SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
jimyoung28
jimyoung28 is on a distinguished road

Dazed No Reverse!!

Help.....I have a 96 Sl1....TAAT type 2 trans, reverse works first thing in the morning, fluid is cold, car has not been started, reverse is sluggish, but works. After a short drive, 4 or 5 minutes, reverse is no longer there.
I just replaced the pressure booster sleeve (Sonnax). It made the trans shifter a little harder, but reverse has not changed.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimyoung28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimyoung28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimyoung28 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: No Reverse!!

Sounds like a solenoid is bad or you have a slightly bigger problem.

Do you have any slippage in forward gears, do all the gears shift properly at everytime, hot or cold?

For some reason bad solenoids don't work once the transmission is up to temp, but that same bad solenoid will work when the transmission is cold.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
jimyoung28

Before I replaced the booster sleeve, it would sometimes slip going into 4th, now it shifts in fine,maybe a little too firm, but ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jimyoung28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

My bet is that nasty Input Shaft Nut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
That was going to be my other thought, but if he doesn't have any slippage in forward gears then I'm not sure. Since reverse is totally gone you would think the input shaft nut but that usually occurs with slipping in 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

What happens when you put it in reverse, is there any engagement, is there any noises, buzzing, or otherwise unusual?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
jimyoung28

No, no unusal sounds, revving the engine changes nothing either.....can the coils be purchased alone...or are they part of a kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Special Forces

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyoung28 View Post
No, no unusal sounds, revving the engine changes nothing either.....can the coils be purchased alone...or are they part of a kit.
Coils? You mean solenoids? They can be purchased individually, yes, however I don't know which one it would be and trying to play a guessing game with solenoids is an expensive hobby. Each of them is like $40-$60.

You have a few options. You can either check the input shaft nut and see if it's loose. If it is you found your problem and you tighten back up to torque spec. If it isn't then I'm thinking your problem lies within the valve body.

The cheapest fix I think your looking at is going to a pick and pull and finding a valve body from a 1992+ S-series car (the more recent the year the better, means less wear and tear) and putting the Sonnax kit you put in yours now into that one. Swap the valve bodies out and see if it fixes it. If it does your done. If it doesn't and you already checked the input shaft nut, I'm at a loss.

But my guess is the valve body, try and get one at a pick n' pull. They cost $25 when I get them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

For all the folks who are re-torquing their Input Shaft Nut, this from the FSM . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISN.jpg (49.5 KB, 117 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
jimyoung28

Ok...I just did the seafoam(I use the stuff in my outboards,its great!) new filter etc and ran the car in reverse for 1 hour...no change...so off to pick-a- part and inputshaft retorque.........Thanks All

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Special Forces

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyoung28 View Post
Ok...I just did the seafoam(I use the stuff in my outboards,its great!) new filter etc and ran the car in reverse for 1 hour...no change...so off to pick-a- part and inputshaft retorque.........Thanks All
Do the valve body fix first and then see if the problem goes away. I'm thinking if you don't have any slippage in forward gears then the input shaft nut should be alright.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
jimyoung28

I will do that.....the valve body is a lot easier than taking off that cover etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
sidney004
sidney004 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Don't forget to use a new gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sidney004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sidney004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sidney004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney004 View Post
Don't forget to use a new gasket.
Input Nut SN21001680
Output Nut SN21001679
Gasket SN21001684

REWARD EXCELLENCE!