC in the new PCM is an issue if you don't have it - I think all it does is turn the fan on, if the AC button is pushed, temp is below ~40F and speed is below.... I dunno, 20~40 mph? It's only a problem if your car has it and the PCM does not, could cause overheating because the PCM won't trigger the fan

Power windows or CD player won't make a difference.

Antilock brakes will, but it's probably rare on SOHC cars (doesn't matter if you pull the PCM from a coupe or wagon as long as the engine is the same, not sure if a wagon PCM will be a problem... wagons might have a liftgate sensor?)
Best bet would be to find a former Saturn dealer who still has the equipment and someone that used to work on Saturns.

If you look at some of the other cruise threads, a lot of the 'official' Saturn service places (GM dealers who probably paid to get the 'official' status) have no clue about these cars. I had mine turned on by a Hyundai dealer who used to be the Saturn dealer, not sure if your 3rd gen needs to be through an official Saturn repair place or not

The OP is 5 years ago, probably not worried about being hijacked
Thank you for your kind info. id really like for this car to have cruise. so sometime im gonna hit the junkyard and get the parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!