SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
r6jon
r6jon is on a distinguished road

Default Performance Software for 3.6L VVT?

Hi all! I'm new here. Got married, got a "family" car.

To make a long story short, can the "missing" hp from the VUE version of the 3.6L VVT engine be reclaimed by engine software upgrades?

I'm new to saturn and GM, can anybody tell me who the front running software tuners are?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to r6jon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help r6jon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
r6jon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Performance Software for 3.6L VVT?

Westers Garage is the only one offering ECM recalibration as far as I know.
http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/index2.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

I wouldn't expect that you'd see much gain from tuning the ECM on a normally aspirated engine. You might be able to tweak the fuel maps and timing a bit (which means you'd need to buy premium gas instead of regular) for a very low single digit percentage bump in peak output. I doubt that would translate to any perceptible difference on your butt dyno though.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

See I've been curious about this for awhle. Seems odd to me that the Lamda trio can achieve 270hp-275hp (depending on single or dual exhaust) out of the same engine and tranny combo, over the 3.6L vue.

Check to see if HPtuners (http://www.hptuners.com) or SCT Flash (http://www.sctflash.com) have any options for ECM tuning.

I'd be curious to find out the results myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
I wouldn't expect that you'd see much gain from tuning the ECM on a normally aspirated engine. You might be able to tweak the fuel maps and timing a bit (which means you'd need to buy premium gas instead of regular) for a very low single digit percentage bump in peak output. I doubt that would translate to any perceptible difference on your butt dyno though.

Cheers,
The Pontiac 3.6 cars are gaining 18 -20 rear wheel HP with a recalibration. That's not the only benefit. The granny controls (1-2 shift retard etc.) are also eliminated making the car a lot more enjoyable to drive. The Wester programs offer dual fuel mapping giving you the option to run 87 or 92 fuel.
20 HP with full throttle shifting is quite noticeable.
I'll report further on this once I have mine recalibrated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
r6jon

I agree, typically a performance "chip" does not yeild that much horsepower on a normally asperated engine, but unless I'm mistaken, this same exact engine is making 304hp on the new Cadillac CTS.

Are there different bulids of this engine? Or could it possibly all be attributed to the intake and exhaust systems?

My VUE does have dual exhaust, and the pipes looked pretty beefy when I neeled next to the car before buying it. I haven't gotten a chance to really get under there yet.

As far as the intake goes, if it's only the air box that's different, c'mon now... There's a 50 hp difference there. I'm hoping it's all software.

As far as my unconfirmed knowledge goes, GM regularly tunes their engines to suit the charancteristcs of the vehicles they are for correct?

I really hope there's a lot of ponies in there waiting to be unleashed with a simple tune.... More to come I hope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help r6jon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6jon View Post
I agree, typically a performance "chip" does not yeild that much horsepower on a normally asperated engine, but unless I'm mistaken, this same exact engine is making 304hp on the new Cadillac CTS.

Are there different bulids of this engine? Or could it possibly all be attributed to the intake and exhaust systems?
The intake and exhausts do a make a difference, even in stock configuration maybe 5 ~ 10HP, but I suspect the engine is also purposely de-tuned, e.g. rev limited, for light vehicle applications and to differentiate the HP from that in more expensive models. Is that 15 ~ 20HP? I guess the chip tuners will find out.

With that being said, I believe the Cadillac version of the engine uses direct injection to get that extra HP (and some fuel economy). This is a rather expensive fuel management system, so, unfortunately, this probably won't find its way down into a Saturn unless the need for better MPG force GM to use it more widely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
OGC5
OGC5 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Information Re: Performance Software for 3.6L VVT?

Late Model GM vehicles do not use a "Chip" but can be modified via the OBDII connection that is used by the Dealer to reset scan codes ect. The Computer can be reset to do many things including fuel mixture, shift points, engine RPM limits and many other things. I have a Diablo Predator hand held for my 2000 Corvette which is a pretty good unit. There are also Windows software programs available for Corvettes that allow an edit and then Flash to the PCM.
I am still investigating what Systems are available for our 3.6 Vue but have replaced the stock Air Filter with a K&N, the VUE uses a dual outlet Muffler like the Camaro and does not have a true dual exaust system. However the exaust pipe is fairly large. The CTS engine has direct Injection and upgraded performance software. I am awaiting more results from Hand-Filer but as he stated 20 more hp and better shifting could resonably be expected. No real increase in fuel consumption as long as the right foot is light!
OGC5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OGC5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OGC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
r6jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
With that being said, I believe the Cadillac version of the engine uses direct injection to get that extra HP (and some fuel economy). This is a rather expensive fuel management system, so, unfortunately, this probably won't find its way down into a Saturn unless the need for better MPG force GM to use it more widely.
Wait a minute... I thought the VUE XR did have Direct Injection... That would certainly explain some of the HP difference.

I've been trying to find more informaton about the VUE's 3.6L VVT motor now, and I can't find anything to say it's direct injected or not. Can anyone confirm this on paper?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6jon View Post
Wait a minute... I thought the VUE XR did have Direct Injection... That would certainly explain some of the HP difference.

I've been trying to find more informaton about the VUE's 3.6L VVT motor now, and I can't find anything to say it's direct injected or not. Can anyone confirm this on paper?
The 3.6L in the Vue does not use direct injection so it can't be compared to the upper model Caddy's. If you want to compare HP numbers, its comparable and should fully be able to achieve anything the 3.6L Malibu, Aura, Equinox Sport/Torrent GXP, as well as the Lambda triplets (Outlook, Acadia, Enclave MY08 and earlier), etc. can do. With that said, the 3.6L in the Vue should be able to put out the rougly 275hp that the Lamba triplets currently achieve today in stock form with some modifications and tuning.

The 2-mode Vue MY09 will have a 3.6L DI engine tuned for economy instead of performance.

For confirmation, visit gm.com.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...2008/08car.htm

FYI, the Vue XR/RL trims use the LY7 engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
r6jon

GREAT info on that site, thanks a bunch!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
BowtieBoy
BowtieBoy is on a distinguished road

The 3.6 in the Vue is the basically the same as the first generation 3.6L as it debuted in the Caddy CTS several years back. There are 2 reasons the Lamda Trio makes ~20more HP. 1) As someone else already has stated, the intake and exhaust systems are higher flowing. The larger diminsions in every area allow for better packaging. 2) The main reason: the Lamda trio has different cylinder heads. The ports (int and exh) are reworked for more flow, and they also have different cams to take full advantage of the better port flow.

I used to have a G6, and some of those guys on the G6performance.com forum that have GXPs with the 3.6 were talking about scavenging a set of Outlook/Acadia/Enclave heads from a totalled car at a junkyard or something like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BowtieBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BowtieBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BowtieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote