SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Flashback Friday: 1984 Saturn Prototype

A new image entry has been added:

Flashback Friday: 1984 Saturn Prototype

Quote:
Roger Smith and F. James McDonald are pictured with the 1985 Saturn four-door sedan concept. This was the first Saturn demonstration prototype vehicle. It was completed for evaluation and shown to the media on September 15, 1984.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Flashback Friday: 1984 Saturn Prototype

It looked like a bland smaller version of a mid 80's Olds Cutlass Cierra. It is interesting how things eventually evolved stylistically into the early S-series; especially the attractive SC. By the looks of the prototype, we can be thankful that such evolution did occur, but I guess things had to start somewhere

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
nasaman
nasaman is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
1994 SW2

Wow, I never knew there was a prototype Saturn car as early as 1984! The final styling of the "S" cars was greatly improved before they started coming off the line in Spring Hill. My beautiful 1994 SW-2 wagon still runs great & its original green finish looks flawless parked beside my gorgeous 2008 gold VUE. I'll be trading my VUE for a Plug-in VUE, but will always keep my beloved SW-2!

I'll never forget the phone call I got in 1994 from a lady in Spring Hill who I think was Vice President of Public Relations. She asked, "Does your license plate really say "NASA MAN"?! After I confirmed that it did, she told me how Saturn got its name....

"GM ran a company-wide contest to name the new company & car, and a fellow named Philip Garcia in a Chevrolet design studio won ....with the explanation, 'We used Saturn (the moon rocket) to beat the Russians to the moon and we should use Saturn to beat the Japanese in the automotive business!'"

My SW-2 has hand-painted pin stripes on both sides that include a Saturn planet, complete with rings, at the end of each one. Maybe this car should be placed in a museum when I no longer need it!*

*[My new VUE's tag is "NASA CAR" & my SW-2's tag remains "NASA MAN" -- I've spent my life in the US space program, including the moon shot, so my much-loved Saturns are effectively moving commemorations of an exciting career.]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nasaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nasaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nasaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Asterixx
Asterixx will become famous soon enoughAsterixx will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
It looked like a bland smaller version of a mid 80's Olds Cutlass Cierra. It is interesting how things eventually evolved stylistically into the early S-series
Much like how the first-gen S-series looks like a bland smaller version of the early 90's Olds Cutlass Supreme

1996 SL1 5m loaded except sunroof *SOLD*
1997 SL2 5m Loaded including sunroof, fog lights, and console bin.
Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judacati terram

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asterixx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asterixx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asterixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I remember that it took a long time (about 7 years) between the time that the creation of Saturn was announced and the time that the first S- Series car was available. The explanation given at the time was that they wanted to make sure that they got it right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
saturnguy
saturnguy is on a distinguished road

The '84 Proto-type actually is a Cavalier. The production Saturn looks like the Cutlass, the rear windows are amazingly similiar! See where our designs came from? Now they are gone (Olds) and we are the new Guinea pigs for new product, designs, technology, Etc....

"Scooter"
Saturn of Port Richey
I HEART MY AVATAR!!
Own-em, Sell-em, Love-em, Race-em & Break-em...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The time was spent developing unique innovative designs for the s-series. For several years they spent trying to cast the block and head assy in one casting using the lost foam process. This would have significantly cut down the steps manufacturing an engine. They were not sucessful. Imagine no head gaskets!

IMO this prototype styling wasn't looking far enough ahead of the curve. At first glance it screams Cavalier to me... No door lock cylinders?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Regarding the first-generation S cars' styling, what you guys are forgetting or didn't know is that GM corporate controlled the lines, not Saturn. That's why a lot of car rags panned the S sedan for being a junior Cutlass Supreme sedan (W-body), not the A-body Cutlass Ciera and the S coupe was derided for being a Geo Storm clone.

When the '96 sedan/wagon and '97 coupe exterior restyles were unveiled, they were more unique looking and certainly better looking than the comparable J-body (Cavalier, Sunbird) of that time, IMO.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
Regarding the first-generation S cars' styling, what you guys are forgetting or didn't know is that GM corporate controlled the lines, not Saturn. That's why a lot of car rags panned the S sedan for being a junior Cutlass Supreme sedan (W-body), not the A-body Cutlass Ciera and the S coupe was derided for being a Geo Storm clone.
IMO the 1984 prototype had the characteristics of a small Cutlass Cierra or perhaps the characteristics of a similar Chevy Citation. The eventual S-series was altered between 1984 and initial release and may indeed have been a junior Cutlass Supreme. Whatever it was, the early Saturn always was IMO another brand name for a small Olds that could never sell well as an Olds. Ironically Saturn cars are now often Opels which was a brand that GM initially tried to sell roughly 30 years ago through its Buick dealerships. Some things in life are just fated to repeat themselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

I've seen that on this site many times before. I still think it looks like a cross between a Buick, a Mercury and a Chevy Cavalier.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
IMO the 1984 prototype had the characteristics of a small Cutlass Cierra or perhaps the characteristics of a similar Chevy Citation.
After thinking about it further, I believe the Chevy model I was referring to was a Celebrity not Citation. Either way, it was a long time ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
nyc_tek
nyc_tek is on a distinguished road

Here's More info about the s series prototype car ...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...6593/index.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nyc_tek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nyc_tek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nyc_tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It looked like a bland smaller version of a mid 80's Olds Cutlass Cierra. It is interesting how things eventually evolved stylistically into the early S-series; especially the attractive SC.
The SL was like a mini Cutlass Supreme. The Cutlass Supreme: An aesthetic vision based on aerodynamic truth!

(Why do I remember crap like that? I think they actually said that in an old Cutlass Supreme ad!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

It looks like the 1979 Mercury Zephyr my dad had.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
That's why a lot of car rags panned the S sedan for being a junior Cutlass Supreme sedan (W-body), not the A-body Cutlass Ciera and the S coupe was derided for being a Geo Storm clone.
Except that a first generation S coupe looked much nicer than a Geo Storm. I don't see the resemblance at all, they are so different I can easily tell them apart while walking down the rows at a junkyard, even with body panels and other parts missing.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely at 204K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Saturn has come a long way from those days.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #17
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Macbox - I don't agree with the old assessment, I just pointed out what the rags and what I heard from people where I worked at the time, say about the cars. Discerning between early Saturns and other GM models they allegedly resembled was a cinch and it still is, for me at least.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #18
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_tek View Post
Here's More info about the s series prototype car ...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...6593/index.htm
Here's a good synopsis:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

This is very interesting.

The car is very bland, I'm glad that they got things together and offered the much more attractive 1st gen S-Series.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Actually,

Anyone think this somewhat resembles a Renault Alliance?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote