SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
cheapybob
Advanced Member
cheapybob is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
1999 SC2
Default When will Saturn make a 50 mpg car?

All they'd need to do is cut an Eco motor in 1/2 to get a small enough displacement, and a 6 speed. It would powered like the original SL1, but in this day and age, I think they could advertise it and sell it for the same price.

Just wondering.....

Or do I need to be looking at imports? Actually, not sure if I'll find anything there, either, but it seems to me that if in 1977 I could buy a car that got 49 hgwy, I should be able to get something equal or better today.

Last edited by cheapybob; 05-29-2008 at 07:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheapybob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheapybob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: When will Saturn make a 50 mpg car?

what car in 1977 got 49 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

You might as well have titled this thread 'When will Saturn sell me a diesel or a two-mode hybrid car?' These days, that's probably what it will take to drive something that gets more than 40 mpg in the city. The era of the 2300-pound Saturn car is over.

I want to know too - what mass-production vehicle got 49 mpg city OR highway in 1977?

The SL1 had neither a 1.1, a 1.2 or a .8L engine nor a 6-speed transmission.
For those looking for equal or better mileage today than in the past, they forget about the government-mandated safety equipment that adds weight and that until very recently, the majority of American drivers cared more for power and speed over mileage and light weight.

When someone creates a mass-produced vehicle that seats more than one person, can haul more cargo than a Sky, gets 50 mpg in the city AND can keep me safe (walk-away accident) after being rear-ended by a semi truck and trailer traveling at highway velocities - I'll be interested. Until then, the dream of getting high mpgs while staying safe will remain a dream.

4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

If you want 50 mpg get a bike.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
When someone creates a mass-produced vehicle that seats more than one person, can haul more cargo than a Sky, gets 50 mpg in the city AND can keep me safe (walk-away accident) after being rear-ended by a semi truck and trailer traveling at highway velocities - I'll be interested. Until then, the dream of getting high mpgs while staying safe will remain a dream.
I've always believed it would be possible to safely operate much smaller and lighter weight commuter oriented fuel efficient vehicles, if we could somehow limit their use to separate driving lanes that were restricted to vehicles of similar size, and had speeds limited to 55 mph or less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

Keep Dreaming, Oil moves this Country.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightVue07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I just want a car with dent resistant body panels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob View Post
All they'd need to do is cut an Eco motor in 1/2 to get a small enough displacement, and a 6 speed. It would powered like the original SL1, but in this day and age, I think they could advertise it and sell it for the same price.

Just wondering.....

Or do I need to be looking at imports? Actually, not sure if I'll find anything there, either, but it seems to me that if in 1977 I could buy a car that got 49 hgwy, I should be able to get something equal or better today.
when people are happy to buy a 63 hp 3 cyl car you may see 50 mpg. unfortunately even in these days of rising fuel prices people still turn their noses up at anything with less than 150 HP. the Smart car is only successful because it is so completely different from anything else on the road. its Trendy factor is its major selling point.

cars like the fit are doing well because people who would have bought a civic if it came as a hatch back.

If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl_don's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl_don reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i think that the smart car sells only because its trendy. it used premium fuel and doesnt get nearly the mileage it should for what it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
Rabbit Diesel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Didn't honda make a two door hatch in the early and mid 80s that got over 50 MPG on the HWY? Don't know why they stopped making it. They need to bring it back. Don't see many on the roads anymore, though. Wonder why.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 03/14/14: 190,665 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - 6395 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

in the 80 s because of the high price of gas (about 3.40 a gallon in todays dollars) many cars could actualy get 50 on the highway or more. chevy sprint 5spd, cheveete diesel 5 spd, and many others

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

They made a 38mpg car in 1995 and I still own one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MINICooperS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I usually got about 38 mpg on the highway in my old SL2!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Did you notice on old car advertisements that they advertise RIDICULOUS gas mileage statements?

Were they really that high, like early 80's cavalier's and such?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

they got good mileage but the 82 cavalier got 88 hp and mileage got much more important than safety so they stripped out as much as they could for weight savings. the 3800 v6 which in newer cars has 200 plus hp had 110 or 115hp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
the 3800 v6 which in newer cars has 200 plus hp had 110 or 115hp
115 HP in my 1979 Buick 3.8 V6 - you speak the truth - not sure how efficient they actually were though...mine was a dud...leaked like a sieve...went through 5 alternators while I had it...ran pretty good though (when it ran)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post
Did you notice on old car advertisements that they advertise RIDICULOUS gas mileage statements?

Were they really that high, like early 80's cavalier's and such?
They were WAAAY pie-in-the-sky in the '70s, but got more realistic as time passed. By the mid '90s, "YMMV" (your mileage may "vary") meant a lot less than it had 20 years earlier.

My FIL's '77 Rabbit Diesel really did get about 50 MPG, back when diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Awful winter starting, though (engines and fuel have improved a LOT in 30 years), and diesel wasn't available at every corner gas station back then. I have no recollection what the car's "advertised" MPG was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The 1st Nissan Sentra offered a high fuel efficiency model as did Honda with it's Civic. And they were rated at 48-49 IIRC.

Motor Trend tested them together as well as reported on an economy run with the hfe type of Civic vs the standard Civic just to see if they actually could get 50 mpg.

Not in the 70's though [gasoline variety].

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #20
cheapybob
Advanced Member
cheapybob is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
1999 SC2

Quote:
I had a 1977 Toyota Corolla with a 1166 cc 3KC motor putting out either 52 or 60 hp (I forget) and 5 spd that had an EPA rating of 49 hwy, and did actually get over 50 mpg on the road if you drove 60 mph. I bought it new for under $3400, so I'm sure that was what was on the stickers, and drove it many miles.

If it was as light as a Saturn, and as aerodynamic as a Saturn, and had today's full synthetic low friction oil and gear lube, and todays Low Rolling Resistance tires, and todays dramatically more efficient OBD II ignition and fuel injection systems available, I'm sure that 49 mpg could be improved on significantly.

The key, as I see it, is to start with a light vehicle and small displacement motor, and being wiling to sacrifice drag strip performance in exchange for fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheapybob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheapybob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote