SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Analyst: Production of Next-Gen Saturn Astra, Chevy Cobalt Moving to Mexico

A new story entry has been added:

Analyst: Production of Next-Gen Saturn Astra, Chevy Cobalt Moving to Mexico

Quote:
General Motors executives have been implying for awhile that production of the next-generation Saturn Astra would move to North America when the new model debuts in 2010. What's been up for debate has been the identity of manufacturing facility where the new model would be built. As of today, it looks like the debate is finally over.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Analyst: Production of Next-Gen Saturn Astra, Chevy Cobalt Moving to Mexico

Off topic,where is the Volt going to be produced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightVue07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Analyst: Production of Next-Gen Saturn Astra, Chevy Cobalt Moving to Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightVue07 View Post
Off topic,where is the Volt going to be produced?
The rumor mill says Lordstown, and with Cobalt going to Mexico, that fuels the fire. Under that scenario, Lordstown assembly will need another vehicle to complement the low-volume Volt, and that could be a Gamma-based vehicle like the sub-compact trio shown at (the 2007) NYIAS.

I figured Astra would go to Mexico, as Ramos Arizpe has experience with Delta-based products (HHR, SA market Chevy Vectra, etc.)

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Glad I got mine now... I was afraid of this...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
ionactionant
ionactionant is on a distinguished road

And my desire to buy this car lessens....

Thanks, GM....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionactionant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionactionant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionactionant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
me47452
me47452 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

The build quality of the 08 Astra is phenominal. The Antwerp plant even includes a photo documentary of all tweaks and adjustments that were made to the car before it was shipped out. Go to a Saturn showroom and slam the door on one for yourself.

The move to Mexico is necessary and my wife's Vue (built at Ramos Arizpe) is well built IMO, but the Astra is in another class.

I guess the moral of this story is to get the current gen. Astra while you can!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me47452's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me47452 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me47452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
ionactionant
ionactionant is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess that the move may be needed and after thinking about it, the Astra has been made in Mexico under the Chevy badge for a little while now with the high performance model for the Mexican market being made there as well. Perhaps it is too soon to count it out as build quality may not be as bad as some of us are anticipating.

My hopes are that the car retains its quality and is able to keep wowing people like the current Astra has been doing as a H.P. version is the only thing that could get me to trade in my on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionactionant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionactionant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionactionant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
hyperlexis
hyperlexis is on a distinguished road

Oh what a fabulous idea! So the Mexican slaves will be making all of GM's small vehicles for the NA market including the antequated Cobalt, in addition to those Korean slaves making the little Chevy Aveo at GMs Daewoo plant.

So the American workers still even employed will be able to make all of the 20 or so SUV's GM may be able to sell here in the next coming years.

I wonder if this company even deserves to survive with such incompetent management.

$4.00 gasoline and GM announces the Vue Red line. Open ass, insert head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hyperlexis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hyperlexis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hyperlexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
corona
corona is on a distinguished road

Hate to say it kids, but no US manufacturer can afford to pay the fat wages of an American UAW worker for much longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to corona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help corona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlexis View Post
Oh what a fabulous idea! So the Mexican slaves will be making all of GM's small vehicles for the NA market including the antequated Cobalt, in addition to those Korean slaves making the little Chevy Aveo at GMs Daewoo plant.

So the American workers still even employed will be able to make all of the 20 or so SUV's GM may be able to sell here in the next coming years.

I wonder if this company even deserves to survive with such incompetent management.

Workers at the Ramos plant are hardly slaves. They're paid a fair wage for their market - something the UAW is vehemently opposed to. Also, did you miss the part about the Aveo moving to Lordstown?

Along with that VUE Red Line comes the 2-mode hybrid this year. Open mouth, insert foot.

As for the Volt, that's slated for Hamtramck, along with a Delta MPV.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
BuffyLinux
BuffyLinux is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Cheer up! At the rate the dollar's falling, pretty soon all cars will be built here. Of course we won't be able to afford them, but that's beside the point.

2008 Astra 3XR
2005 Corvette
1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuffyLinux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuffyLinux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BuffyLinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I don't care where the car is built. I just hope they don't neuter it. The current Astra is European to the core. When they build it alongside the Cobalt in North America, I bet they will source a lot of components here. I doubt they will give us the same tight suspension and higher end trim and materials that the European version will get.

I don't just want a European look in the Astra. I want everything else that makes the car great.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
BuffyLinux

1999 SL2

I don't think that there's any reason that they couldn't build the same Astra here, or in Mexico, but I'm betting they won't. It always seems that the marketing department is better at convincing management that bland cars will sell than the engineering department is at convincing them that good cars will sell. And who knows, they may be right. But as far as I can see, the idea behind marketing is mostly based on making a product indistinguishable from the competition, so that only advertising (which they control) matters.

So my bet is that the marketing department will convince GM that it will sell better if they make the ride mushy, the interior bland, the seats softer and wider, and, of course, drop that manual transmission that nobody wants anyway.

Of course another way to look at it is, they bring the car in unchanged to get good reviews in the car magazines, then cheapen it so they can sell it for more profit. Your choice.

In either case, I'd say get your "real" Astra while you can.

2008 Astra 3XR
2005 Corvette
1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BuffyLinux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now that's funny!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
kmacleod
kmacleod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Now that's funny!
That is called a severe case of rectal/cranial inversion...............

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmacleod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmacleod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kmacleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

As long as there's still a Saturn badge on it, it's all good, right? Nevermind that GM has ***** on everything Saturn once stood for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #17
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
As long as there's still a Saturn badge on it, it's all good, right? Nevermind that GM has ***** on everything Saturn once stood for.

Because the business model turned out to be unprofitable. Like Saturn has a right to bleed GM dry ? [I guess if Saab can do it so can Saturn]....

Bitter; table for one........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #18
BuffyLinux

1999 SL2

Its hard to see how Saturn (or Saab for that matter) could bleed GM dry. They just aren't big enough. If they're really ".. in this for the long haul now ... to reestablish our brands, to boost our residuals, and to improve the value and image of our vehicles" as Bob Lutz says, then it seems to me that they should be looking to the divisions with loyal customer bases like Saturn and Saab to show them the way.

IMHO most of Saturn's problems have come from being having been hemo-GM-ized too much. They'd do better to look to Saturn as a model than to try to make it a me-too division, as (again IMHO) has happened all too often.

And hey, the Vue Red Line still goes twice as far on a gallon of gas as an H3, and does at least as well as the Porsche Cayenne, which seems to be selling fairly well. Not to mention the 5,000 gallons of gas you can buy for the price difference between the two!

2008 Astra 3XR
2005 Corvette
1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

No, the Aveo will be built here. GM pays upper-middle class wages in Mexico, didn't know that qualified them as slaves. Good to know. Research before spouting off, okay?

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Charlie, you should kill this thread. It's gonna fill up with anti-Mexican/anti-new Saturn posts way too quick.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote