SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Saturn Add a Microvan to Its Lineup?
Yes 35 64.81%
No 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Question Should Saturn Add a Microvan to Its Lineup?

Do you think Saturn should add a microvan to its lineup? The vehicle would be similar to the Opel Meriva concept (see attached) and would be about the size of the Scion xB. Quad-coupe like doors were a popular feature found on the concept.

Post your thoughts..

Thanks!
Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merivaside.jpg (44.9 KB, 48 views)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Should Saturn Add a Microvan to Its Lineup?

Yes, yes, yes... Saturn needs something unique... This was already posted on this website almost a year ago.

The Meriva looks great, with the Astra already here, we don't need the Corsa.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
saturnchaz
saturnchaz is on a distinguished road

Yes, but I think it needs to be a little more Mazda 5 like...with 7 seats as opposed to 5. I am already thinking of getting a Mazda 5 with a 5 speed. I need the minivan but hate my Honda Odyssey. If Saturn came out with a 7 seat microvan I'd buy one. I am not sure about the quad coupe "rear-access" doors. I think I would prefer the sliding doors of a standard minivan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnchaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnchaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
nasaman
nasaman is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
1994 SW2
Arrow Re: Should Saturn Add a Microvan to Its Lineup?

I've just purchased a 2008 VUE (LOVE IT!) that I'll likely trade for the 2009/10 Plug-in VUE that won't use even a DROP of gas running my daily errands. Although the Meriva is a cute concept, I'd sooner consider the Flextreme instead of the Plug-in VUE because it will be Saturn's closest equivalent to the 2010/11 Chevy Volt (same drive train), for which there will be an ENORMOUS WORLD-WIDE DEMAND! The Flextreme's gorgeous futuristic styling truly sets it apart from anything on the market and its rear hatch & large interior will provide adequate "utility" while its Eflex drivetrain, phenomenal styling and operating cost (as much as 10:1 less than conventionally-powered cars with NO performance compromise!) will assure its success.

In short, the Flextreme would be a much better addition to the new Saturn line-up than the Meriva ....but if GM decides on the Meriva, they MUST change that weird name to something having both pizazz and class.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nasaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nasaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nasaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Happy Re: Should Saturn Add a Microvan to Its Lineup?

At the very least, Saturn needs something to compete in the Yaris/Fit/Aveo market.

Spring Hill should have been allowed to develop some sort of Aveo-type vehicle years ago. The hard part, IMHO, would be engineering in exceptional safety and keeping the price down near $10K.

Once again, if bringing in something from Opel is the way it can be done, then so be it. But it eventually it would be nice to see something home grown again.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HumpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

I really like the Zafira, but this is nice too. It doesn't lok like a van to me. To me a van has 3 rows and sliding doors. Does it have 3 rows? It is kinda like the Eagle Summit thing that was out a while ago. That thing was weird.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I think it's a cool idea, and I believe it will be unique.

If done properly I believe it will compete with the Honda Fit. However, if not executed properly, I could see this one selling very sluggish.

I think, however, that Saturn needs to get itself out of the hatch scene for now and concentrate on a small sedan and coupe to boost the compact lineup.

I think that this van may overlap with the Astras intentions.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
toymvr
toymvr is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2005 RELAY-3

That's not a VAN if that what Saturn is thinking about don't waste the time.
I drove a Saturn Relay for 2Yrs. and loved it the reason a person wants a van they have 2-3 Kids a dog and a ton of stuff. I want a van to have room to haul things and needs to get good Gas Mileage

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toymvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toymvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toymvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Dizzy Re: Should Saturn Add a Microvan to Its Lineup?

A mini-van by most definitions is a 7 passenger hauling vehicle with 2 side sliding doors, and a rear hatch the opens upwards.

I would add that it must pull 3000 lbs if it wants to get my attention.

Make mine fun to own/drive and you will rock my world!

