SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Little Bulldog is Easy on Gas

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Little Bulldog is Easy on Gas

Quote:
David Booth from the National Post newspaper writes about how the most unique thing about the 2008 Vue Green Line is that it gets the "best highway fuel economy rating of any SUV offered in Canada." In addition, "the Vue is quite a looker."

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Little Bulldog is Easy on Gas

Articles that quote the sticker MPG do have nice things to say about the Vue GL, as would be expected.

Some test reviews, now just coming out, seem less impressed ... disappointing real-world MPG in the low 20s ... well below window sticker figures. This would seem to make it on-par with the standard XR 4 cylinder Vue. Where's the hybrid benefit?

Anybody have any first-hand experience with the 2008 Vue GL for actual MPG?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
Articles that quote the sticker MPG do have nice things to say about the Vue GL, as would be expected.

Some test reviews, now just coming out, seem less impressed ... disappointing real-world MPG in the low 20s ... well below window sticker figures. This would seem to make it on-par with the standard XR 4 cylinder Vue. Where's the hybrid benefit?

Same thing happened with the 2007 models--real-world mileage by far exceeding what a reviewer gets. It's true of all cars but seems especially true of hybrids.

Remember, there's very little "real-world" about auto journalism...

FWIW, there's only one 2008 VUE GL on reporting on fueleconomy.gov, and it's getting 28.0.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
HalifaxHybrid
HalifaxHybrid is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Green Line

I will get numbers to you soon enough, it seems I cant get through this tank of gas....... I had a mustang in the past, and would normally be empty by now, have yet to reach through my first quarter on the 2008 Vue GL. In all honesty, it all depends on your driving habits, as is the case with al vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HalifaxHybrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HalifaxHybrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HalifaxHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
k327
k327 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I got mine about a week ago, and just made it through my first tank of gas. About 360miles driven, probably 60-75% were highway miles. Assuming the dealership filled up the tank 100%, my mileage was slightly over 23 MPG. Very disappointing.

I'm driving the car about 80 miles today, all highway, and I'm going to fill up right before and right after, so will get a good reading on highway mileage by this evening. But if this car really gets low 20s in the real world, I'm highly disappointed and would not have purchased it Other than that, nice looking car and no complaints, but the car I traded in actually had better mileage than 23MPG !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
rosenjohn_sl2
rosenjohn_sl2 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

First point -- Let the engine break in. My 07 Greenline did not start geting its current mileage until after its first oil change. After that its summer mileage with 75% highway is 30 to 32. Winter mileage was 27 to 29.

Second -- Test reviews are driven by clowns more interested in 0 to 60 than by mileage and with a bias against the big 3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rosenjohn_sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rosenjohn_sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rosenjohn_sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: Little Bulldog is Easy on Gas

I agree with the comment above about fuel mileage. From what I've heard from hybrid owners, they really start seeing improvement after the engine break-in period.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
k327
k327 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenjohn_sl2 View Post
First point -- Let the engine break in. My 07 Greenline did not start geting its current mileage until after its first oil change. After that its summer mileage with 75% highway is 30 to 32. Winter mileage was 27 to 29.

Second -- Test reviews are driven by clowns more interested in 0 to 60 than by mileage and with a bias against the big 3.
I am also starting to think that the car wasn't 100% full of gas when I got it, despite the needle being on F. I say this because I drove 80 miles on the highway yesterday, filling up right before and after the driving. MPG was a little over 31. Funny thing is that the needle was still basically on F after the 80 miles. So I'm wondering if the dealership filled it just enough to have it be on F, and I was assuming a full tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Kooler King
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by k327 View Post
I got mine about a week ago, and just made it through my first tank of gas. About 360miles driven, probably 60-75% were highway miles. Assuming the dealership filled up the tank 100%, my mileage was slightly over 23 MPG. Very disappointing.

I'm driving the car about 80 miles today, all highway, and I'm going to fill up right before and right after, so will get a good reading on highway mileage by this evening. But if this car really gets low 20s in the real world, I'm highly disappointed and would not have purchased it Other than that, nice looking car and no complaints, but the car I traded in actually had better mileage than 23MPG !!!
One review I read had 2008 Vue GL fuel ecomony results something like 23.8 MPG. The BAS hybrids won't be much better (if at all) than a conventional vehicle in pure highway driving. The 32 MPG is derived from a specific government test loop that the BAS hybrids are optimized for.

If Saturn added the 6-speed auto, low-rolling resistance tires, spoilers, fuel economy monitor, direct injection, etc. to the base XE 2.4 Ecotech, that would be a better answer for most drivers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
tackepj

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
One review I read had 2008 Vue GL fuel ecomony results something like 23.8 MPG. The BAS hybrids won't be much better (if at all) than a conventional vehicle in pure highway driving. The 32 MPG is derived from a specific government test loop that the BAS hybrids are optimized for.

If Saturn added the 6-speed auto, low-rolling resistance tires, spoilers, fuel economy monitor, direct injection, etc. to the base XE 2.4 Ecotech, that would be a better answer for most drivers.
Remember, the new EPA tests are tuned to be a much more appropriate simulation of actual American driving habits. If the VUE GL gets 32 on the highway while the conventional VUE gets 26, I'd say that's a pretty good improvement. In other words, if the GL is (as you say) optimized for a specific gov't test loop, and the test loop is an appropriate simulation, I'd say it's win-win.

By the way, my last pure highway tank in our BAS hybrid SUV was 34.9 mpg over lots of hills with the A/C on. Range was 539 miles. Advantage: BAS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
tackepj

2008 Astra XE

I should also add: a 6-spd automatic tranny won't necessarily make highway MPG any better. What matters is how fast the engine is turning while in top gear. For ours, it's about 2100 RPM at 70 mph. I doubt the 6-speed would (or even could--it's only a 4-banger) improve on that.

For non-highway driving, the benefits would be more substantial.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #12
Kooler King
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
I should also add: a 6-spd automatic tranny won't necessarily make highway MPG any better. What matters is how fast the engine is turning while in top gear. For ours, it's about 2100 RPM at 70 mph. I doubt the 6-speed would (or even could--it's only a 4-banger) improve on that.

For non-highway driving, the benefits would be more substantial.
I would tend to agree with your statement, but Saturn is extolling the virtues of the newly available 6-speed transmission in the 2009 Aura with the 2.4 Ecotec, claiming 33 MPG highway (up from 30 mpg in 2008 with 4-speed).

I can't imagine top gear on the 6-speed is any taller as the 2.4 Ecotec in my 2008 Aura "lugs" a little bit just under 2000 RPM in OD & with the converter locked this happens in the 45 ~ 50 MPH range. At 65 MPH, it's a comfortable 2500 +/- RPM, just entering the "sweet spot" of its torque curve.

Perhaps with the 6 speed it jumps between 5 & 6th all the time ... this was very annoying in my XR Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
VictoriaVue
VictoriaVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxHybrid View Post
I will get numbers to you soon enough, it seems I cant get through this tank of gas....... I had a mustang in the past, and would normally be empty by now, have yet to reach through my first quarter on the 2008 Vue GL. In all honesty, it all depends on your driving habits, as is the case with al vehicles.
That is one sharp looking SUV! So, what are you seeing with your GL Vue in mileage? (How many kms on a tank?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VictoriaVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VictoriaVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VictoriaVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
HalifaxHybrid
HalifaxHybrid is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Green Line

Just finished a trip to NB and PEI. I was actually surprised at the results. When I first bought the vehicle, I was getting 650 L per 65 L tank 60% highway 40 % City. After rapping up my trip to PEI and new brunswick, I pulled off between 750 - 800 KM per tank with maybe a little more highway than 60 %. I am extremely impressed. Those numbers are also with 1 passenger and bags. Im moving to Victoria next summer!!!!! In earlier posts, folks had mentioned that there was a break in period but I had no idea it was so substantial. No wonder all the reviews on the GL are garbage, they are not using broken in vehicles.

Thats my two cents. See you on the West Coast!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HalifaxHybrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HalifaxHybrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HalifaxHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote