SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Scott Peterson
Scott Peterson is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Fuel economy

What causes bad fuel economy ? my sl2 doesnt get 40 mpg like every one else so what causes this ? you can drive it like a granny and it still isint great.i would say im getting like 30 mpg highway. it has newer plugs less than 1 year old, and im putting some nice wires and a pcv valve on it monday im hopeing this will help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott Peterson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott Peterson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scott Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Fuel economy

Auto or Manual? Your .sig doesn't specify. From what I've seen, the ~40mpg goes with the manuals. I've found that ~30 hwy is par for my automatic (so far) after doing all the recommended things.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Scott Peterson

1997 SL2

sorry its a auto ! what are the reccomended things ? havent some auto's got 40 mpg ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scott Peterson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Fuel economy

My understanding is that the DOHC engines (you did mention that you had an SL2) don't get nearly as good gas mileage as the SOHC engines no matter what you do.

I do 95% of my miles as highway miles and average around 36-37mpg (manual transmission). However if I do even 20-30% city or stop-and-go miles, it drops right down into the low 30's.

I believe that the DOHCs are geared a little higher as "sport" setups and perhaps tuned differently for a bit more power or torque. Both hurt gas mileage.

You might check your catalytic converter to see if it is plugged up. That has happened to me on other vehicles. Dragging brakes can also hurt mileage badly and you might not even realize it is happening except that they seem to wear real fast.

Just a thought....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Meaning.. ECTS, Thermostat (1/4 temp problem), plugs & pcv (so far)... I managed to pull up the mpg by about 7 city (commute/mix) since I've been tracking in Dec (and have also seen oil consumption increase at the same time). When my son takes it on hwy trips I see it jump to from ~25 to ~30. Others may get up to 40 but I haven't seen anything better than a hair over 30 so far.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

Last edited by off-track; 05-10-2008 at 10:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

off-track,
What octane gas are you putting into it? If you are burning the 10% ethanol blend then the mileage will be about 5% lower than you would get with straight gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Scott Peterson

1997 SL2

I put just 87 in it, and i dont use any additives, i have newer plugs , coolant temp sensor, monday i will put in a pcv and plug wires. i do notice on hard throttle that it smokes blue.... normal saturn, and also a cloud of black comes out, running rich maybe ?

1997 sl2, auto

I love the greaters too...you can't even tell who the *** he is greating. Both of his eyes are looking different directions. You only go to walmart for comic relief.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

I avoid the ethanol blends whenever I can in both the Sat (87) and the summer car (89). It's increasingly difficult here as there are only two brands that have straight gas. I don't know if my son does the same when he fills, but I doubt it? I'd say that the 100% gas has been ~80% so far though.

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The trannies mated to the DOHC engines are geared LOWER than their SOHC counterparts, thus, the engine revs HIGHER at a given speed in a given gear than the SOHC. Plus, the DOHC breathes more in on each cycle.

The forties are more the realm of the SOHC, esp. 5-speed, world. The only DOHC automatic person here getting 40-ish MPG that I can think of is Luke, and we all know he's up to something (he uses a sail on windy days, or his kids push the car the first mile, or something....). Def. do the steps recommended here, and if it gets your highway MPGs into the mid-30s, call it a good day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Scott Peterson

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The trannies mated to the DOHC engines are geared LOWER than their SOHC counterparts, thus, the engine revs HIGHER at a given speed in a given gear than the SOHC. Plus, the DOHC breathes more in on each cycle.

The forties are more the realm of the SOHC, esp. 5-speed, world. The only DOHC automatic person here getting 40-ish MPG that I can think of is Luke, and we all know he's up to something (he uses a sail on windy days, or his kids push the car the first mile, or something....). Def. do the steps recommended here, and if it gets your highway MPGs into the mid-30s, call it a good day.
ya that luke im not sure what to think

1997 sl2, auto

I love the greaters too...you can't even tell who the *** he is greating. Both of his eyes are looking different directions. You only go to walmart for comic relief.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Post Re: Fuel economy

Semantics. In both the hot rod and mechanical engineering worlds a 4.11:1 differential is referred to as being geared "higher" than a 3.23:1. Depends upon your viewpoint I guess. No matter.

Regardless, the point is that the engine turns over more times per mile in top gear on the twin cam setups as I understand it, so the engine is performing more combustion cycles per mile. Each combustion cycle requires a proper fuel-air mix to fire, so all other things equal, a higher gear ratio drive train will result in more fuel used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Peterson View Post
What causes bad fuel economy ? my sl2 doesnt get 40 mpg like every one else so what causes this ? you can drive it like a granny and it still isint great.i would say im getting like 30 mpg highway. it has newer plugs less than 1 year old, and im putting some nice wires and a pcv valve on it monday im hopeing this will help.
Me too. I believe only the guys with the SOHC get that great milage. We get the super zippy performance off the light but burn more gas. I'm happy when I can get 30 mpg in my SC2. I'm also MT.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Scott Peterson

1997 SL2

I dont know if its just me. but i seem to have come across more sohc's in the junk yard than dohc's

1997 sl2, auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
luvme2tymes
luvme2tymes is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

I saw improved fuel economy in my '02 SL2 when I had my throttle body flushed. I went from 30'ish to 35 mpg. That was over a year ago and it's still the same. I only use brand name gas and my cars seem to get better mileage with it.

I heard that Hero Hut gas has an ethanol blend so if you're trying to avoid that stuff.... It's funny that putting sugar in your tank used to be a bad thing. hmmmm lol

Anyway, I put new plugs, wires, and a coil pack in - 1 and 4 were mis-firing, and had a valve adjustment at 60k. I recently started adding Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaner to my tank each month. I'm up to 38 mpg now. It's cheaper at W Mart - the place where we dare not speak its name. lol

I hope this helps.

94 SC2..."Rocket"

02 SL2..."Wednesday"

Ride American Quarter Horses, and Rocky Mountain Horses too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luvme2tymes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luvme2tymes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luvme2tymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I think you have to be careful comparing your MPG results to people that state what they get on the Internet. Please tend to post pretty optimistic results. For all we know they got that mileage one time from a tank that was filled up at the top of the continental divide and calucated at the bottom.

I do know that highway MPG can varie significantly by what speed you're willing to travel. My SC2 5-speed consistantly gets around 30 MPG in city driving which is better than the new adjusted EPA estimates for the car, but I usually only get around 32 MPG on the highway which is lower. I attribute that the fact that I drive pretty fast on the highways. I usually keep my CC set at just under 15 MPH over the posted speed limit. I could drive 65 MPH and get much better results, but I doubt I'll ever do that. For city driving however, I do start off slowly and try to time lights.

Moral of the story is that you are the biggest factor in determining your MPG results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Peterson View Post
sorry its a auto ! what are the reccomended things ? havent some auto's got 40 mpg ?
Didn't read the whole thread, but I think 40 is about max for an sl2 auto. I have a '95 SL2 (auto) and my best one-tank average was almost exactly 40, which was almost completely highway, with an average speed a bit below 60 and very little traffic and only a few stops. That also includes some cruise control, very slow acceleration, and slowing down a bit going up hills (when the cruise wasn't on). Also, on this particular trip there was a total elevation drop of approx 500 feet (although I doubt that is enough to be significant).

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I have a 97 SL manual tranny and 40 is about the max on the highway.
One trip I got 42 though on one tank.
About 33 in town.

"Others" don't get in the 40's, they get maybe 40 on a good day.

Start with basics- pump tires to 34 or so, feather the gas pedal, don't make quick starts, try to keep moving, avoid congestion and jams, etc.
Keep it tuned well. Avoid high speeds. Wind resistance kills MPG really fast, past a certain point. Some say 45 mph. Coast when you can.

I think 40 is pretty good for a 2500 lb car.

(My 997 cc Kawasaki got 45 at best, it weighed "only" 600 lbs. Of course, it was 16 valves and 100 HP and 0-60 time of right now.)

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
udderslate
udderslate is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Its driving style , since we have the same car , in good running cond .
For a whole tank , accelerate slowly , if you drive city .
If you can't do that , then be glad you drive a Saturn , rather than
a Chevy Tahoe .

I drive mostly highway , and get no worse than 35mpg ..with winter tires .
In the summer , I routinely get 39mpg for a 300 mi trip .
This is 65mph , no AC on , windows up , driving with traffic .

I once topped 41mpg for a month , with all the tricks I could muster .
Coasting , slow starts...etc .
39 , 41 , same thing to me .

FYI: I drive my wife's Saab 9000 , I get 25mpg , she gets 20 .

Wayne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to udderslate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help udderslate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
udderslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #19
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

AARGH! The wife sent me to fill the Sat tonight (for the son's needs). Off I go to the local non-ethanol station that I patronize for just that reason. As I plug in the hose I notice the dreaded "contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker!!! WTF!!! I'm screwed! That leaves only one brand here that's "real gas". What can be done to stop this insanity? We're guaranteed >$4/gal soon (I already see that as $4.29) but why the heck must we accept lower mileage (and higher prices for everything else) along with it? Sorry, /rant-off

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

Last edited by off-track; 05-15-2008 at 10:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #20
Scott Peterson

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
AARGH! The wife sent me to fill the Sat tonight (for the son's needs). Off I go to the local non-ethanol station that I patronize for just that reason. As I plug in the hose I notice the dreaded "contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker!!! WTF!!! I'm screwed! That leaves only one brand here that's "real gas". What can be done to stop this insanity? We're guaranteed >$4/gal soon (I already see that as $4.29) but why the heck must we accept lower mileage (and higher prices for everything else) along with it? Sorry, /rant-off
i also hear that guys with carburated vehicles are in even more trouble with this corn gas thats what i hear anyways.

1997 sl2, auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!