A five passenger "wagon" is what you are describing above. Beenthere,donethat,movedon.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

If this vehicle would be in the same size/category/group as the Honda Element/Scion xB or even the Mazda5, I think it would sell. Especially if it was fuel efficient.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Maybe something like this would be nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn_agila_photoshop.jpg (55.6 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #12
Privix
Privix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

A Microvan? Are you kidding? It will never work! A Microvan indeed... j/k... I'm all for it! About time!

"I'd like to thank my parents for making this night possible. And my children for making it necessary."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Privix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Privix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Privix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadacamaro View Post
Maybe something like this would be nice.
I'm guessing that was created from the Opel Agila...

Here it is listed among 7 other "small cars."
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...crocars/5.html

I guess I was thinking that something like this would be a useful competitor to the Fit/Yaris/Aveo/Smart cars.

The microvan kind of competes in this arena, but I think it would be pricier than a small micro 5-door...

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HumpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpMan View Post
I'm guessing that was created from the Opel Agila...
Yep, I just found an image of a Saturn Outlook, and stole the logo portion, and patched over where the hood has an indentation for the Opel symbol. Then I just shrunk the license plate area. I think Saturn should literally just sell every single Opel model, to be honest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
Steve Z1
Steve Z1 is on a distinguished road

Bring in the Zafira, better yet, build it in the US to be able to sell it at the right price point and provide much needed jobs.

Extra productions capacity could be used for export models back to the EU and South America.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve Z1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve Z1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
Isaac
Isaac is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
A mini-van by most definitions is a 7 passenger hauling vehicle with 2 side sliding doors, and a rear hatch the opens upwards.

I would add that it must pull 3000 lbs if it wants to get my attention.

Make mine fun to own/drive and you will rock my world!

A five passenger "wagon" is what you are describing above. Beenthere,donethat,movedon.
that's a mini-van. the question asked about a micro-van. And a wagon has a lower roof then a van.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Isaac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Isaac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z1 View Post
Bring in the Zafira, better yet, build it in the US to be able to sell it at the right price point and provide much needed jobs.

Extra productions capacity could be used for export models back to the EU and South America.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve
I agree 100% the Zafira should come over but don't hold your breath that it will be manufactured in America. With the higher costs and UAW issues involved with manufacturing in the US, in the long term I can't see GM expanding production in the US. If anything, GM would be looking to Mexico as they did with the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

YESA YESIR, YES YES!!!!!!

And don't make it look like a mini-shoebox and it will sell.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
havok
havok is on a distinguished road

No ... I went with Saturn (1998 SW2, 2001 SL2, evaluating 2007 Vue Hybrid) because I wanted something unique and different. Now, we have a re-badged GM product (Outlook) and a whole bunch of re-badged Korean and German products (Vue and everything else, respectively) and we're falling back into the Generic Motors pit that ate Oldsmobile and will soon eat Saturn. I weep for the different kind of car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to havok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help havok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok View Post
No ... I went with Saturn (1998 SW2, 2001 SL2, evaluating 2007 Vue Hybrid) because I wanted something unique and different. Now, we have a re-badged GM product (Outlook) and a whole bunch of re-badged Korean and German products (Vue and everything else, respectively) and we're falling back into the Generic Motors pit that ate Oldsmobile and will soon eat Saturn. I weep for the different kind of car
It's all about bringing world class vehicles to a U.S. brand at a reasonable cost. If the General had any indication that the Dollar would tank against the Euro, the Astra would never have seen these shores.

The General seems to have learned it's lesson about blurring brand lines with interchangeable vehicles. Though they are built on the same chassis, they have enough visual difference to be able to say "That's a GMC or that's a Saturn".

Oldsmobile began it's death roll with the "Not Your Father's Olds" of the late 1980's by denying it's heritage. They allowed Oldsmobile to lose it's role as a beta test for Cadillac. Many options and features on Caddy's of the 1950's and 1960's showed up on Olds a year or two before they were on Cadillac's.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote