SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Dizzy Key out, brake pedal turns fog and other lights on?

I have a mystery to solve. Was in a parking lot with my client when someone said my left brake light was out. I was pulled over in the past for a brake light being out, so decided to change it right there. I was somewhat prepared, since I replaced it not too long ago (putting it in backwards). Amazing what a lot of elbow grease and dyslexia can get you. Anyway, I figured the bulb was in backwards, turned it around, and was on my merry way. This time I had an assistant to pump the brake pedal. Only thing when I inserted the new bulb he pushed the brake pedal. The bulb seemed to go in right. No resistance and bulb was not super bright like the time I put in backwards. However, later when I got out of my car something peculiar happened. I removed the key and my dinger would go off until I put my foot on the brake pedal. Now, with key out pressing the brake pedal my dinger goes off when it was silent, my dash lights go on, my daytime running lights and fog lights come on (even with the emergency brake on). Before coming home it was getting dark. When turning my lights on my high mounted middle brake light was on. Not sure if that is the way it is supposed to work? Also, when I push the brake pedal the dash lights become brighter. This will be the holiday puzzler for you guys and gals. Thanks in advance.

It is a 99 SL2 with 135,00 miles and a loose nut behind the wheel.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Key out, brake pedal turns fog and other lights on?

If you got the bulb in backwards once there is a possibility you did it again. With the key off, turn on the parking lights and look at both tail lights, are they the exact same brightness. They should be. If not the bulb is in backwards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Both the same brightness. I will go check just to make sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

It was in right, not I have the bulb stuck in backwards. But, I still have problem. I took out the other bulb and it seems different. The pins were more offset. I am sure it was the other bulb I did not use? I have a new pack of Napa 2057ll. Says it replaces 2057. I think the mystery is solved. I put in a bulb that replaces 1156. Maybe that is my fog light? Anyway, need to get the wrong bulb that is in backwards out to see if it fixes the problem, and nature calls. I let you know how it comes out (the bulb).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you got the bulb in backwards once there is a possibility you did it again. With the key off, turn on the parking lights and look at both tail lights, are they the exact same brightness. They should be. If not the bulb is in backwards.
It was the wrong bulb. Put two new 2057 bulbs in, aligning the pins. Seems to have the same brightness and all the quirky stuff is gone. I have dibs on the patent for this modification. Reminds me of the time I installed the transmission modulator on the carb of my 69 Fairlane. Made some transmission techs very happy. I tend to be very grateful for this forum, since this is more the rule for me, not the exception. Thanks!

One last question. Do you think I damaged anything, or would I have just taken out a fuse first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Nothing harmed. If you had done a real good job you would be looking for the open fuse. I always hate to mention wrong bulb...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

I marked the old good bulb so I will not make the same mistake again. Thanks for you help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
higleyjp
higleyjp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

I just replaced the bulbs in my '98 SL for the same reason. Previous owner had replaced the 2057 with the 1156. Just bought the car last week and I couldn't figure out why all the dash lights were coming on every time I stopped. I didn't realize you could put it in backwards, I'll have to check them tomorrow morning before I head off to the beach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to higleyjp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help higleyjp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
higleyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by higleyjp View Post
I just replaced the bulbs in my '98 SL for the same reason. Previous owner had replaced the 2057 with the 1156. Just bought the car last week and I couldn't figure out why all the dash lights were coming on every time I stopped. I didn't realize you could put it in backwards, I'll have to check them tomorrow morning before I head off to the beach.
I had time to look at my owner's manual. The 1156 bulb is a blinker bulb. Now I remember. The first time I tried to replace the brake light it was dark in Advance Auto parking lot. I underestimated changing the bulb and did not notice the pins were offset. With enough force it will go in backwards. Trying to figure out what happened I took out the blinker bulb and broke it in the socket. Went to Napa, got a replacement pack of 1156 bulbs plus a pack of 2057's for the brake light. Too bad I could not remember that. The tell tail sign the brake light bulb is in backwards is it is harder to insert and brighter then it should be. With good lighting you can see the grove that is lower in the socket and line it up with the low pin on the bulb. I just did not know to look until it was too late. Now I feel better knowing I am not the first to have this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
higleyjp
higleyjp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

Just went out to check and I had put one of the bulbs in backwards. If I hadn't read your post I wouldn't have caught it until the cop had me on the side of the road. Thanks!

There seems to be something about the 1156 bulb. I pulled all the bulbs this afternoon and reseated them to make sure that wasn't the problem and both of those broke off in the socket. It took some wrestling with a pair of needle nose pliers to get them out.

Happy Memorial Day!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to higleyjp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help higleyjp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
higleyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Asterixx
Asterixx will become famous soon enoughAsterixx will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
1996 SL1

I've seen stuff like that happen before. The strangest was a Saab 900 that would keep on running if you had your foot on the brake while turning the key off. The owner had just replaced a brake light bulb, and installed an 1156. The single contact on the bottom of the 1156 will short the two contacts inside the 1157/2057 style socket and will cause "backfeeding" into the park light circuit every time you step on the brakes. In the case of the Saab, this backfeeding was energizing the daytime running lights circuit, which in turn energized the PCM relay, which kept the car running as long as the operator's foot was on the brake.

1996 SL1 5m loaded except sunroof *SOLD*
1997 SL2 5m Loaded including sunroof, fog lights, and console bin.
Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judacati terram

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asterixx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asterixx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asterixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by higleyjp View Post
Just went out to check and I had put one of the bulbs in backwards. If I hadn't read your post I wouldn't have caught it until the cop had me on the side of the road. Thanks!

There seems to be something about the 1156 bulb. I pulled all the bulbs this afternoon and reseated them to make sure that wasn't the problem and both of those broke off in the socket. It took some wrestling with a pair of needle nose pliers to get them out.

Happy Memorial Day!
I was going to say, once the bulb is in backwards it takes some patience to get it out. I had to put extra downward pressure and turn to the left (counterclockwise). I thought I was going to break my 1156 that was in backwards. After about 12 attempts I felt it move in the grove. I think the first time I broke the bulb was due to not hitting the sweet spot but still turning. It is amazing the problems that lining up the pins wrong will do.

Enjoy the Holiday. I am getting ready for work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!