SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default "Service Traction" - "Service ESC" comes up

My '07 XR just passed 13,000 miles. As I was driving in the 102 degree heat here in North Carolina earlier today, I heard a chime and the DIC displayed "Service Traction" and the "TC" symbol came up with the slash through it. Then it dinged again and displayed "Service ESC" and the ABS warning came up. I pushed the Traction Control button but nothing happened.

Anybody know what's going on? It appears that I need service, but on what? I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car new in July '07. Is this going to cost me something? Is it part of a recall? Has any of you had this on your Aura? TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
mrwerner22
mrwerner22 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: "Service Traction" - "Service ESC" comes up

it happened to me once but instead of being hot it was really cold. but once i turned it off and turned it back on they went away and everything was good... so im not sure.

2007 Aura XR... NICE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrwerner22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrwerner22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrwerner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Sounds like a speed sensor went bad, there is one at each of the wheels. If one sends an odd signal to the computer, it shuts the whole system down and you get the service esc message. It will be covered under warranty, just take it in and have them look at it!

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Tom-ADC
Tom-ADC is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: "Service Traction" - "Service ESC" comes up

Just went through a "Reduced engine power & Service Traction" problem happened twice car would barely run, they replaced the Electronic throttle positioner if I remember correctly.
Guess what it happened again this morning was coming back from a coffee with the guys things and barely had enough power to make it home, so its off to the dealer again, last repair lasted about 180 miles

2007 Aura XE 3.5
1969 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge D-100 shortbed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom-ADC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom-ADC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom-ADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
billwill

2007 AURA XR

Saturn service found that a wire going to the right front speed sensor had come loose. They replaced it as well as the wheel bearing since the wire had been rubbing against the bearing and they didn't want to take a chance the bearing might be damaged in some way. All under warranty... everything's back to normal. Can't beat my Saturn dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Tom-ADC
Tom-ADC is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Post Re: "Service Traction" - "Service ESC" comes up

got mine back yesterday, dealer says they replaced the engine computer but they didn't have the paper work ready so they just gave us the keys and said they would mail the paper work to us.
Soon as it gets here I'll know what was actually replaced. BTW car has 3001 miles on it since November 2007.

2007 Aura XE 3.5
1969 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge D-100 shortbed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom-ADC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom-ADC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom-ADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
billwill

2007 AURA XR

My Saturn Service Manager said whenever a wheel speed sensor "goes bad," it causes the ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) warning light to come on as well as the Traction Control warning and Electronic Stability Control warning... whew.

Does anyone know if, when the ABS warning light comes on, the ABS is totally disabled and you have only standard braking? I don't drive fast enough in conditions (hopefully) to need ABS but would like to know; I forgot to ask the Saturn guy. TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
circlotron
circlotron is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I just had a MAP sensor replaced for this fault. The "Service Traction/Service ESC" would occur and then clear on the next ignition cycle. The engine control computer was replaced last year for the same fault. It wasn't happening often so the dealer put a data recorder in the car and I drove it for a week to capture more fault data.

I hope they really got it this time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to circlotron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help circlotron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
circlotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

abs light on. abs off. cant risk running it with a problem as it could be dangerous. my aura had a brake fluid leak which also trigerred traction control and esc light because of low brake fluid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
My Saturn Service Manager said whenever a wheel speed sensor "goes bad," it causes the ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) warning light to come on as well as the Traction Control warning and Electronic Stability Control warning... whew.

Does anyone know if, when the ABS warning light comes on, the ABS is totally disabled and you have only standard braking? I don't drive fast enough in conditions (hopefully) to need ABS but would like to know; I forgot to ask the Saturn guy. TIA.
It would be wise to read your owner's manual for assurance and if not answered to call Saturn for a more definitive answer. Any time the ABS/TC/ESC warning light turns on while driving always leaves you with standard brakes. Your concern will be when the RED brake warning light turns on anytime after releasing the parking brake; the RED brake warning light turning on now means something has occurred to lower the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder. There may not be enough brake fluid for safe stopping and this should be examined immediately as driving may become dangerous.

ABS/TC/ESC are all enhancements to the basic braking system so their failure won't endanger the driver. The brakes will always work but the RED brake warning light is cause for immediate concern in the general scheme of things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

My kid drives my 2001 Bonneville that has a lot of bells and whistles (my wife hates that car). This winter he called me from college a few hours away to say that the TC and Anti-lock brake warnings had come on. I told him to ignore them, and called our local dealer (no GM dealer in the small college town knows anything). My local dealer noted that we had just gone through an ice-storm and very slushy roads, and said it was a very common problem with these systems. He suggested getting the car inside to warm up, or take the car through a carwash and pay extra to get the underbody wash. My kid did this and the problem went away and did not return. Seems these systems are very sensitive to extreme heat (over 100 deg F), extreme cold (below -10 deg F), freezing slush/ice buildup around wheels/brakes, internal moisture (condensation, not rain), etc. that can effect wheel speed and balance or the wheel sensors themselves. The GMC/Pontiac dealer said that the sensors are quite expensive to replace, and are many times replaced unneccesarily by a worried owner or a profit-seeking dealer doing parts swapping instead of real diagnosis. And that it is not a big issue to drive a short time with either warning light on. If the light stays on for a long time (ie: many days or a week or so), take it to the dealer. If it is under warranty and you have time to burn, take it in sooner than later. Best luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Kiminohio
Kiminohio is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if there is a chance that something could have happened to my sensors for my traction control when I had all 4 tires changed? it just started acting up after I had new tires put on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kiminohio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kiminohio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kiminohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is this a Lamborghini, Bentley, Mack truck? Some info would help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote