SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
JalopnikRay
JalopnikRay is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Spy Photos: 2010/2011 Saturn Astra

More pictures of the next-gen Saturn/Opel Astra:

2010 Opel Astra Spotted Testing In Alps, 2011 Saturn Version Not Far Behind

Ray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JalopnikRay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JalopnikRay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JalopnikRay is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Spy Photos: 2010/2011 Saturn Astra

They need to start selling the 2008 version before they think about a 2010/2011. I think I've seen four Astras since they came out. And that was at the San Fransisco and San Jose international auto shows. Still have yet to see one on the street.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I completely agree, it looks nice.. But why invest more money into a car that could possibly be failing.

I have seen ONE Astra on the road since they've came out. That's it.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
ftruscot
ftruscot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra has been selling in its current form since MY2004 and is due for an update for the 2010 model year. That's what they are investing the money in. They aren't likely losing money on it since it's like the number 2 seller in Europe, pushing 400,000 plus units per year. You can question its future as a Saturn rebadge, but GM is doing well with this car globally.

2008 Astra 5dr XR, black, 5-sp, adv. audio, prem. trim, sports handling, sunroof

Previous Saturn: 1997 SW2, blue, manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ftruscot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ftruscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ftruscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftruscot View Post
The Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra has been selling in its current form since MY2004 and is due for an update for the 2010 model year. That's what they are investing the money in. They aren't likely losing money on it since it's like the number 2 seller in Europe, pushing 400,000 plus units per year. You can question its future as a Saturn rebadge, but GM is doing well with this car globally.
Where GM loses money is by importing Astras here from Europe because of the currency fluctuation. Exporting roadsters built at the Boxwood Road plant in Wilmington Delaware helps soften the blow. But your point is well taken, the Astra is the CamCord of Europe.

I don't understand why everyone's calling the Astra a failure. Perhaps we should build more T900 Tahoes and Silverados instead. I think $3.50-$4/gal gas will now be a way of life. If anything, the Astra is tailor made for rising fuel costs, but due to the limitations placed by the folks at the RenCen, it's a practically invisible car with little advertising that those outside the SaturnFans community seem to know little about. It's a wonder they sold nearly 1,000 cars last month under those conditions.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
ftruscot

2008 Astra XR

GR898SL2, I know where Saturn is not making much, if any, money on the Astra due to the costs of importing it and the exchange rates. I was responding to the wonderings of the previous posters as to the wisdom of Opel redesigning the Astra for MY2010. Hopefully, they'll be building this new Astra somewhere in NA for the NA market.

You are right, for some reason, Saturn/GM isn't doing a lot of national advertising of the Astra, though I've seen some print ads in national magazines. And they've been getting a lot of press in the car reviews. I came across it by accident in February when I decided to replace my '97 SW2. I thought I was going to get the Mazda 3 Hatchback, but decided to check out what Saturn had. I saw the Astra, drove it and fell in love. Most consumers though wouldn't have checked the Saturn web site without some prodding from advertising.

Here's hoping it gets more exposure.

2008 Astra 5dr XR, black, 5-sp, adv. audio, prem. trim, sports handling, sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ftruscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
dave.sl
Advanced Member
dave.sl has a spectacular aura aboutdave.sl has a spectacular aura about

If the final version is anything like this, I can't imagine anyone buying it for style. JMO, but I think it is even worse than the current hatch/wagon look that is currently being offered. I have yet to see one on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave.sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave.sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dave.sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Where GM loses money is by importing Astras here from Europe because of the currency fluctuation. Exporting roadsters built at the Boxwood Road plant in Wilmington Delaware helps soften the blow. But your point is well taken, the Astra is the CamCord of Europe.

I don't understand why everyone's calling the Astra a failure. Perhaps we should build more T900 Tahoes and Silverados instead. I think $3.50-$4/gal gas will now be a way of life. If anything, the Astra is tailor made for rising fuel costs, but due to the limitations placed by the folks at the RenCen, it's a practically invisible car with little advertising that those outside the SaturnFans community seem to know little about. It's a wonder they sold nearly 1,000 cars last month under those conditions.
Won't happen. People will buy what that want to buy.. If Gas is a consider 90% of people don't look at Saturn. They go right for Honda,Toyota,Hyundai etc. Also the "This is what you pay" crap doesn't work. People wont bother. They will walk into another dealer knowing the price of car and knowing they can knock atleast $1500. Not to mention the crappy Advertisment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightVue07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post
I completely agree, it looks nice.. But why invest more money into a car that could possibly be failing.

Everyone needs to mellow with the Astra failing... Its only been out for a few months.. Give it time.. I remember when the Aura first came out... It wasn't a hot seller... Seems to be doing better now..

GM loses money with the Astra and I doubt they are going to spend more money to lose more money with every Astra they sell... But knowing GM it's possible..

The salesperson I purchased my Astra from said that GM is bringing the german engineers over now to set up one of the plants in the states to make the new version... If the happens look for alot more advertising..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
dborcher
dborcher is on a distinguished road

I agree with titan12, also if the Astra does make it here in NA for the next generation you are going to see a lot more options added especialy engine choices. Like a redline version which I think would bring in a lot more sales. I wish they had a turbo redline for this car now, but I am very happy with my Astra in its current version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dborcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dborcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dborcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

If Astra sales don't pick up, Saturn will need to "Rethink" it's current business model.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
They need to start selling the 2008 version before they think about a 2010/2011. I think I've seen four Astras since they came out. And that was at the San Fransisco and San Jose international auto shows. Still have yet to see one on the street.
I thought it was just me...I live within 1 hour of at least 3 Saturn dealers (maybe 4) and I have yet to see even one Astra on the road...

I would think a good small car would almost sell itself with gas approaching $4.00/gallon...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Can I just clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post

I happen to like the Astra, and I think it could do well.. Believe me, I still am not confident about the Aura's success either, as seeing one anywhere is a rare sight...

I'm just saying that the Astra isn't doing well right now.. I hope it picks up.. I really think what Saturn ultimately needs is another compact car that is not a hatch... Not everyone likes a hatch.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
ftruscot

2008 Astra XR

It would make sense to offer the sedan. Maybe that will come when they start building them in NA.

Personally, I will likely never buy a sedan, but I understand that many Americans like them. I like the hatchback, but would rather have the wagon. If Saturn didn't offer the Astra hatchback this year, I'd be driving a Mazda 3 hatchback right now. Different strokes...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I finally saw an Astra on the street. Sorta. It was a closed course, the car was provided by Saturn of Madison to be the "pace car" for a bike race day. The car even had ad plates rather than registration plates. So, like many apparently, I have yet to see an Astra "in the wild".

BTW, it was only then, when the pace car driver would honk the horn to indicate the last lap of each heat, did the car betray its Belgian parentage. I'm sorry, but those sniveling wimp-@ss Euro-horns just DON'T belong on our streets. Put a real Mare-kin horn on that thang!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote