SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

Default Worst Service - Ever

So I take the Outlook in for an oil change, a top off of the fluids, and a tire rotation at Orlando's finest (and only) Saturn chain. The fronts have a little less tread so it is time to swap. Should be in and out in an hour and everything fine, right?

Trip 1 - As I am leaving, I ask why my tire pressure reads wildly different on each tire. I am told that after I drive a few miles they will reset and everything will be fine. When I get home (after 25 miles), the tire pressures are still way off (6 pounds difference between the tires). I am a little frustrated and look under the hood to see if they at least topped off the fluids correctly. They did not. The coolant is well below the "full" line. The engine is warm and the full line is for cold so it is way off

Trip 2 - I point out the differences in tire pressure and the fact that the mechanic didn't touch the coolant. Apologies all around, they get it right in, and back to me fairly quickly. Good solution, right? Well, no. This mechanic's air pressure gauge turns out to be broken. All of the tire pressures read different than when I dropped it off. I figured it would just take a little while to read correctly. When I get home it turns out that three of the tires are now OVER inflated by 3-4 pound (up to 39 psi) and the left rear is only at 34. I look at the coolant and it is still at the same level

Trip 3 - By this point I am furious. I have now driven 100+ miles and they still have not done a basic oil change and rotation correctly. They adjust the tire pressures again and top off the coolant (for real this time). They filled the car with gas and offered a free oil change. OK, so mistakes happen and granted, this is pretty poor service, but they seemed like they really felt bad so I let it go. After the weekend, I am walking by the car and look at the front tires. They look like the tread is worn. The rears? Much more tread. They either swapped front for front or never even did the rotation. I am livid

Trip 4 - I ask for the actual store manager this time. He can't believe what he hears. They service guy confirms everything. They fill the car, wash it, and offer more free oil changes and tire rotations

It looks like they finally got it right. However, I only went in for three things. 1) Oil change 2) Fluids topped off 3) Tire rotation. If they had only done ONE of each thing right during each visit I would not have had to go to the dealership FOUR TIMES IN A ROW. They gave me coupons for oil changes etc. but who in the world would EVER want to go back to such an incompetent group of mechanics and employees? I don't have the courage to check the oil to see if it looks clear or is dark brown. I fear that after all this, they never fixed the one thing I didn't check.

Needless to say, Central Florida's Saturn dealerships are working hard to keep their reputation as the worst Saturn stores in America

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Worst Service - Ever

Ikes. Every dealer can have off days...but that's just bizarre, 4+ times. Once the first issue was noted, someone should have taken charge and made sure all was fixed and no one else was subjected to similar issues. At least you speaking with management, some heads should rule, at least a bit.

Were they at all "busy" the first or subsequent times? Shouldn't have any effect, but curious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

thats why i always say anything touched should be checked when you get home. many many dealerrship oil change people do not know how to adjust tire pressures. sorry to those who do but many dont. most i see are like your ties. just correct them when you get home. we just had an aura done here oil change tire rotation etc just like yours. one tire was at 15 pounds when leaving. others we 42,39,34. you might say well wouldnt the light be on. it was and they still didnt notice. i can pretty much guarantee this guy didnt relearn tire positions on your outlook. he probably doesnt even know what it is

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
mickbee
mickbee is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma View Post
Needless to say, Central Florida's Saturn dealerships are working hard to keep their reputation as the worst Saturn stores in America
I am glad I drove the 25 miles to Saturn on the Lakes!

Sorry to hear of your experience..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mickbee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mickbee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Maybe they just don't like you

Maybe

Maybe you were just looking to get something for free

Maybe

Maybe

Lots of Maybeeeeeeeeeeee's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Usually and not at all dealerships, the lowest tech on the totem pole is given the "honor" of changing oil and rotating tires. The senior guys opt for the full service and jobs that are more time consuming but that can be completed in less time.
Also, anything done on a Friday especially in the afternoon, is likely to be rushed.

2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

I had a bad/good experience lately with my retailer as well. I took my Sky in for an oil change and tire rotation. I made the appt days in advance and was told it would take an hour. I arrived right on time (11:45) and headed to the waiting area. I decided to get up and wander the lot and noticed my car parked outside of the service area at 12:00. I went back in a read a magazine, then checked again and my car was still parked at 12:15. I wandered around a little more and at 12:30 the car was still sitting there. I went in to the service writer who greeted me when I arrived and inquired about when my service would be conducted and how much longer I'd have to wait beyond the hour I was originally quoted. He got really huffy and said he was understaffed because it was lunch time and said "I told you it would take about an hour". I explained that the car had been parked for 45 minutes past the appointment time. He shrugged and said it would be done ASAP. I went back to the waiting area again. I didn't get the car back until 1:25 and was late getting back to work. The service writer apologized for the poor service and then covered the charges for both the oil change and tire rotation, which was a good thing because I could already envision myself filling out their quality survey! They ultimately handled it well but I was still very disappointed in my first Saturn service visit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
sixsigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Maybe they just don't like you

Maybe

Maybe you were just looking to get something for free

Maybe

Maybe

Lots of Maybeeeeeeeeeeee's
So I understand what you are saying... I cast a spell over the dealership and had them 1) not rotate my tires 2) not top off the fluids (twice) 3) not properly inflate the tires (twice). I did that even though I would have to drive 200 miles just to get my oil changed and tires rotated. And your logic is that I used my "magic" because I wanted to get a free $25 oil change or because they intentionally wanted to alienate a customer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Dalejr
Dalejr is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Are you sure they reprogramed the tire pressure monitor system after they did the tire rotation??

2007 Outlook FWD XR Pearl Silver, Convnience Pkg, Touring Pkg, Premium Trim Pkg, Trailering Pkg, Dual Sunroof, Molded Mudguards
2006 Eclipse GT 6-Speed UV Blue Pearl, Premium Sport Pkg, Accessory Pkg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dalejr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dalejr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dalejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Bruce_Lee
Bruce_Lee is on a distinguished road

Sixsigma,
I know how you feel. I am not having any luck here in the San Francisco Bay Area either.

Don't listen to SaturnSdn....he probably works for a Saturn Dealer...

I still love my '08 Outlook XR..but the dealers....that's another story....

I am staying away from them unless I need warranty work. Hopefully never.

BL...

2008 Saturn Outlook XR FWD
Silver exter and ebony cloth interior
Navigation (w/ rear view camera)
Trailering Pkg.

No brand loyalty; My loyalty is to my money!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce_Lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce_Lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
sixsigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalejr View Post
Are you sure they reprogramed the tire pressure monitor system after they did the tire rotation??
No, they did not do that. What happened is that I asked why the tire pressure monitor system showed pressures that were not set at 35 psi as I was about to leave the dealership. They told me that it would take several miles before the system "adjusted" and showed the accurate pressures. In other words, they said the tires were set correctly and it was just a matter of waiting until the gauge accurately reflected it in the display. As it turns out, the pressure system adjusts right away and the tires were all off.

Bruce_Lee, one of the reasons I was interested in a Saturn was because I thought that the dealership experience would be a positive one. Needless to say, that is not the case. I am with you - any future servicing will be done elsewhere unless it is under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Dalejr
Dalejr is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma View Post
No, they did not do that. What happened is that I asked why the tire pressure monitor system showed pressures that were not set at 35 psi as I was about to leave the dealership. They told me that it would take several miles before the system "adjusted" and showed the accurate pressures. In other words, they said the tires were set correctly and it was just a matter of waiting until the gauge accurately reflected it in the display. As it turns out, the pressure system adjusts right away and the tires were all off.
Well what I ment was did they do a relearn of the tire positions on the DIC ?

2007 Outlook FWD XR Pearl Silver, Convnience Pkg, Touring Pkg, Premium Trim Pkg, Trailering Pkg, Dual Sunroof, Molded Mudguards
2006 Eclipse GT 6-Speed UV Blue Pearl, Premium Sport Pkg, Accessory Pkg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dalejr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dalejr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dalejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
sixsigma

I asked and they said "yes". I guess that means that the mechanic swapped the tires side to side instead of front to back. Not good but I guess better than not doing it at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive View Post
I had a bad/good experience lately with my retailer as well. I took my Sky in for an oil change and tire rotation. I made the appt days in advance and was told it would take an hour. I arrived right on time (11:45) and headed to the waiting area. I decided to get up and wander the lot and noticed my car parked outside of the service area at 12:00. I went back in a read a magazine, then checked again and my car was still parked at 12:15. I wandered around a little more and at 12:30 the car was still sitting there. I went in to the service writer who greeted me when I arrived and inquired about when my service would be conducted and how much longer I'd have to wait beyond the hour I was originally quoted. He got really huffy and said he was understaffed because it was lunch time and said "I told you it would take about an hour". I explained that the car had been parked for 45 minutes past the appointment time. He shrugged and said it would be done ASAP. I went back to the waiting area again. I didn't get the car back until 1:25 and was late getting back to work. The service writer apologized for the poor service and then covered the charges for both the oil change and tire rotation, which was a good thing because I could already envision myself filling out their quality survey! They ultimately handled it well but I was still very disappointed in my first Saturn service visit.
Well, at least they acknowledged your appointment and made a concession for you.

I have had cases in the past where I make an appointment weeks in advance, drop the car off the morning of the appointment (8:00am or so) and ask if I can pick it up at 4:30 that evening. Essentially allowing almost 9 hours for routine work. Dealers have actually told me they can't guarantee the car will done the same day because people have dropped off cars before me between 7:30 and 8:00 and they get done first. When I ask what good making an appointment is, I get some stupid response that they sometimes overbook because people tend to cancel or not show up. When everyone shows up that made an appointment, they fall behind.

Has anyone tried that Goodwrench quick-lube service at dealers? They guarantee it is done in 29 minutes or the next one is free. Some dealers even claim no appointment is necessary...just show up. It is usually around $33 or so...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i believe the sky has unidirectional tires so you cant switch sides.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
saturnguy
saturnguy is on a distinguished road

You want good service? Drive West to Saturn of Port Richey, lol!

oh yeah, Saturn of the Lakes? ROFLMAO!!!!

"Scooter"
Saturn of Port Richey
I HEART MY AVATAR!!
Own-em, Sell-em, Love-em, Race-em & Break-em...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #17
stocksaturn
stocksaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SC2

That is a bogus deal you got there. That’s why I say once the warranties are gone and free oil changes exhausted it's time to stat doing work your self. Because in most cases the saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself" is very true. But no matter what the deal service like that won't win anyone’s heart. You should not have to drive out of your way for a fluid top off and oil change. GL man.

HEY EVERYBODY! AFTER A 9 month hiatus, I'm back!
2005 V6 AWD Vue (Hue)39K K&N CAI/Syntec/NGK's-265 CHP/Open exhaust!
1993 Pontiac TA (Black bird) 122K-CAI-FOR SALE!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stocksaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stocksaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stocksaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
sixsigma

That is why I am struggling with buying a Saturn again. Why wouldn't I buy a Chevy instead? At least if I don't like one service department, I have several more within just a few miles of my house. I probably drive by two just to get to the Saturn dealer. Two more are probably within another 10 - 15 miles.

I thought the whole point of buying a Saturn was the way they take care of the customers. Seems like all I read on these pages are how crappy the dealers are. Am I missing something or has the network gone down substantially vs. the reputation?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

IMO Saturn service used to be greatest on the planet. Since they've been assimilated by GM, making a quick buck is their main goal. Not customer satisfaction. They used to have a captive client with their unique products.

Unfortunately for them their current cars are now just re-badged GM cars and owners don't need to rely on them as they did in the past. Up until a year ago I could trust my Saturn dealer, now I have severe doubts about their integrity and ability.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #20
stocksaturn
stocksaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SC2

I thinks their are still some "true" Saturn dealers out there. Like my local one, Saturn of Tinley Park, IL. They have been giving our family super service for over 15 years. Never had an issue and always friendly, honest and fast. Hard to get that nowadays.

HEY EVERYBODY! AFTER A 9 month hiatus, I'm back!
2005 V6 AWD Vue (Hue)39K K&N CAI/Syntec/NGK's-265 CHP/Open exhaust!
1993 Pontiac TA (Black bird) 122K-CAI-FOR SALE!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stocksaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stocksaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stocksaturn is offline   Reply With Quote